PDA

View Full Version : clicking/scraping sound coming from drr 50 L/C

coffing918
03-09-2009, 07:10 AM
my sons DRR 50 L/C is making a clicking/scraping sound coming from the left side when the quad is running but sitting idle. dont know if it does it when the quad is moving, i asked my son but he says the quad is to loud to hear it when hes riding, any suggestions???????

it dosnt do it continuisly only every about 10-30 seconds

Nichols Atvs
03-09-2009, 08:41 AM
You need to take the clutch cover off and check the belt starter gear clutches and trans gears.for wear or somethiing broke

Logan #34's Dad
03-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Sounds like your tranny gears are broke or breaking. Roll it backwards and forwards (not running) and check for smoothness. If it clicks or jumps - Tranny is broke.

hotquads1
03-09-2009, 03:23 PM
the nerfs can rattle also.

jerkyboy
03-09-2009, 05:27 PM
check the kick start sometimes it doesnt return all the way and will hit that piece on the end of the crankshaft.

coffing918
03-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by jerkyboy
check the kick start sometimes it doesnt return all the way and will hit that piece on the end of the crankshaft.

its not the kickstart the noise comes from the other side, but that is kinda what it sounds like when ur kid keeps his /her foot on the kickstart when its running, the motor was taken out worked on and then put back in it was after it was put back in that its making this noise,

coffing918
03-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by hotquads1
the nerfs can rattle also.

not the nerfs either its not a rattle noise kinda a scraping noise or clicking thankjs for everyones help keep the responses coming,

Logan #34's Dad
03-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Well, depending on how well it was worked on it could be your reeds chatering. I'm still betting on the tranny. Drain the fluid into a mason jar and check for shavings OR just put the quad on its side and pull the tranny gear cover off and inspect it.

bulldogfallon
03-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Left side when sitting on the quad or when you are looking at it from the front?

jread14
03-09-2009, 09:11 PM
So, from what I am reading it is on the right side of the quad when you are on it. I would bet it is you waterpump. They are noisy little suckers and have had me going what the freak is that sound many times.

drxracing
03-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Did you guys mess with the timming at all mine came lose and the fan was scraping the cover

coffing918
03-10-2009, 08:31 AM
ok when ur sitting on the quad it SOUNDS LIKE IT comes from the LEFT,

the motor was worked on by HETRICK but put back in by someone else, and the someone else who put it back in is a small engin repair man/ teacher at a voc. school, so he had some knowledge of what he was doing, the quad itself runs great there is no problem with its proformance at all, but like i said i canot hear if its making that noise when its running the sound is light and even if i took it for a ride i wouldnt hear it. and when it sits idle i hear it like every 10-30 seconds. and my father said it sounds like its coming from the water pump too. im a woman and not to say women dont know what they are doing but in my case my father does most of the maintenence on all our minis 7 to be exact so we dont always have time to figure out whats going on thats why im asking for everyones help and you guys are great with responses thank you im going over to my dads where we keep everything 2nite to try to figure out whats going on. thanks again

riding4fun
03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Did you check the starter gears yet. If I remember right, the really big gear has a insert that keeps these little spring loaded pins in place. We had some loose ones after taking it out. I reloaded the pins and springs and it went away.

Just something to check.