PDA

View Full Version : carrier bearing or axle bearing?

400thacker
03-11-2009, 12:30 AM
well I let my cousin use my quad for a couple days and when I get it back, the axle is wobbling in the carrier. it moves ALOT! doesn't feel like it even has a bearing in the right side. is there a possibility I will have to replace the carrier too?
any imput is helpfull.
also, I was just going to swap compete swingarm because i have a spare quad but I CAN'T GET THE SWINGARM BOLT OUT! I have read threads both nothing so far works. I turned it on it's side and beat the chit out of it with a sledge while turning the other side. I had to weld a bigger nut the the thing and use a 5ft breaker to get it to turn. the spacer is what is siezed. I heated the spacer with a propane torch, tried to put a little weld to it and everything to heat it up. also tried PB blaster on it and still nothing. I did get the nut off, get the bolt to free up everywhere except the spacer and also managed to *** UP the threads with the sledge. BTW I tried a wood block first but that wasn't going to cut it.

how the hell are you supposed to get in there with a cutting torch without damaging the swingarm and or engine cases. if you do cut it, it would disfigure the bolt so much you would never get it out.

thanks for the help.
Dan
again, anything is helpfull

hondaking52
03-11-2009, 03:30 AM
well for the bearings the only way to tell is to take it apart and see how bad it is, then go from there, as for the swinger bolt, sawsall would be a better idea i think....

mitchamus
03-11-2009, 05:40 AM
If your looking for a whole carrier burgard has them on sale this month 100 shipped.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=384769

krt400ex
03-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by hondaking52
well for the bearings the only way to tell is to take it apart and see how bad it is, then go from there, as for the swinger bolt, sawsall would be a better idea i think....

yea. the same thing happened to my buddy who was working on a 400. he owns a shop. took a sawsall to it and cut it in four places. took him a long time though

krt400ex
03-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by mitchamus
If your looking for a whole carrier burgard has them on sale this month 100 shipped.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=384769

thank you for that information. i need a carrier for my quad lol. sorry if i jacking the thread dont mean to

400exc
03-11-2009, 07:05 PM
I carefully torched off the head of the bolt and beat it out the opposite way. It seemed to work for me after hitting it for a while.