PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Sportsman Mud Splashing Issue?

waterhead
03-11-2009, 10:16 AM
OK I KNOW BEFORE I EVEN ASK ILL BE CALLED A SISSY FOR NOT WANTING TO GET MUDDY...BUT IT GETS OLD SOME TIMES! LOL EVERY TIME I RIDE MY 04 500 HO I CAN HIT A MUD HOLE IN GRANNY GEAR SPEED AND I STILL GET MUD ALL OVER MY LEGS AND FEET. SOMETIMES ITS FUN BUT WHEN ITS COLD AND CRUDDY SOMETIMES ITS NOT! ANYONE EVER PUT ANYTHING ON THEIR TRACTOR TO HELP WITH THIS? MINE IS TOTALLY STOCK... BEEN CONSIDERING MAKING MY OWN SKID PLATE/BELLY PAN BUT WANTED TO GET YOUR IMPUT FIRST. MY BUDDY HAS A 08 800 AND IT ISNT NEARLY AS BAD... ANY IDEAS OR PICS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! THIS SITE ROCKS!

rundrave
03-11-2009, 11:20 AM
pure polaris used to offer some fender extenders, i dont beleive they carry them anymore but you might be able to find a dealer that still has some or even ebay

waterhead
03-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Yes done tried that route...bought a set off ebay for $15.00 plus shipping. but they wont fit a 2004...just previous yrs : (
oh well...back to the drawing board. thanks anyway budro.:D

tireman43
03-11-2009, 02:57 PM
I hear what your saying. I am the only Popo in my riding group and hate being the most muddy when we are done riding for the day.

The new Sportsmans have more coverage in the floorboard area. So what I did was take some thin sheet metal and screwed it on the inner parts of the fenders(near the oil tank and filter). What I found is that most of the splash seemed to come from the inside of the tire coming through. I can handle the little bit that the fenders/fender flares misses on the outside. If I can get some pics I'd be happy to share. I didn't completely eliminate the problem but it helped.

Kevin

waterhead
03-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks man! I appreciate that! I couldnt really tell where mine was coming from...but does seem like a lot comes from that are at the oil filter. was thinking of some kind of a shield there to. Id love to see yours. I bought a piece of diamond plate today at Lowe's (Holy Crap its expensive!!) and Im thinking of a combination splash pan/frame protector. think itd make my tractor run hot if i seal off the bottom somewhat? I figure enough air comes in from the fromt and sides to keep things cool...ill try to take some pics on my progress. Thanks again buddy!