PDA

View Full Version : Concerns with Air Box Cover Off?

MarcM
03-09-2009, 04:28 AM
OK,

My DS 450X is still bone stock.

I want to unleash the power with the pink wire mod. I know I need to add an aftermarket pipe or pull the baffle & remove the airbox lid.

I am concerned about Dust, Sand or Water getting into my air box.

What do you guys do to keep things clean and dry in the air box?

Oh Yeah... How many decibels is the muffler after you pull the baffle? How do I pull the baffle from the muffler?

Thanx...

TNT
03-09-2009, 06:22 AM
Now there’s a subject for heavy debate and varying opinions, air box lids and keeping them on or off. Some of the racers/teams take the air box completely out and expose the filter to dust, etc, claiming an increase in power, others cut holes in the box to get more air, others like me run it since I don’t see the benefit of exposing the filter to the elements even in a short 10 min race….I run the lid off and may cut some holes in the box.

Were talking about vacuum pressure here in the air box, if you can increase it with a turbo charger I can see a gain in power but by taking the lid off/box out, that’s different than velocity. Some company’s offer breathing air box lids, like Protect and Velocity I think that keep the elements out. They have a pre-filter built in that faces the seat. I have yet to verify an increase in power like they claim.

I’d just take the lid off, not that I am totally convinced that is necessary since this motor has plenty of stock air, cut the pink, take the baffle out you undo the screws in the tip pull it off take the baffle/spark arrestor out. Keep an eye on your filter we clean ours after every race, have a second one on hand, clean the box if necessary. Taking the lid off keeps the filter protected still, not as good as on you just have to deal with cleaning more often. Try running your quad with it on and off, if you don’t feel a power gain keep it on.

Blizzard24
03-09-2009, 07:19 AM
I have the lid off, pink wire cut and a full HMF system.

I tried putting the lid back on with the above staying the same and noticed a substantial bog and popping w the lid on, suggesting too much fuel/not enough air, I took the lid back off and the bog and popping cleared up immedietly.

I have run 2 seasons of XC racing with no lid on my airbox with a YFZ and no issues, you have to keep up on the maintenence and it does get dirt and water in there easier but a properly maintained filter stops everything.

mebcop
03-09-2009, 10:13 AM
i clean my filter every ride or two. keep up on that and you wont have any probs.

scuzz
03-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Why not run one of these:

http://www.ehsracing.com/products/ds450_airbox_EHS.htm

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gwwaddle/ds450.jpg

ds450racer
03-09-2009, 12:34 PM
accroding to our dyno results running an air box lid with a bone stock bike creates more power than having it off. If you have had some engine mods done then take it off. But with it on we got a few more horse power out of it.

MarcM
03-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by ds450racer
accroding to our dyno results running an air box lid with a bone stock bike creates more power than having it off. If you have had some engine mods done then take it off. But with it on we got a few more horse power out of it.

When you say mods... would that include pink wire cut and baffle out of muffler a mod?

Did you ever compare Dyno Test with Pink Wire Cut, Baffle Out and Lid Off compared to Pink Wire Cut, Baffle Out and Lid On?

ds450racer
03-10-2009, 11:25 AM
i mean engine mods. I dont know about the pink wire and baffle stuff. have never ran a stock pipe and cut the wire before we even rode it.

MarcM
03-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all the replies and information.