PDA

View Full Version : ohlins shocks

otis
03-08-2009, 04:24 PM
My son races mx on a ktm 450xc. The quad is set up for mx, 50" wide, etc. He blew the seals on one shock the other day. I sent them in to be set up for his weight and with triple rates to Colby. The question I have is it really going to make a difference. My son likes the shocks the way they are. According to ktm they are set up for a 165lb rider. Now I can not get an answer if that is for mx or cross country. I would assume cross country. I'm not a suspension guru. My kid is ragging on me that now they will be all jacked up I just want to know if it will make a feel-able difference, if it will make him ride any faster. I search but couldn't find a direct answer. Thanks ahead of time.

k4f5x0r
03-08-2009, 05:06 PM
theyll feel ALOT better. He is going to valve them for your sons weight, style of riding, etc. it will make it alot less tedious to adjust and it will make him a bunch faster.. until then i say dont etll him what i said. just let him complain.. then take his laptimes and shove it in his face

:p

trailrider894
03-08-2009, 09:05 PM
ktm450xc hence the xc in the name. means that the quad is set-up for xc. where as the ktm450sx is set-up for mx.

mcracer
03-10-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't know anything about the company doing your shocks, but I do race a ktm 525xc and the shocks were set up mor for tt from the factory. I weigh 200 w/ gear and the were way to stiff. He will be happy with new set up if they are done right. He will get faster with better set up.
If you haven't sent them yet maybe check out ktmatvhq.com and get with Rocket Ron everybody is very happy with his set ups. Looks like he has done about 90% of the Ktms out there.

otis
03-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Appreciate all the advice. Colby at C & D has them. He has always done good for me so I'm sticking with him.

mcracer
03-11-2009, 05:53 PM
cool give us a report I'd like to hear how they are. I'm sure c & d does great work from what i've been reading

Extremeracer167
03-15-2009, 07:23 PM
yeah, the whole 165 lb rider......dont know about that. I got a ktm 450xc, i race xc and weigh 165 lbs.....and they are definately NOT setup for my weight. Ive had Elka, Axis, Works, and now ohlins. I consider myself A class seeing as thats what i ride.....and they feel pretty dang stiff. But to answer your question, the difference will blow you away. Dont get me wrong, for coming stock on the KTMs, the ohlins are WAY better than any other stock quad. But they definitely do need some work. Its just alot cheaper to pay 3-500 bucks to get them reworked then buying new aftermarket shocks.