PDA

View Full Version : honda civic engine help...

fasterblaster09
03-08-2009, 08:43 AM
well car was stolen, recovred with blown head gasket so I decided to just change the motor beings how they're so cheap. Right now my car has the d16y7 (non vtec) and when I look it up on ebay, a d15 comes up saying hows its to replace the d16y7?? I would like to have vtec, but not necessary, Im not being specific on the engine I want, just want something thats a not b*thc to change. thanks ,neil

btw-its a 1996 dx

WhiteZrider
03-08-2009, 11:00 AM
b18c5 :p

fasterblaster09
03-08-2009, 01:18 PM
yeh I wish lol

mudrunner35
03-08-2009, 01:21 PM
the d15 is an older engine, from the EF's. so it has a mechanical shift cable instead of hydraulic and it's smaller. it is a direct swap but you'll need to do some tinkering to convert it back to the cable shift. if i were you, try and find another d16y7 and try and find a d16y8 head, the y8 is vtec and it gives you a few more ponies. it's also a direct swap so you don't need to modify anything

mxtuner
03-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Its not even worth buying a d16y8 for the extra few horse. D series are JUNK. Not worth buying one and having to get a new wiring harness or even run wires for vtec, also you need to get a vtec dizzy and a ecu out of a y8 if you do that swap.

mudrunner35
03-08-2009, 01:53 PM
D series aren't junk, they just don't have the power potential that the B, K, H, or F series do. but they are an inexpensive option that is easily found and you can make decent numbers while still being on pump gas

03-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Get a D16Y8, EX headers, catalitic, and all of the exhaust. D16Y8 from the EX is VTEC and basically everything better. B16 and B18 fit right in there too. Find a SI that was wrecked and take the motor or buy one. D series can be built but if you want a good boost motor get a B series. K20 even all motor rapes. K series also cost around the $5000 range to swap. B series around $3000.

fasterblaster09
03-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Well I'm actually tryin to stay under a grand because I have to get a loan to pay to fix t. I can get the d15 shipped to my house for under 700 and my buddy will swap it out for 200. So I didn't know if I will have to buy more parts tomake the d15 work?

mudrunner35
03-08-2009, 03:41 PM
yeah you're going to need to do some modding, i had a d15 in my civic before i swapped it out for an h22 lol. but ya, it might be a challenge finding a clutch cable that works, you're also going to need to get rid of the master cylinder for your clutch

fasterblaster09
03-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Ok well I guess I'll just look harder to find a d16y7.. Anyone know of amy cheap sites for engines?

mudrunner35
03-08-2009, 03:51 PM
i don't know any, but just keep your eyes and ears open for anything local. look at auto wreckers too, sometimes you can find a jem for dirt cheap. or used parts cars!

03-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Your probaly not going to like going from the 16 to a 15. I would just replace the head gasket and get a Y8 head

fasterblaster09
03-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Well I plan on sellin it as soon as the engine is put in. So I'm lookin for the cheapest fix, and it would be a lot more appealing to someone if it has a motor with like 40k on it, so I have a better chance in gettin what I will ask for it

mxtuner
03-09-2009, 03:19 AM
what the hell are you talking about finding a clutch for a d15. Use the clutch and flywheel from the d16 in your car now on the d15. All d series parts are mostly interchangable.

mudrunner35
03-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by mxtuner
what the hell are you talking about finding a clutch for a d15. Use the clutch and flywheel from the d16 in your car now on the d15. All d series parts are mostly interchangable.

can you read? CLUTCH CABLE is what has been said. it is what it is when you don't pay attention i guess.

