PDA

View Full Version : '86 250R Help!!!

DESDAK4
12-27-2002, 06:38 AM
My buddy bought an 1986 250R off ebay and it got here yesterday and we need some help from all you R owners. I would like to get as many tips and tricks for working on these things as you can give and I would also like a bunch of pics. with and without plastic as this thing has more empty bolt wholes than I have ever seen. I would also like to know what kind of airbos setup you guys run on them as this one showed up without one and that will just not do up here.

Bring all you know and thanks,

Jay
USAF

joeroadking
12-27-2002, 06:42 AM
go to honda of troy and look at the online parts section to see whats missing and parts #s, I use a stock air box

Texan32
12-27-2002, 07:00 AM
Jay,
So, if finally showed up huh? Sounds like you buddy got a little hosed on the deal? Or did he know that is was in not as good a shape? Anyhow, if you decide to go riding anytime soon, i'm gonna warn ya. FOLLOW THE SLED TRACKS. I tried riding to work yesturday. WORST ride if even takes. Got stuck 4 times, nearly rolled 3 times. The bolts that hold the baffle on the DMC vibrated out. The baffle shot out and had to ride 1/4 mile on an open pipe...thought my ears were gonna 'splode:rolleyes:

DESDAK4
12-27-2002, 07:07 AM
No he thought it was in better shape than it is but I think with the help of these guys I might be able to make it right for not too much money. Sounds like a crappy ride I haven't been out as I have been installing my airbos and stuff but it does look pretty bad. My old buddies DMC did something like that when it was new. It is going to be warmer in the nest few days maybe that will help.

Jay
USAF

AndrewRRR
12-27-2002, 08:26 AM
Try ebay or used parts sections on this forum and the R forum for an airbox if you don't want to shell out $200 for an aluminum one. www.servicehonda.com has exploded drawings in the parts section so you can see what you are missing.

DESDAK4
12-27-2002, 09:44 PM
Here are some of the pics of the 250R my buddy got yesterday. I took the plastic off because it is in ok shape. Tell me if anything stands out as wrong with this thing. Also if any one know trick to get them to start that would be great. Sorry the pics aren't so good but it is cold out there.

Jay
USAF

DESDAK4
12-27-2002, 09:46 PM

DESDAK4
12-27-2002, 09:47 PM

DESDAK4
12-27-2002, 09:50 PM

DESDAK4
12-27-2002, 09:54 PM
And since I was there how about a pic of my new pipe:D

Thanks again,
Jay
USAF

DESDAK4
12-27-2002, 09:58 PM
I didn't get any pics up here but we do know we are missing the two front motor mounts and an airbox all together other that it's just little things I think. That we can get we are just looking for tips and tricks to help a bit.

Jay
USAF

AndrewRRR
12-27-2002, 11:40 PM
Looks pretty good. I'd definately clean up the wiring/cable routing in the front end, but I'm into detail work. How about pics of the problem areas like footpeg area, motor, etc. It's nice to see more R's going to good hands :)
To quote Hemming's Classic Car, "Don't crush em, restore em!"

killed300ex
12-28-2002, 06:04 AM
man thats not really that bad shape its pretty good i thikn but the pics arnt the best in the world. But think from what ur saying with a lil bit of money he will have a good quad. If its missing motor mounts i wouldn't start it until you do get those put on because when its runing there is gonna be so much pressure on the back motor mounts and the last thing you want to do it crack those.\
killed

joeroadking
12-28-2002, 08:05 AM
If you are serouis about getting advise. remove the gas tank and take some close up pics of the right and left hand side of engine frame area all I can tell you from thouse photos is it is missing a front bumper! and is pretty much all there .is the top engine mount on there?:confused:is the case saver there? how is the compression? any spark ?

crazyatvn
12-28-2002, 08:16 AM
i would get motor mounts first before starting if you crack a case you will regret al the work to fix it. Does it have good compression?

250rmike
12-28-2002, 11:03 AM
everything they said. definatley get the motor mounts. also go to a local hard ware store and replace any worn or bad bolts with so nice stainless or anything like that. also it might just be the pic but the rear section of the frame looks twisted just a tad.

Bean
12-28-2002, 11:40 AM
well, you can run the bike withOUT the top motormount, like i am at the molment, because i lost it,

the compression needs to be around 120 i believe to fire over, i cant remember all the numbers anymore, check the oil drain bolt, it may be stripped, and rethread it before you try and drain the oil out at your local pit and find its stripped, check your rad lines for cracks, and the reserve bottle on the back for a hole in it, i ahve put several holes in mine

beerock
12-28-2002, 11:52 AM
deslacs400ex, please take some SIDEVIEW pics.

make sure theres plenty of light too.

I really cant make anything out on your side pics.

Also, if your motor is anywhere near 120 psi Call 911

That is way to low for a r motor, stock compression is around 160-175.
now go get some sideview pics..:D

bansheeguy77
12-28-2002, 12:17 PM
are stock r axles african american??

Bean
12-28-2002, 01:00 PM
no, its painted or PC'd or whatever

deathman53
12-28-2002, 02:14 PM
the motor mounts look to be a 87 design, the mounts on my 86 r look different , but look good, check the frame for cracks especially around foot pegs, front motor mounts, bottom motor mounts, and by the steering stem holder. Alot of people don't run the upper motor mount it really isn't needed, most of the time they crack from vibration.

DESDAK4
12-28-2002, 07:33 PM
Yes I know you guys need some better pics but I have jsut been crazy busy and get out to the garage until dark but tomorrow is a sit on my ***** day so I will go out during the day and get some. I might have been able to the other night if my batteries would not have died in the camera. Keep the info coming guys and I will have pice for you tomorrow.

Thanks for the help
Jay
USAF

DESDAK4
12-29-2002, 10:36 AM
Ok this is the best I can do for know I need batteries and it will be a few days before I go into town.

DESDAK4
12-29-2002, 10:38 AM

DESDAK4
12-29-2002, 10:40 AM

250rmike
12-29-2002, 10:57 AM
all i can see is some motor mounts and possibly some paint but u dont ned paint. also that kick starter shouldnt be on there ill take that of ur hands and get a nice stock one plus some cash hahaha

Bean
12-29-2002, 12:07 PM
is the bottom motormount it, its right below the shifter

250rmike
12-29-2002, 12:40 PM
check the frame for cracks especially if the guy ran it like that. the bottom motor mounts will prolly be cracked. they are under the stator cover in the midle of the motor not the shifter. check the swingarm for cracks and make surethe motor doesnt leak oil. mine used to from the oil drain hole but it was only cause the bolt wasnt in it.lol no it was causethe washer was messed up. also get a case saver on there

crazyatvn
12-29-2002, 03:46 PM
you are missing the upper frame suport the ties to the head.

joeroadking
12-29-2002, 03:51 PM
from the pics it loooks like that bike was pieced together to sell on ebay, no front mounts ,no headmount,actually no half of it is still bolted to the frame they just blasted right over it ,case saver broken off spray bomb paint job with overspray? dripping down on engine,or is that custum paint on motor hard to tell from photo? bolt missing on intake reed cage , no airbox most grommets and hardware missing, shocks hidden under covers...hmm wonder if there are internal parts in the motor? ! no flame intended! the good news is all that stuff is available and pretty cheap on ebay.