PDA

View Full Version : Carburetor or idle issue?

04TRX400EX
03-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't even know what to search for so here's the question ...

My 400EX was sitting for awhile while I was doing some modifications (like 2 months). When I rode it last week, it was really "sluggish" so I determined the carb was probably clogged from the gas breaking down. I drained the gas tank, took apart and cleaned the carb - float bowl, main & needle jets, linkage area, etc. - and also cleaned the air filter and changed the spark plug since I thought it could be fouled.

I had a very difficult time starting it this morning and getting it to idle, and once it did, every time I gave it some throttle smoke would come out of the exhaust and the engine would "miss" (like the the carb was flooding or the air/fuel mixture was off) to the point where it almost shut off. I'm not sure what I haven't checked and what's wrong with it now!

BTW, the valves were just adjusted too, so I don't think the problem lies there.

Anyone have any ideas?

ginobili07
03-08-2009, 02:37 PM
You could try and play around with the idle screw or screw in the A/F screw all the way then back it out 2 full turns and go from there.

04TRX400EX
03-08-2009, 06:58 PM
I took the carb apart yet again and rechecked everything - main jet, pilot jet, air/fuel screw, idle, everything.

The quad seems to start and idle fine but as soon as you give it gas, it sounds like it plugs up or something and floods, almost dies, then levels back out. There is a serious miss and I have no idea what is causing it.

Off to the dealership tomorrow to get raped by the techs who charge to much labor to fix what is probably a simple issue.

turboed
05-31-2009, 08:07 PM
let me know whatever happened,my bike is doin the same thing