03-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
well car was stolen, recovred with blown head gasket so I decided to just change the motor beings how they're so cheap. Right now my car has the d16y7 (non vtec) and when I look it up on ebay, a d15 comes up saying hows its to replace the d16y7?? I would like to have vtec, but not necessary, Im not being specific on the engine I want, just want something thats a not b*thc to change. thanks ,neil

btw-its a 1996 dx

very important wtch hole video it will tell you everything you need to know!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dLrRvW4KAxg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dLrRvW4KAxg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

03-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by mudrunner35
can you read? CLUTCH CABLE is what has been said. it is what it is when you don't pay attention i guess.

i hate you

mudrunner35
03-09-2009, 08:25 PM
lol i love that video. and i love you too, but this isn't about us. it's about the big picture. the man was asking a simple question about his car and i as well as a few others helped them as best we could. but you sir, have hijacked a thread with your inane ***-hattery

scottsworld
03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
any d-series motor will bolt up with any d-series trans even if it is a hydro or cable just the tranny mounts are different, and you can get mount kits. if you want to go vtec you will need a jumper harness to make it obd1 to run a p28 computer that will ingage vtec you will also have to run the wire to the vtec selinoid and if your car is dual point i would wire it to multi point injection. ont listen to that other retard that says dseries are junk they are very good motors and can actually handle nitrouse and bost pretty good but yea b-seies is deffintly a better choice here is a pic of my swap i did myself

mxtuner
03-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Mudrunner your an idiot. Why the hell would he need a clutch cable when any d series bolts to any d series tranny. Same with b series etc. Ive had my fair share of hondas and did many swaps, so go do some research before you run your mouth.
And as for the other retard saying im a idiot for saying d series are junk lol. Yea there good a stock d16 on 10lbs is as fast as a STOCK GSR. Yea there real good LMAO. So all that money put into a junk d series could be into something better. Single cams are a joke, if there so good then why is everyone swapping to b series or even k or h series? Do dome research and learn something before you run your mouth also, and big deal you swapped a b series. Its a 2 hour job. Guess i could post up the hundreds of hondas ive swapped also and be cool.

extremeblastr
03-09-2009, 11:04 PM
way to be a d***

03-10-2009, 02:06 PM
lol i love that video. and i love you too, but this isn't about us. it's about the big picture. the man was asking a simple question about his car and i as well as a few others helped them as best we could. but you sir, have hijacked a thread with your inane ***-hattery

seeing that your sig has been changed we can now be friends

03-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by scottsworld
any d-series motor will bolt up with any d-series trans even if it is a hydro or cable just the tranny mounts are different, and you can get mount kits. if you want to go vtec you will need a jumper harness to make it obd1 to run a p28 computer that will ingage vtec you will also have to run the wire to the vtec selinoid and if your car is dual point i would wire it to multi point injection. ont listen to that other retard that says dseries are junk they are very good motors and can actually handle nitrouse and bost pretty good but yea b-seies is deffintly a better choice here is a pic of my swap i did myself

dang thats so shiny and clean looking. how about some pictures of the rest of the car? You CAN build a fast D series but a B series is a much better platform to start on. If you can afford it, K20

scottsworld
03-10-2009, 04:16 PM
exactly, a d seies is not a junk motor if you dont have a ton of money and yes they dont make the horsepower of a bseries but that doesnt mean they are junk.i have done many swaps and i know what i am doing her is the rest of my car waiting to get it painted like the engine bay

scottsworld
03-10-2009, 04:17 PM
this is the swap i did in my friends crx

scottsworld
03-10-2009, 04:18 PM
and this is are cars in are shop

mudrunner35
03-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by mxtuner
Mudrunner your an idiot. Why the hell would he need a clutch cable when any d series bolts to any d series tranny. Same with b series etc. Ive had my fair share of hondas and did many swaps, so go do some research before you run your mouth.
And as for the other retard saying im a idiot for saying d series are junk lol. Yea there good a stock d16 on 10lbs is as fast as a STOCK GSR. Yea there real good LMAO. So all that money put into a junk d series could be into something better. Single cams are a joke, if there so good then why is everyone swapping to b series or even k or h series? Do dome research and learn something before you run your mouth also, and big deal you swapped a b series. Its a 2 hour job. Guess i could post up the hundreds of hondas ive swapped also and be cool.

