PDA

View Full Version : do u need xtra cooling for the 440

bazmaster03
03-11-2009, 08:22 AM
hey do you need like extra cooling for a 440 engine .... or will it run at a cool enough tempature still ...i would have though it would create too much heat but not sure let me know plz

rideracelivemx7
03-11-2009, 08:53 AM
it does get noticably toasty, expecially right after the rebuild before it wears in, dont wear shorts:D but lot of people like to do the spal fan cooler mod, i did it with CPU fans haha and it worked nicely, dont keep it idling in spots for a long time, keep it moving, other than that, cam the beast, i didnt think it was worth it to go with out a cam on my buddies 440 kit compairing to mine, other than that have fun :p

bazmaster03
03-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by rideracelivemx7
it does get noticably toasty, expecially right after the rebuild before it wears in, dont wear shorts:D but lot of people like to do the spal fan cooler mod, i did it with CPU fans haha and it worked nicely, dont keep it idling in spots for a long time, keep it moving, other than that, cam the beast, i didnt think it was worth it to go with out a cam on my buddies 440 kit compairing to mine, other than that have fun :p
thanx for the info its actually a quad from my brothers buddy that has a 440 equipped with a k&n, white brother exhaust and a cam ... dont know what level it is .... the rad hasnt been modified at all... would air scoop work too for xtra cooling ..... but it also has nerf bars ,handguards ...

hes asking 3 350$ canadian ....seems to be a decent deal for the stuff that is on the quad...let me know what you think ...quads the same year and size sell for around 3000-3500 stock and maybe a few cosmetic parts

rideracelivemx7
03-11-2009, 12:31 PM
so its not an ex? because i think you said "rad" which i think means radiator to me lol if it had radiators then you dont even have to worry about the bike, but it if air cooled like the odd 400ex then shrouds will work wonders for the big boar.

bazmaster03
03-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by rideracelivemx7
so its not an ex? because i think you said "rad" which i think means radiator to me lol if it had radiators then you dont even have to worry about the bike, but it if air cooled like the odd 400ex then shrouds will work wonders for the big boar.
yes it is the ex cuz when i said rad imeant like the oil cooler its like a rad ..in my mind ...what do you mean by shrouds... the guy says he never had a problem with it overheating ... iam just checking if it would be better to cram more air to cool the engine or if its just fine as it is ...thnx for the info

honda400ex2003
03-11-2009, 01:16 PM
He is talking about the air shrouds or scoops. They make a difference to mine but not a whole lot. but every bit helps. Get a set and check the temps with it fully warmed up then go from there. I run about 210-220 on mine most of the time. The spal fans are really nice too from what I have read. I jimmy rigged a fan on mine for a while and it did help quite a bit. I got bored one day and had an old fan out a car that mounted on the dash. I jsut took off all of the mounting hardware and ziptied it in place to see if it worked. I was crude but cool none the less. Good luck steve

Wheelie
03-11-2009, 07:44 PM
The SPAL fan helps a lot. E85 makes a drastic difference.