PDA

View Full Version : Clutch wont disengage after oil change!

BULLET99Z28
03-10-2009, 08:17 PM
2003 ex, got it last fall, only rode it around the yard and over to the old mans house once this winter, ran and rode great. Well today I changed the oil and adjusted the valves to spec. Started it up and it ran great. I used 10w40 valvoine 4stroke oil(bottle says wet clutch protection). I let it run, topped off the oil and let it sit while I did some cleaning on the rest of the quad. Well For some reason I pulled the clutch in, and it wouldnt budge, it seemed that maybe the cable adjuster vibrated lose, not it. Then the clutch gave way, but it sounded funny down in the case, so I started it up(rear end off the ground), put it in 1st, and when I pull the clutch in it wont stop powering the wheels. I tried adjusting the cable play, didnt work. The cable seems to be stickin, and I have a spare cable in good shape I can throw on to see if that helps. If that doesn't work, what the heck could've happened just from changing the oil? Thanks for your help, long time lurker, 1st time poster.

BULLET99Z28
03-11-2009, 12:16 PM
bump fellas, thanks

BigLuke
03-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Hard to say with out it in front of me. Take it to someone that repairs atvs in your area. Could be a broke clutch arm.

rideracelivemx7
03-11-2009, 12:29 PM
orrrr save the money and dont throw in the towel so easy, dang is that all you do?

i say save your self some money and pull off the 12 bolts on that side of the case, 8mm, disegage the cable and pull off the case and see what the deal is, i havent had this problem but its not becuase of your oil, something failed, just pop off the 5 10mm bolts in the hub, pull out the springs and inspect the disks, and report back to us. ill help you as much as i can

honda400ex2003
03-11-2009, 01:35 PM
did you possibly use synthetic oil it might make it slip but I don't know about to the point of not releasing at all.. Something could have broke. mine does not always stop when it is on the jack. take the side off and check it out. the springs may need to be tighten a bit too. good luck steve

BULLET99Z28
03-11-2009, 03:55 PM
I will never take any vehicle/toy to a shop guys, I'm very mechanically inclined- built several camaro's and race sprint cars for a hobby, anyhow... I'm just gonna pop the cover off, take inspect the clutch arm and take apart the disks, and install and adjust the spare cable that I have. Maybe a disk is just hangin up, it doesn't make any odd noises when it runs, just when you pull in the clutch it sounds like something is hanging up. Keep ya'll posted.

honda400ex2003
03-11-2009, 08:51 PM
sounds good. steve

BULLET99Z28
03-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Fixed! Pulled the cover, took the clutches out, inspected and put back together. I think the shifter arm coming up out of the case got misaligned some how, and I replaced the cable. Everything works fine, cleaned that little screen while I was in there.

honda400ex2003
03-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Congrats, good to hear it was something easy. steve

matt14c
03-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Good to hear. About the clutch cable I was going through like one a year on ex from dirt and crap and wasnt sure why because i dont really get it dirty. So I bought some cable lube from my dealer and it came with some little crap tool to help put it on it really helped havent broke another cable since and that was like 4 years ago.