i KNOW they do, but you can't expect a transmission with a mechanical clutch cable to be able to work if you need hydraulic right? you need a new clutch cable. mechanical means there is a metal wire inside the casing, where as hydraulic means there is fluid. when you depress the clutch on a mechanical the wire is what pulls the lever that acts on the thrust bearing to pull the pressure plate away from the clutch. a hydraulic forces fluid to act on the lever. maybe you should read first penis piper.

so from what you're telling me, when you press the clutch in some fairy magic happens that disengages the clutch? maybe YOU'RE the idiot...

notice the cirlce? that is a mechanical clutch cable, you can tell because of the cable adjusters. a hydraulic wouldnt have the adjusters

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/mudrunner35/10770-1988-Honda-Civic-CRX.jpg

03-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by scottsworld
exactly, a d seies is not a junk motor if you dont have a ton of money and yes they dont make the horsepower of a bseries but that doesnt mean they are junk.i have done many swaps and i know what i am doing her is the rest of my car waiting to get it painted like the engine bay

you are a ricer son u are hated by many

mudrunner35
03-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by mxcowboy

a ricer is a car with stupid body kits, a loud exhaust, and all show and no go (fast and the furious). he has none of the above. ever heard of power to weight ratio? his car is light and it has adequate power, so around a track it would be very competitive. just because something isn't domestic doesn't mean it's a ricer man. and by the sounds of it, european and japanese companies are and will continue to make a strong standing in the u.s. market due to poor management and production quality of the current domestic vehicles.

03-10-2009, 07:16 PM
a ricer is a car with stupid body kits, a loud exhaust, and all show and no go (fast and the furious). he has none of the above. ever heard of power to weight ratio? his car is light and it has adequate power, so around a track it would be very competitive. just because something isn't domestic doesn't mean it's a ricer man. and by the sounds of it, european and japanese companies are and will continue to make a strong standing in the u.s. market due to poor management and production quality of the current domestic vehicles.

does the white car no have a gay body kit? i guareentue it has a fart can on it

mudrunner35
03-10-2009, 07:18 PM
you know this for a fact? hm. i like psychics too, that doesn't mean you are one

03-10-2009, 07:25 PM
does the white car no have a gay body kit? i guareentue it has a fart can on it

please leave and dont come back. your a ricer for powershifting your quad and screwing up the tranny lawl @ you, you also made it look fast but get real its slow. word on the power to weight ratio. HP and torque is a terrible measure for quickness to compare.

03-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
please leave and dont come back. your a ricer for powershifting your quad and screwing up the tranny lawl @ you, you also made it look fast but get real its slow. word on the power to weight ratio. HP and torque is a terrible measure for quickness to compare.

powershifting my bike?last time i checked you cant power shift an automatic and screwed up my tranny excuse me? comming from a person who claims to enjoy under steering? wow my tahoe will out run ur rice burner

mudrunner35
03-10-2009, 07:38 PM
yeah, it probably would. but who cares? lol. your tahoe would still be filling up while we're another 20 miles down the road. so do you enjoy spending your life savings on gas?

03-10-2009, 07:43 PM
yeah, it probably would. but who cares? lol. your tahoe would still be filling up while we're another 20 miles down the road. so do you enjoy spending your life savings on gas?

haha gas mileage? who cares i make enough that it dosent matter

mudrunner35
03-10-2009, 07:46 PM
thats good man, at least some people are doing alright these days!

but at the end of the day you're still stuck with a tahoe.. and thats a jacked up minivan, and we all know minivans are manhood killers. why don't you get a truck you can actually brag about??:confused:

