PDA

View Full Version : Clutch install on 250 x

JCWevs
12-26-2002, 08:11 PM
Alright here goes, after all the motor mods I did to my 250x, my clutch finally bit the big one! Which I expected, a stock clutch w/ a highly modded motor is asking for trouble for me anyway. I bought a Barnett Heavy duty clutch kit and I am installing it myself. According to my Clymer manual (which i am not to fond of) I need a die grinder and a few other complex tools to change my plates, is this true? I have changed plates on my YZ 125's and never needed anything that i couldn't find in a simple tool box. Is this install gonna be any different?

joeroadking
12-26-2002, 08:27 PM
no odinary tools are fine!it is very similer to the yz , I usually file down the groves in the clutch basket as well as the the clutch hub before reasseble , you will know what I am talking about when you disasseble it I use a flat file , and on the inner hub a (small hand file), make sure when you loosen off the clutch springs you do them evenly a little on each at a time, if you did your yz they are more or less all the same . if you bought the whole barnett kit you my want to pick up a easy clutch lever the springs are considerablly harder to pull

300exazzkikr
12-26-2002, 08:30 PM
grinding..ummm..no..It's quite simple take the right cover off(as if sitting on quad). When you get in there you'll see the fiber plates and steel plates together. There will be four bolts or so for the springs you gotta take them off and there should be a big nut in the middle. Take all that off replace..bam your done. Take the big nut off first when you do this you need to hold the clutch basket. You may need someone to help you hold it.

joeroadking
12-26-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by 300exazzkikr
grinding..ummm..no..It's quite simple take the right cover off(as if sitting on quad). When you get in there you'll see the fiber plates and steel plates together. There will be four bolts or so for the springs you gotta take them off and there should be a big nut in the middle. Take all that off replace..bam your done. Take the big nut off first when you do this you need to hold the clutch basket. You may need someone to help you hold it. If you do not grind out the groves in the basket the clutch will actually pull apart as you accelarate and the clutch will wear out prematurly, + clutch action will be smoother ! sorry my spelling S%#ks

JCWevs
12-26-2002, 10:58 PM
thanks alot fellas, I was hopin i wouldn't have to go runnin' to a dealership for something that seemed so simple!

Rastus
12-27-2002, 01:48 PM
Make sure you get those grooves filed down, or clutch action isn't going to be great.

It's pretty easy, once you see the inside.