PDA

View Full Version : Air filter question

IcutMetl
03-10-2009, 01:50 PM
My '88-R has a .020 overbore motor, Boyessen Rad Valve, 38mm Keihin PJ, and a P.T. Hi-Rev pipe. It is currently w/o an airbox, and using an exposed clamp-on style with outerwears. Jetting must be good- it runs pretty crisp.

Question is; should I convert back to the stock airbox setup or run an aluminum box w/o the lid and a good filter w/ outerwears? I ride all-around / XC, and don't want a bunch of gunk, mud, or water entering my motor. I can't ever imagine having the thing buried in water but want to be safe. I don't mind givng up a little hp for reliability, but I don't want to choke it off either.

Thanks!

05LSR250R
03-10-2009, 03:08 PM
I personally would get an air box for sure!
I've never seen anyone run XC without one.
Either box will work, but the stock box will have a lid if you want to run with the lid.
You can get an outerware cover for the aluminum box.

matt250r21
03-10-2009, 03:50 PM
If you are looking for a nice TRX250R airbox, I have one for sale. Its off an 89. $50 shipped.

rigger
03-10-2009, 06:07 PM
I am putting an air box back on mt project R. I was unsure at first to run one or not, but I am a woods rider and this R may not ever even get to ride a track. With all the places that I have ridden in the past, I felt better about the idea of going back with an air box.

I just picked one up off of ebay with a lid. I think I am going to fit an outerware over the lid so it can be open but also better protected too.

At least that is my current plan.

Now if I just had the money to complete my R, that would be cool.