PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a second Quad? light and sporty..help

bpjr07
03-10-2009, 03:15 PM
well me and my bro just bought a new 08 polaris outlaw 525.

its has so much power i love it.

now for my second quad i want something nice sporty and dependable to hit the trails hard and also handle the dunes. looking for more of a good suspension light and fun to jump type. that should be ready stock.

looking at 05 and up just seeing if i find and decent cheap one out there.

my as of right now is Suzuki 400z, outlaw 450, or a honda 450

just wanna know what are the advantages and disadvantages of these. and if i should look at any other quads.

thanks

TJ Bradley
03-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Dependability you cant beat a honda. Suspension wise stock... id prob go towards suzukis or Kawis. But both are very tempermental and require alot of maintance. If your wantin somethin sporty and fun to play on and reliable, id get a TRX or ... as bad as i hate to say it, A yamachicken. Theyre both fun and your prob gonna be able to find either one close to stock for around 3k. Or theres a couple race ready ones ive seen for a little over 4K to 5K. Hope this helps. Good luck.

bpjr07
03-11-2009, 10:47 PM
yeah im going with a honda
since its dependable.. i really just want a second dependable quad that is also easy for the new users since i don't want anybody but me and my brother touching the outlaw 525s (even if its already been flipped lol.

so how much of a gap is a 350? 400? 450?

im looking at the 05 and up models im planing on buying a used one.

anything specific to look at when im out shopping... anything i should know about 05 and newer modles?
thanks for the help

TJ Bradley
03-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Well i bought mine With everything already done to it set up for Pro am MX. Motor work, full Long travel suspension, nerfs, beadlocks, Like everything you can do to one, And i picked up mine for 6600. This was back feburary of last year before the Economy went to hell. Ive seen a couple on here that are pretty trick for around 5. Ive seen a lot on here with like a pipe nerfs, bars, just some minor stuff for any where from 3,000 to to 4,000. Just depens on what n alls done to it and how bad they want to sell it. You can find deals you just gotta shop around. Theres an 05 trx here in my home town thats got a full white bros carbon pro exhaust, REV box, pro taper bars, Pro peg nerfs, Pro flow kit, HRC cam, ported head, GT thunder rebuilds and GT thunder mx link and its been babied, hes only askin 3200 for it. It might have 10 hours on it.

But when your lookin at one Make sure you check the frame for breaks, cracks, Welds where its been broke. around the upper motor mounts and lower motor mounts is the most common places. Make sure you ride it and hear it run, The 04/ 05 models crank bearings are bad to go out. So ask if its been into before and if these have been replaced.

Other than that man you should be good to go, its all in what you want and what you want to spend. You could get you a honda and build it where it'd run with that outlaw. lol haha good luck man

TJ Bradley
03-12-2009, 08:01 AM
o yea, The 350, 400 450 thing, Id say definitly 450, especially if your other quad is an outlaw 525. a 400 ex will just feel like a turd. Id definitly lean towards 450. Just a all around better bike i feel.

rollie
03-12-2009, 05:39 PM
If you buy a used one make sure the guy paid it off and gives you the title:eek: in this type of economy i ran into a almost brand new 07 for 3500, but he wasnt finished paying it off, when he gets the $3500 hes not going to keep paying for a quad he doesnt have, and the bank will come take it from you!!!!

just a heads up, id hate that to happen to anyone

but i have an 07 450R and i have nothing negative to say about it, get one!

bpjr07
03-12-2009, 06:20 PM
thanks for the heads up that's why I'm looking for a dealer used quad I'm fairly new to atvs and don't want to get a lemon. And to develop my credit. I found a Suzuki 07 brand new for 3500!

So I'm going to see it it's a ltz 400. I'll go tomorow to look at it. I'll also look at the honda 450