PDA

View Full Version : getting out of the sport.......

trx400EXtreme
03-08-2009, 04:18 PM
here lately ive been thinkin about getting out of the sport.....not for good, just until i can get things fugured out. i'll be a senior next year and its gonna be time to start thinking about a career. i want to attend and tech school to become an automotive and/or motorcylce mechanic. i still have fun riding but it seems like id rather buy parts to make my truck faster instead. eventually i'll probably buy another quad but it just seems like the smart thing to do right now is sell the quad and concentrate on what i want to do for a living. anybody else go throught this?

Warnerade
03-08-2009, 04:22 PM
why cant you do both?

the only way i could see ATVing in general getting in the way of a career is if you were serious about racing and were gone every weekend, and asking for time off during the week as well.

Ruby Soho
03-08-2009, 04:25 PM
sell the quad, use the money for your truck parts

buy a pitbike:D

250x_kyle
03-08-2009, 04:57 PM
i thought about doing the same thing. i built a hybrid. started thinking parted it and the spare 400 chassis i had laying around out. ended up buying a 450r throwing money into it getting accepted to two of the school i wanted to get into and im currently looking for a truck. it all depends on how determined you are. you can do anything you push yourself to do.

03-08-2009, 05:05 PM
any chance on selling those front shocks?

MX MaNiAc 06
03-08-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm doing the same thing. I'm a freshman in college and about to sell my quad. I love it and it kills me to put it on the market, but it's time to slow down and focus on the rest of my life. Breaking a bone and being laid up from work for a month or two is a bit more serious when you're in college or working a full time job.

trx400EXtreme
03-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
why cant you do both?

the only way i could see ATVing in general getting in the way of a career is if you were serious about racing and were gone every weekend, and asking for time off during the week as well. because i have no money. riding has always depended on my income and with me driving and working 5 days a week in the summer i dont have the time or money to spend on it. like i said eventually i'll buy another one but right now selling the quad is whats best for me.

trx400EXtreme
03-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
any chance on selling those front shocks? idk yet. i cant decide if i want to sell them separtate or with the quad. whats your offer?

trx400EXtreme
03-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
sell the quad, use the money for your truck parts

buy a pitbike:D haha i cant count the number of times a pitbike has crossed my mind.

Ruby Soho
03-08-2009, 05:38 PM
its the path i chose. and i couldn't be happier.

although my pitbike is getting most of my money.. thats only for the time being though, theres only so much more i can do haha

rollie
03-08-2009, 05:41 PM
i thought about doing it, but theres nooo way i could, everytime i see a diesel pickup i want to sell my quad, but on a nice 80 degree day in the summer your going to wish you still had it, just keep it, its not costing you any money. and plus keep having fun while you can, before you know it you''ll have a wife and kids and no money to buy another bike

kawabunga
03-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
I'm doing the same thing. I'm a freshman in college and about to sell my quad. I love it and it kills me to put it on the market, but it's time to slow down and focus on the rest of my life. Breaking a bone and being laid up from work for a month or two is a bit more serious when you're in college or working a full time job.

But it's still possible. I'm a senior in college and I have never even contemplated getting out of riding. I go to school full time, work 20 hrs a week and I go home and ride as often as I can. I actually found myself buying more toys, a pitbike and three-wheeler. All depends on how bad you want it like someone else said. You gotta have your priorities though. The danger of getting hurt is always there, but so is getting a car accident and missing work. A risk I'm willing to take I guess. I understand that accidents happen, but that's life too. I'm not willing to give up riding, not now, not anytime soon either.
Either way, good luck with whatever you do.

coryatver
03-08-2009, 05:44 PM
don't waste your money doing stupid stuff to your truck. Just keep it stock and dependable

Honda#4
03-08-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm going to school full time also and have a hard time even tinkering with my quad, i've always considered parting it out but right now it aint worth it and I dont have the time too so i'm keeping it for when I have kids.

greenblood01
03-08-2009, 07:28 PM
I broke my arm in august racing motocross, and started college full time 2 weeks later. I haven't even started my quad since thanksgiving break, or riden on a track since august, but I'm not about to bail out. After spring break I'm going to bring it back to school and ride every chance I get.

manhunter
03-08-2009, 08:41 PM
if it is paid for and you dont need the money hang onto it you will regret it if you sell it for your reasons.

and for the injuries aflac isthe way to go i rearranged my foot last summer was out of work for 6 wks and if i had aflac i would still have a savings account :D its cheap but in this sport as everyone knows anything can happen you put a helmet on for the same reason might as well spend the 40 a month on accident and disability

scuzz
03-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I have yet to get a ticket on my quad and I go as fast as I want.

In my cars and trucks....I can't claim that.

Hot rodding a street vehicle just isn't for me. I would rather ride my quad than hotrod my trucks.

jesseweaver
03-09-2009, 10:40 AM
that always crossed my mind to. you just have to have your priorities straight. when i first got my mustang i wanted to do a lot of stuff to it, and my friends were doing lots to their cars. now that i started riding again i haven't spent much on my car at all. and thats really hard. i did get a bike to cut down on costs a little bit and that def helps. i dont have to modify it at all at the skill level i am at right now, where as a quad i'd need lots of $$$ in suspension, tires, rims, etc...

another thing, i can see how it is hard with money, but if you want it bad enough, its not to hard. i work 6days a week over school year and almost get a full 40 hr week in while in school full time. over summer i work 5 or 6 days a week and anywhere from 60-75 hours a week. like i said if you want it bad enough, its not impossible to be able to afford to race while still in school