PDA

View Full Version : CBR600RR ?'s

buck440
03-08-2009, 12:55 AM
im thinking of buying one of them and i never had such a thing before and i got a few questions. first is, is this a good size bike to start out with? whats the best year of it?whats a fair price for a used one in fair cond?and do they make kits to tuck the plate and signals in? sorry if the ?'s sound noobish but i had to find out some how.

hardkoratvmxr
03-08-2009, 01:05 AM
600s are a great bike to start on but just like anything else and especially since you havent ridden a street bike before dont ride over your head just because someone else or one of your friends can. On a side note yes there are kits to make the turn signals and plate tucked in. And it is called integrated just for your knowledge. Best year I couldnt really tell you because I have not owned one. A fair price depending on condition is around 3-5k. A good thing to look for when looking at a used bike is clutch adjustment, cable or clutch could be worn and you could tell this just by seeing if the adjusters are maxed. Another thing to look for is if it has sliders is to see if they show road rash or if any of the other paneling has marks on it as if it has been put down.

JJs450r
03-08-2009, 01:38 AM
600 are good bike to start out on i like riddin my brothers when he lets me, id go with 06 and up

jcv400ex
03-08-2009, 07:05 AM
A 600cc supersport bike is NOT a good bike to start on....If you're under 200lbs, look at a Ninja 250/500, Katana 600, SV650, Suzuki Bandit, etc to start out with. Something alittle more mild. People get too carried away after owning a supersport bike for a week and think they're superman. Things happen very quick on the street and a supersport doesn't give you much help. A milder bike will give you some forgiveness. Take a motorcycle saftey course also.

I'm 280, and a Ninja 250 is still a blast to ride and can carry me to 106mph.

631kfx400
03-08-2009, 07:39 AM
my bro used to have a sick one but he crashed into a deer. he was wearing all leather wich saved his life. now he has a ninja 636. i think the ninja is a sicker bike. kawi all the way. but cbr's are good too

Tommy 17
03-08-2009, 10:05 AM
I have a 2006 cbr600rr orange tribal edition and I LOVE IT!!! I'm actually selling it right now for a new one but this bike has been great.

As for years...

03 04 are generation one. The engines are weak on low end power and hard to ride on the street. They have old style forks and ugly body work. Stay away. worth 3,000 to 5,500

05 06 generation 2. They are great bikes. Updated forks and body work, New frame, basically a totaly new bike. I love mine its one of the best handling smoothest street bikes I've ridden. Plus it turns heads. worth 5,000 to 7,000

07 - 09 are all the same with minor body changes and color changes. They win the 600cc shoot outs all the time and are probably the best bike.6,000 to 10999.

Just so you know an integrated under tail is not easy to do. Infact its flat out a pain in the arse. You have to wire in resistors and a bunch of other stuff because the little LED lights pull less power then the original bulbs. This causes the new signals to blink so fast they stay on full time. All bikes are like this.

As for starting out on a 600rr... I did and I'm still alive. Fastest I've seen is 163 thou:ermm:

buck440
03-08-2009, 11:28 AM
cool, thanks and in no way will i ever not give the bike the respect it deserves cause they go a bit faster than a quad :) and if i wear the leathers and helmet i think it should be an alright bike to start with, does anybody know of any good forums i can look into to get a little more knowledge about the bike?

buck440
03-08-2009, 12:08 PM
and anothe question, what are the gears when shifting, like my 400ex is down all the way for first, up a tad neutral,up 2, up 3, up 4, up 5. what is it on a bike?

theTman
03-08-2009, 12:53 PM
shifting is the same..

i have a 2006 gixxer 600, love it, my buddy had a 07 cbr600rr and i rode it a few times and LOVED it, so light, easy to throw around

my buddy has a first year cbr600rr, HEAVY as all hell, its a dinosaur, i didnt like riding it one bit

buck440
03-08-2009, 01:19 PM
how much do lowering kits lower the bike, i dont want to be on my tippy toes :(

