PDA

View Full Version : Put on the Ct exhaust today

mity4
03-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Well I got the exhaust on and it now pops under decel and also after it was warm up hit the throttle and bike died. I think it dieng is because I need to turn out the fuel screw a half a turn more ( I set it at 2 turns and used the 162 main jet ). So did anybody else have these problems and if so what was the fix.

outlawjeff
03-10-2009, 06:39 PM
i had the same issue i have my screw 3 turns out with a 165 main. i still have a little pop on deceliration which is normal. hope this helps

mity4
03-10-2009, 09:55 PM
I turned the fuel screw another half turn out and when it's warmed up I hit the throttle and it don't die any more. I wonder if the popping is because air is being sucked in on decel Because I like the Pipe but mine don't slide in all the way to the head. I tapped on it with a mallet and got the short tube about 75% on. The long one is about 95% on. Outlaw Jeff did you have to move the needle clip any or mess with the pilot jet. I hope that's what it's called.

Colby@C&DRacing
03-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Some of the popping could be from air leaking in at the header pipe connection. If you have your fuel screw out more than 2 turns you need to install a larger pilot jet.

eerhard09
03-11-2009, 09:12 AM
mity4, do you have a JD jet kit?

If you don't, spend the extra $70 for it and it will make life much better for you with the jetting!

mity4
03-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by eerhard09
mity4, do you have a JD jet kit?

If you don't, spend the extra $70 for it and it will make life much better for you with the jetting!

No I don't because the guys at Ct said they'll send me the main jet (4 of them ) and on the outlaw you don't need to change the others. I guess my next purchase may be the JD jet kit. My butt dyno ain't that good but I'm racing a yfz450 this weakend that I know were I stand against him and we will see what changes in power it made.

FiveTwentyFive
03-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Save yourself the embarassment and get it right BEFORE you run him. You'll want to make damn sure it won't die on a good throttle stab and that the jetting is dialed in. You don't want to blow it up because you were too lean now, would you?

sheriff525
03-11-2009, 02:26 PM
On the other end of the spectrum you don't want to wash your piston with to much fuel. It will also do some major damage.
The JD jet kid is worth it.

scuzz
03-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by sheriff525
On the other end of the spectrum you don't want to wash your piston with to much fuel. It will also do some major damage.

Sheriff,

What would happen if this happened? (washing the piston with too much fuel/running too rich)

Thanks!

sheriff525
03-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Well I am not going on any experience but my brothers Kawi 400. The guy he bought it from screwed the carb when he put the 440 kit in. Then trying to get the jetting right he striped the fuel screw. Then to make matters worse he jetted it way too rich. With all the extra fuel it was like having the choke on all the time but worse.

Now with all the fuel it didn't ignite properly leaving fuel in the chamber, which would mix with the oil and since gas is a solvent it just destroyed the oils lubrication properties thus washing out the piston.

Final result screwed compression, no power, hard to start and a pig to ride.

I hope it made sence. You just have to trust me when I say he absoulutly screwed up the carb.

scuzz
03-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Oh Ok, I thought you were saying something else.

Thanks for the info!

outlawjeff
03-11-2009, 08:15 PM
no i didnt mess with the pilot jet or the needle at all. i have had mine on for over a year and when i pull the plug out to check it, it's burning perfectly.

mity4
03-11-2009, 11:06 PM
How can you tell if the jettings right, riding it it fells fine and no missing or bogging. I just don't want to have new shoe sendrome like when I was a kid and all of a sudden I thought I could run faster because of the new shoes.

somewon
03-12-2009, 08:36 AM
a plug chop is the best way to read the plug.

ride the quad around a little, bring the quad to 3/4 throttle or better under load (riding), hit the kill switch and pull the clutch. Now pull the plug and see what it looks like.

This will give you a better idea of how the plug is burning when you are actually riding the machine and not just how it burns at idle.

mity4
03-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by somewon
a plug chop is the best way to read the plug.

ride the quad around a little, bring the quad to 3/4 throttle or better under load (riding), hit the kill switch and pull the clutch. Now pull the plug and see what it looks like.

This will give you a better idea of how the plug is burning when you are actually riding the machine and not just how it burns at idle.

Thanks I'll have to try it that way then.

FiveTwentyFive
03-12-2009, 11:51 AM
mity4,

When you buy the JD Jetting kit, you get a very useful set of instructions for dialing in the jets. Plus you can e-mail James Dean with your specifics(make,model,engine size, altitude,etc.), and they will e-mail you back with a recommended starting point. This is how I dialed in mine and I got it spot on. I tried the chop test and it seemed too hard to get right and was inconclusive for me. If you get it to run right, then after a week or so just pull the plug out and read it then for a good idea of how you are doing on the richness. You might want to leave the stock leak jet in place, I could not get rid of a 1/4 throttle 'dead spot' with the leak jet mod.

Good luck!!