PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Audi's?

HondaEXrider22
03-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Spec. an A6

I am going to look at a 2000 Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo 6speed. The ad says well maintained, two new turbos and clutch, and all power options. Car has 130k on it. He is asking $5000. Too good to be true? Anyone with any experience? Things to look for? Any help?

Rich250RRacer
03-07-2009, 11:04 AM
I like Audi's, especially the new A5/S5, but when you're dealing with a car that is 9 years old, high miles, and foreign, you're asking for trouble. Parts are much more expensive than a domestic car, and usually harder to get, especially for something more exotic than your run of the mill Toyota, Honda, or Nissan. I work in the auto parts business and I see it EVERY day. A newly stimulated Obama supporter called me yesterday for a clutch for a 92 Acura Vigor. When I told her the clutch cost $632, I don't know what hit the floor first, the fried chicken she was eating, or her body.:D In this economy, look for something practical and inexpensive, not something that you think is going to boost your status.

99_300ex
03-07-2009, 02:04 PM
i work at a shop and i myself dont work on them but some of the other guys i work with hate them they are absolute junk. they are so stuffed together in the engine bay that you gotta rip 30 pounds of plastic off to see the actuall engine. if i were u i would stay away from them but thats just my 2 cents so...

feuerstack411
03-07-2009, 02:46 PM
5g's for a year 2000 audi? Stay away. A 1996 A4 should be costing 5gs, not a 2000 a6. Audi's only started to become good cars recently.

Pipeless416
03-07-2009, 03:28 PM
my girlfriend drives a 2001 A6 2.7t. i don't know if i have ever seen a car with more problems. they are also a PAIN to work on.. even simple things like changing the air filter.. that being said, its a blast to drive, especially in the snow. also, it has nice, responsive handling, and the power produced by the turbos comes on like a two stroke.

PhilMoore
03-07-2009, 05:37 PM
My wife has a 1997 audi a6 quattro (AWD).

It is a very nice car, and not too bad to work on.

I had to put a new waterpump and timing belt in it last fall. She was driving it and it started to boil over. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on but, here is what happened:

The waterpump seized up tight. The water pump is driven by the flat side of the cam timing belt. The belt was just sliding on the pulley and not turning it. Problem is, this unit is an "interference" motor, so if the timing belt were to snap, the cams would stop, and the crank would continue to jam the pistons into any valves that were down. Luckily, this did not happen.

I put a new pump, belt, idlers, etc in and it has been running great since.

I would never buy one myself, but my wife just came home with it in retaliation the day after I bought my 450r. I think I got the better deal.

I bought all the parts on line and they were not "too expensive".