Moto49X
03-08-2009, 02:44 PM
The 600rr is a good bike to start on... as long as your smart. Just dont waist your time with a little ninja or katana. The 600 might scare you at first but you will be wanting a 1000 in no time, once you get used to the bike.

fasterblaster09
03-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I don't think u will have a problem, the first time I even sat on a bike was my zx9r, and after a few days I was pretty comfrtable on it. Goodluck and ride safe

gsxrkneedragger
03-08-2009, 03:41 PM
you only go as fast as you twist the throttle. sounds dumb but makes sense. know your limits and don't push yourself too far past them. thats when things go bad. i've rode with people, even after i tell them not to keep up with me, they try anyway. after a few turns, i have to go back and its usually not good. i knew my limits and would push them to an extent but not stupidly past them.

trick250r
03-08-2009, 08:36 PM
i have the 08 cbr 600 and i love the thing... i used to work at a dealer building bikes (our store only carried kawi and suzuki) so i got to ride most of them after i built them. IMO the cbr is just better quality and more comfortable for me. handles like a dream and more than enough power and speed to do anything you want.

buck440
03-09-2009, 11:32 AM
i'll probably get a 05 or 06 and tuck the signals and plate in, exhaust and that would be the basics to clean the look up a little.

Regular_Joe
03-09-2009, 12:37 PM
I have been riding since I was a kid on my parent’s farm. I was riding at 13 in the fields before I was allowed on the roads. I have ridden tons of bikes, cruisers, standards, sport bikes, etc. I have experience on them all at one point or another.

As far as sport bikes I really don’t recommend them. In all honesty I always wanted one and had to get it. It was awesome for about the first year. After that I sold it and the wow factor was gone. For all around drivability you are asking for trouble. They are designed to be run at high speeds, think around 100mph or more. Comfort and drivability is not a concern at all. Redline in first gear is about 70 mph for a 600cc and 100 mph for the 1000cc bikes. Every gear after that adds another 20 or 15 mph. Perfect for a track, but in town it is torture. Anything less than 25mph and you are going to be bogging or clutching. I hate the fixed headlights. They always point straight even when your wheel is turned and you are making a turn.

I ended up with an SV650 instead. It may not be the coolest bike, but it has awesome power delivery. This makes driving in town much nicer. On the 600cc bikes under 5k and your bogging, power is ok between 5k and 8k, and above 8k you have a screaming monster. For the SV you just get the same power from 2.5k to 10k, so most any rpm is great. In all honesty comparing the SV versus a 600cc you are not going to notice the difference until you are at 80mph or more. In the street environment it will be all one ever really needs.

The appeal of the little Ninja 250 is the size. I had one and they are fun. It all goes with the concept of it’s a lot of fun to drive a slow bike fast, than to drive a fast bike slow. When you think about it you can’t even wring out a 600cc bike in first gear without breaking the speed limit. At least with the SV you can get into 2nd before breaking the speed limit (1st gets you to about 45mph). But this is also why I ditched an YZ450F dirt bike for a TTR-125LE. It is just way more fun in the woods to bomb around on trails with the small bike.

buck440
03-09-2009, 06:33 PM
cant you gear it up or down to fix that problem? and im sorry but you can even tell me they take 30 years of my life and i'll still get one because they are just so cool, lol. but i know what you mean kinda cause i took my friends dirtbike in the woods today and man first felt like third and i kep killing it when slow riding.

JForestZ34
03-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by gsxrkneedragger
you only go as fast as you twist the throttle. sounds dumb but makes sense. know your limits and don't push yourself too far past them.

This is true.. But there are guys that still have accidents because they couldn't stop twisting the throttle.. You can see them all on youtube...

James

Big D KC
03-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Regular_Joe
I have been riding since I was a kid on my parent’s farm. I was riding at 13 in the fields before I was allowed on the roads. I have ridden tons of bikes, cruisers, standards, sport bikes, etc. I have experience on them all at one point or another.

