PDA

View Full Version : Broken Case Saver Bolt

QuadTrix6
12-26-2002, 06:08 PM
When I was changing my sprocket today the top bolt on the case saver broke inside the hole (23). The thing is, it is holding on the first half of the case saver(2). I was thinking of trying an easy out or a reverse drill bit to try and get it out. Think that will work? Also i was thinking that if i break the first half of the case saver(2) off there will be some threads showing for me to unscrew it. The thing is my brother that put these bolts in used red loctite and thats y they broke when he tried to unscrew them so it might be hard to unscrew and it might not even work. Also what if i break part #2 and then its still inside the hole? then i have nothing and im screwed. What do u think would be the best way of doing this ? Please help! Thanks:(

joeroadking
12-26-2002, 06:20 PM
if you can remove the case saver and get hold of the bolt ,with some vise grips or whatever heat it up with a propane torch while you turn it out the heat breaks the red loctite like butter, own many harleys we bolt the whole dam bikes together with loctite,ha if you are near the shifter seal put a wet rag on that area to prevent cooking the gasket if you know what I mean.

QuadTrix6
12-27-2002, 03:54 AM
BUMP ???

oynot400
12-27-2002, 09:43 AM
I think that when you try to drill out the bolt it may heat up the loctite to get it out. If not try a little propane torch. It will take longer to heat it up with one of those but it will not hurt the case like a blow torch.
Was the bolt coming loose is why he used loctite? People think that all loctite is the same and it is not. The red loctite is a stronger bond for larger bolts. For smaller bolts and nuts use the blue 242 loctite. ;)

joeroadking
12-27-2002, 09:46 AM
yeh I aways use blue loctite, I ment to use a propane torch above^:rolleyes:

QuadTrix6
12-27-2002, 01:29 PM
thanks for all the help guys i really apreciate it, im going to ride this weekend so im gonna have to do with only half of the case saver, i figure half is better than none....then i will try out all of your suggestions, ill let you know how it goes thanks again