03-10-2009, 08:00 PM

but at the end of the day you're still stuck with a tahoe.. and thats a jacked up minivan, and we all know minivans are manhood killers. why don't you get a truck you can actually brag about??:confused:

hehe i was hoping youd ask 2004 f-250 on 31inch allterrains just got the irraid system on it

mudrunner35
03-10-2009, 08:05 PM
hehe i was hoping youd ask 2004 f-250 on 31inch allterrains just got the irraid system on it

nice, lol i love the f250/350's/ kind of hypocritical but i was raised with trucks so how could i say no to a nice one. if it's a diesel then you can be my friend. if it's not then we need to talk

03-10-2009, 08:20 PM
powershifting my bike?last time i checked you cant power shift an automatic and screwed up my tranny excuse me? comming from a person who claims to enjoy under steering? wow my tahoe will out run ur rice burner

who said i like understeering? no i dont. prove to me where i said it, if you can find it i'll pay you. your tahoe will not beat my car. maybe in a straight line if you have a v8 but if there are any turns which is what happens on the street your done for unless your have a couple grand into your tahoes suspension/handling. i'm not a ricer, i dont drive a rice burner, last i checked it used unleaded gasoline. unless you have a new tahoe your 0-60 is slower than my car and your top speed is deffinately not going to be as fast.

scottsworld
03-11-2009, 05:16 AM
wow i would like to know who i am hated by besides you. the white car is a friends that was built as a show car 10 years ago when body kits were cool i guess but it has been sitting in the garage and we just recently started working on it and doin a swap and stuff and no there is no fart can it has a thermal cat back

fasterblaster09
03-11-2009, 06:43 AM
I was 99% sure some douche would come on here and bring up "ricer". I can't even ask a simple question without someone saying a stupid ***** comment.. :rolleyes:

scottsworld
03-11-2009, 12:15 PM
yea well you know there is always haters out there if you weren't so far away i could have helped you out but if you have any othe questions just pm so you dont get ignorant people making comments

mudrunner35
03-11-2009, 01:51 PM
water on the duck's back man.. the reason people do it is because they know it pisses you off.

03-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
who said i like understeering? no i dont. prove to me where i said it, if you can find it i'll pay you. your tahoe will not beat my car. maybe in a straight line if you have a v8 but if there are any turns which is what happens on the street your done for unless your have a couple grand into your tahoes suspension/handling. i'm not a ricer, i dont drive a rice burner, last i checked it used unleaded gasoline. unless you have a new tahoe your 0-60 is slower than my car and your top speed is deffinately not going to be as fast.

buddy you need to do some research the new tahoes are faster than the oldones and mine can run on ethanol and yours cant

WhiteZrider
03-11-2009, 05:00 PM

Yo don't talk smack on tahoe's! I have a pretty badass blazer :mad: :p

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/vanscan/Picture005.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/vanscan/Picture001.jpg

WhiteZrider
03-11-2009, 05:03 PM
buddy you need to do some research the new tahoes are faster than the oldones and mine can run on ethanol and yours cant

And im pretty sure the older 350s are faster than the vortec 350s..but thats off the line.

03-11-2009, 05:20 PM

thats why I said unless you have the new one your not going to win even a drag from 0-60. If you have a brand new one you would stand a chance until I go flying by since the topspeed is much higher on my car

fasterblaster09
03-12-2009, 06:52 AM
......... thanks for those that helped.

neil

LTR450_#67
03-12-2009, 10:23 AM
While we are on the subject of Honda's.....How hard is it to replace a driver-side drive shaft out of a '95 Civic Ex Auto w/ABS?

Any special tools?