As far as sport bikes I really don’t recommend them. In all honesty I always wanted one and had to get it. It was awesome for about the first year. After that I sold it and the wow factor was gone. For all around drivability you are asking for trouble. They are designed to be run at high speeds, think around 100mph or more. Comfort and drivability is not a concern at all. Redline in first gear is about 70 mph for a 600cc and 100 mph for the 1000cc bikes. Every gear after that adds another 20 or 15 mph. Perfect for a track, but in town it is torture. Anything less than 25mph and you are going to be bogging or clutching. I hate the fixed headlights. They always point straight even when your wheel is turned and you are making a turn.

I ended up with an SV650 instead. It may not be the coolest bike, but it has awesome power delivery. This makes driving in town much nicer. On the 600cc bikes under 5k and your bogging, power is ok between 5k and 8k, and above 8k you have a screaming monster. For the SV you just get the same power from 2.5k to 10k, so most any rpm is great. In all honesty comparing the SV versus a 600cc you are not going to notice the difference until you are at 80mph or more. In the street environment it will be all one ever really needs.

The appeal of the little Ninja 250 is the size. I had one and they are fun. It all goes with the concept of it’s a lot of fun to drive a slow bike fast, than to drive a fast bike slow. When you think about it you can’t even wring out a 600cc bike in first gear without breaking the speed limit. At least with the SV you can get into 2nd before breaking the speed limit (1st gets you to about 45mph). But this is also why I ditched an YZ450F dirt bike for a TTR-125LE. It is just way more fun in the woods to bomb around on trails with the small bike.

This is good advice! Very good advice! I absolutely LOVE my 675! But for all intents and purposes its a race bike with turn signals! It's not very comfortable to ride on the street, as he says they want to RUN! That's what they are made to do. After doing track days and riding schools I dont even really enjoy riding on the streets anymore! (hence buying the 400ex!)

I commute with it 'cus I love to ride, and I love the bike, and its good on gas. But it breaks my heart almost to have to put around on it in the city. I get out on the highway and I have to repeat to myself to slow down over and over again. Again don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE my bike!

My advice is if your intent on getting one simply because of how "cool" it is, don't get one at all! Your already at a major disadvantage, and my insurance doesn't need to take another hit..

Make a smarter choice, buy a beginner bike, take a couple riding/safety courses. Ride it a couple of seasons and see where you want to go with it. It doesn't matter how many people tell you their first bike was a hyabusa and they did just fine. They aren't YOU! THEY may have gotten lucky, or THEY may not be telling you about how many times they thought they were going to die. Or about the time they dropped their pretty new bike in a parking lot and scratched up their body work!

(this is not inteneded at anyone in perticular in this thread who may have said that their first bike was an xxxx, I'm just making a point)

A cheap beginner bike can be had for next to nothing and most the time sold within a couple seasons for damn near what you paid for it to another newbie. Let it take the beginner abuse, and teach you how to handle yourself on the street. Sell it in a couple summers, make your money back to help with a down payment on a bike that you will be READY for! Much better option then becoming a statistic..

250R-Dee
03-12-2009, 10:28 PM
No matter what you get, it is in your best interest to enroll into a rider safety course. It will save your bike and maybe even your life if get into a weird situation.

If you were over here I would recommend the CBR400 or one of the 250~400cc Motard bikes as a first street bike.

buck440
03-12-2009, 10:39 PM
even if i seen a busa for real cheap i know better than that, i will stick within my limits in my opinion the cbr600rr and i ride dirtbikes so i would think i have the upper hand over the average joe. and yah i think they are cool among many other things, and i don't come by much money that often so it's either that or......well it's just that. i don't want to sound cocky but if i take it easy and take the course like 250R-Dee said i should be good.

Mxjunkie
03-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Hey buck do me a favor and check your PM box for me.. Thank you! :D

Mattman88
03-12-2009, 10:49 PM
what does everyone think about cbr600 f4s the year is 99 to be exact. Im going to check one out tomorrow.

TheIceMan
03-13-2009, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by Mattman88
what does everyone think about cbr600 f4s the year is 99 to be exact. Im going to check one out tomorrow.

I like the F4's,pretty comfy around town, enough power to get you in trouble.

