PDA

View Full Version : YFZ450 or Raptor 700?

sparky73
03-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Which would be the better buy? Here is the 2006 YFZ450.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250385733145&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

I am really lost on which one to get. I have never ridden a Raptor 700 (just an 01' 660). I am a pretty light guy weighing it at around 150/160. It will be for a lot of trail riding and there are also 10 or so area's where I ride to really open it up also (dirt/sand).

I like the YFZ because because it comes modded, but not over-done. I know the reserve and am willing to spend it. It is around $4500.. I think maybe a little lower. The drive is a little further but that doesn't bother me. I don't like the YFZ just because I have heard quite a few people not liking the ride comfort. Also I have read that it isn't the greatest on trails. Also the ding in the A-arm worries me.. should it?

I like the 700 because it was hardly ridden, have heard it has awesome low end torque so trails are a blast, is fuel injected - which seems like all plus's there, and the price is only 4000 (and it's been on the market for about 2 weeks) so I know I can get it cheaper. I don't like it because it is bone stock, and I'd like to at least have some pipes.. and buying this new quad will be my last purchase for at least a couple months. Here is the into on it:

2006 Yamaha Raptor 700. Very fast fuel injected. Women owned. Low miles. With rear paddle tires.

sparky73
03-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Also, I forgot to ask something. From the looks of the pictures, the front end looks wider than normal. Is this because of the +3 a-arms? I have a feeling this would effect trail riding quite a bit (in a poor way).

So now one more.. how is the steering on either? Are you able to make sharp turns or do you have to whip the back end around on every corner?

400exrider69
03-11-2009, 08:24 PM
i can say that the yfz with the bigger a-arms won't fit thru the average woods
if you buy the yfz the a-arms would be worth a good bit even if there beat up a little

sparky73
03-12-2009, 12:24 PM
I decided to purchase the YFZ. I will see what happens when riding trails, but was told by the PO that it made it through fine. If I have any problems, I can look into swapping the a arms. How much are those worth?

I'm also looking into tires. I think I have decided to look into Maxxis Razr tires. Any comments or suggestions, please feel free. I'm looking for a quality tire for dirt, sand and trail.

sparky73
03-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Also, what size tires should I go for? What's the all around recommended size for fronts and rears?