Thanks
Aaron

scottsworld
03-12-2009, 12:45 PM
it is really easy to do it is like 3 bolts to get the suspension out of the way and pop the axle out

LTR450_#67
03-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Will I need to realign the steering?

toby400ex
03-12-2009, 01:02 PM
This thread is teh GHEY!:(

ALAMX37
03-12-2009, 01:46 PM
IF you are gonna swap motors do it right. B16 and your good to go. If you can't swing it dont change the motor. The B series is easier to work on, and easier to get big power from. I have 3 B16's in my shop right now, but we are building them for a customer.

mudrunner35
03-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by LTR450_#67
Will I need to realign the steering?
well if you have an impact then it makes the job easier but it can all be done with hand tools, and you shouldn't have to get an alignment done but if it drives funny after then yeah you do. i didn't have to realign my civic when i had the entire front end apart, then again i didn't touch the tie rods. i think the camber adjustment is on the top of the strut but im not sure, so yeah you should be good man!

fasterblaster09
03-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by ALAMX37
IF you are gonna swap motors do it right. B16 and your good to go. If you can't swing it dont change the motor. The B series is easier to work on, and easier to get big power from. I have 3 B16's in my shop right now, but we are building them for a customer.

1- I have to change the motor
2- Im selling as soon as the motor is put in, so why spend more??

deathcorefan2
03-12-2009, 07:30 PM
VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO!!!!!!!

sorry....had to.

250R-Dee
03-12-2009, 07:58 PM
This thread is not about ricers, trucks, or general stupid remarks.

Either contribute to the OP's topic or keep your crappy comments to yourself.

Too bad you aren't in Japan because I'd give you a B16, B18C or B20 because I will need to get some junk outta my shop so I can find my quad . :chinese:

LTR450_#67 -
If you are not using a lift, make SURE you use a good set of jack stands.
Loosen the 32mm retaining nut with an impact.
If you do not have an impact, loosen the nut with a breaker bar and cheater while the car is ON THE GROUND and somebody is pressing the brake pedal and then put it on the jack stands!
Remove the fork from the shock.
Use a balljoint separator to separate the balljoint from the lower arm. If you do not have a separator you can "tap" the lower arm with a mini-sledge hammer until the balljoint separates itself.
Remove the 32mm nut and then remove the shaft!!

scottsworld
03-12-2009, 08:10 PM
yea how much to ship me a b18c over any cance you can find out if the motors are cheaper and more available over there let me know thanks

03-12-2009, 08:16 PM
PasswordJDM sells motors for swaps and what not. You might be better off finding a GSR in a junkyard thats wrecked but the motor is still there and good. Thats awesome your in Japan I hope I can see that country sometime in my life.

250R-Dee
03-12-2009, 09:04 PM
If I tell you how much the engines cost in local boneyards over here you'll probably have a stroke.... hahahaha:devil:

03-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by 250R-Dee
If I tell you how much the engines cost in local boneyards over here you'll probably have a stroke.... hahahaha:devil:

go ahead and tell us i'm ready for it lol

mudrunner35
03-12-2009, 09:20 PM
me too! cuz then i'd get your info and buy a couple off you lol i need a new engine for my EF :)

250R-Dee
03-12-2009, 09:31 PM
$200 for a complete engine and tranny.

International shipping to the US is RIDICULOUS if you are not shipping a container filled with parts. I have helped people get transmissions and bare blocks in the past but I have a size and weight restriction since I use the military postal system.

Shipping for a Y21 hydro tranny that has to be taken apart and shipped in two boxes is $170 while a bare B18C block is $65 via USPS priority mail. Shipping time is a 3 to 10 days. I recently shipped a B18C to Golden Eagle for warranty repair and shipping was about 4 days one-way.

My weight limit is 70lbs so I think a crankshaft and head will be difficult to ship.

mudrunner35
03-12-2009, 09:36 PM
maybe you shouldnt have tole me... now im a sad panda :(

03-12-2009, 09:50 PM
If there is any way that you can ship me a B18 i'm all for it. Thats crazy how inexpensive they are there but thats where they were made so not so surprising.

scottsworld
03-13-2009, 05:21 AM
wow that is crazy my ys1 has a slight grind from third to forth if anyone has one, i got lucky i bouht a wrecked civic ek with my gsr swap for $1,200 and parted the rest of the car out and mad most of my money back but damn it you coul ship me a motor swap that would be sweet