Ruby Soho
03-13-2009, 06:25 AM
ive been wanting a bike now too haha. no crotch rockets for me though. id love to find an old harley. that or motard out a dirtbike and ride that on the road

ben300
03-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by buck440
even if i seen a busa for real cheap i know better than that, i will stick within my limits in my opinion the cbr600rr and i ride dirtbikes so i would think i have the upper hand over the average joe. and yah i think they are cool among many other things, and i don't come by much money that often so it's either that or......well it's just that. i don't want to sound cocky but if i take it easy and take the course like 250R-Dee said i should be good.

you sound like my buddy from college...he now walks with a limp and has next to no use in his right arm....

jcv400ex
03-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by buck440
and anothe question, what are the gears when shifting, like my 400ex is down all the way for first, up a tad neutral,up 2, up 3, up 4, up 5. what is it on a bike?

I nominate this as the #1 reason for you to take a motorcycle safety training course BEFORE you buy a bike.

I'm really not trying to be an *** here. I started riding in the dirt when i was 3. Turned 16 and wanted to ride street real bad. Parents where totally against it. Summer after i turned 17, dad finally let me take his bike out. Street riding is totally different than dirt. There's just certain things you need to learn to be safe out there. Certain issues arise and you need to know how to handle the bike. Pavement hurts alot worse than dirt/gravel and you have road signs, guard rails oh and 3,000 lb vehicles on the road to worry about also.
You come across something on the road around a curve at 60mph, you need to know how to either avoid it or run it over properly. it's not just lean back and blip the throttle to loft the front end over it like in the dirt. Wet pavement, oil spots, gravel.

It's just like jumping out of a plane without learning how to open your chute.

Regular_Joe
03-13-2009, 08:54 AM
I learned to ride at 13 on my dads old motorcycle around my parents farm. Learned quickly street tires on dirt are scary, but it made me a good rider. By the time I hit 16 getting my license was so easy. I am now in my 30's and have never had an accident to this day.

I accompanied my fiancee to the MSF course because she wouldn't go alone. Even I learned stuff here and there.

Lessons like not target fixating and looking where you want to go are priceless. If you look down a lot your going down. There is a box where they test you. You have to do figure 8's in it. You can watch people like clockwork. They are doing awesome and have a ton of room to spare if they look where they need to go. The minute they lose focus and look down its over and they are outside the box.

They also teach about obstacles and road debris. In our class one exercise actually had you purposely hitting things like 2x4 blocks of wood and stuff. The best part is your using their bikes to do it.

Overall it was a really good class. It also showed me a great approach to teaching someone to drive standard vehicles. I have taught countless others since then.

buck440
03-13-2009, 09:34 AM
how long are the classes for that and how much? what all paperwork does it take to make it legal and how much?

JForestZ34
03-13-2009, 10:02 AM
I was going to take the course my father did. I think it was around 300 for 3 days by me, Fri,Sat,Sun. You go through the course and if you pass the give you a piece of paper that you bring to the DMV. That paper tells them you passed the road test so you don't have to take the road test with the DMV. My father said it's worth it. Now all I need is to get off my last butt and do mine.

Everybody in this topic is telling this young man what not to get, but we will not stop him from making his choice. The first bike I ever rode was a Ninja 250, fast enough to still kill yourself. My friend let me ride it around for a while. Then my father asked me if I wanted to take his softail out for a spin. I said are you sure. The only words out of his mouth was " you scratch it you die" LOL. I just went around the block and came right back. I told him that's it's too much for me and wasn't ready for it yet. Alot of people don't understand when they say they want a street bike but never rode one. OH THE 600 or the 1000 cc bike will be good for a first bike for me. Too many people that might be true, but these same people don't understand that on cbr 600 you can pull the front wheel in third doing 85-100 mp without breaking a sweat. That is what makes these bikes dangerous is how quick younger get yourself in trouble. These bikes are just made to ride fast, just like my yfz450, it's not meant to just putt around on it's made to RUN...... If the OP Wants to get the bike just please be careful and ride within your limits..

James