PDA

View Full Version : New rear tires

racrgirl
12-27-2002, 05:57 AM
I need to get some new rear tires and I'm having some troubles deciding what size and type I need. I currently have a 330 EX with Ohtsu (?) 20x10x9. I would like to get the new Razr II's, but they don't have that same size listed. What size can I get? If they don't fit, would Holeshots work? TIA

TravEX
12-27-2002, 06:15 AM
i would suggest 20-11-9 Razors, their great tires!

Pappy
12-27-2002, 06:26 AM
i second the razors....:)

Ex'r Marlin
12-27-2002, 07:43 AM
If you like your current tires, but are looking for a more durable tire... I would recommend the ITP Holeshot XCR's that are 20x11x9... They are very close in actual diameter. If you are looking for a slightly larger diameter for more ground clearance, either the Maxxis Razr's 20x11x9 or ITP Holeshot XC's 20x11x9 would be highly recommended!:)

Good luck!

racrgirl
12-28-2002, 07:01 PM
Going to go with the 20x11x9 Razor II. I think I will go ahead and put a set of 22x7x10 on the front. What do you think?
:rolleyes:

Ex'r Marlin
12-28-2002, 08:50 PM
Have you thought about the 21" fronts? Again, I do not know what type of riding you will be doing, but 20" rear tires with 22" fronts definetly gives you a lot of rear traction, but adds a little more weight than the 21" fronts.

Again, good luck!:)

bmw500hp
12-29-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin
Have you thought about the 21" fronts? Again, I do not know what type of riding you will be doing, but 20" rear tires with 22" fronts definetly gives you a lot of rear traction, but adds a little more weight than the 21" fronts.

Marlin.. with the razor 2's at 20" rears, do you prefer the 21" on the front or the 22"s..??. any noticable difference in steering on your machine..?? I guess my question is really "why would you choose the 21's on the front....

AC 400 ex 02
12-29-2002, 09:05 PM
razrs! i just got myself a pair for the rear and i love them...they are great for all around riding:)

RED121572
12-30-2002, 07:11 AM
Here we go, I know Im gonna get bashed for this one....;)

Most say get a set of Razors, I disagree. Ive got Razors on my other bike and Im not really jumping for joy over them. The front Razors track and stick so well, but the rears kick out a bit too easily.

If I were in your shoes, I would go with stock 400EX tires. They are light, great in snow. Ive had great luck with them on hard packed surfaces. I personally havent had a problem with them as far as climbing hills either.

What I dont like about the stockers is when I had to 180 in tight conditions, the rears would grip too well. They would unable me to spin the quad around on a dime. Thats a great advantage of the Razors, you can spin the quad around so easily.

Good luck with your choice, bud. Ok, let the bashing begin...free shot!! :D :D

Ex'r Marlin
12-30-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by bmw500hp

Marlin.. with the razor 2's at 20" rears, do you prefer the 21" on the front or the 22"s..??. any noticable difference in steering on your machine..?? I guess my question is really "why would you choose the 21's on the front....
I would choose 21" fronts if I was doing a lot of light to medium trail riding with some jumping and hard cornering involved. Reason: Lighter tire, and the 21's would give you more weight over the front to keep from pushing, but you will loose some rear traction... Which the 300ex has a lot of! Unless something has changed, you can not get the 21" front tires with the higher ply tires... Like the 22" XC's (etc.) Knowing what type of riding you do or want to do, will help in making the decision. I personally run the higher ply tires, but that is because I like the added security of them... I will sacrifice weight on the tires.

Even for the 400... I would still think it would be worth looking into. If you have a lot of traction to the rear and you find yourself having your fronts push more than you would like, you would want to lower your front by either lowering your front suspension, going to lower handle bars, or by going to a smaller diameter tire.

Note: Going to a smaller diameter tire will help in turns, but will not go over obstacles as easily. (Plus you will loose some ground clearance):rolleyes: