PDA

View Full Version : high elevation 450r carb Jetting

wyattearp29
03-07-2009, 01:18 AM
I have read alot about the 450r carb but know one ever says what elevation they are at when they jet. I am about 4500 to 6000 ft in utah. Is there anyone comparable to that. I am putting in a 416 kit 11:1 Stage 2 hot cam open air box fmf megamax. Again thanks for all the good info on the mod.

ds268
03-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Yup, thats me. I'm running a 190 main in the 450 carb with my home elevation at just under 6000ft. We'll be going down to sand hollow tomorrow if you're around that area near st. george which is aroun 4500'. I've riddin my 450 and 400 in the cali desert @ 1500' and never change the jetting and ran great. They're not as temperamental as people think around here. Some people here think they need to rejet every time they change 1000' in elevation.

wyattearp29
03-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Hey thanks for the info. It nice to have have somebody from utah reply. I actually live up north in Payson. We go to little sahara alot. I want to get down that way and try out the dunes. Hey when you did your mod what did you do with air box. I see alot of people move them forward. I also seen a guy is making adapters for them. Also did you keep the stock pilot. Thanks again

ds268
03-09-2009, 08:57 AM
I have a bracket system that holds the stock airboot and K&N so it deletes the airbox. With the adapter, it alows for factory placement. I'll take a picture of my setup so you get an idea. It works really well. Yesterday was the first time out and I could not believe the difference it made! Hill climb or flat drag, I was wheel to wheel with my bro's 06 hrc 450r. I'm running a 190 main and 48 pilot and middle needle position and it was smooth.

yellow416ex
03-09-2009, 09:52 AM
If you dont plan on removing your air box that adapter ring works great, you dont have to move the box at all. It might be kind of hard to find one now though. ZRpilot had them made about 2 years ago.

I'm runnin the same motor set up, I have a 180 main and 45 pilot

ds268
03-09-2009, 01:32 PM
If I can get enough people interested in the adapter ring then I might be able to have some made. Let me know...

wyattearp29
03-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Hey thanks for the info. I just got my carb today. It has a 180 main and I am not sure on the pilot. I made an adapter maybe we will have to see if it works. I need to plug the hot start hole and drill the new vent.

ds268
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
It is so much easier to get the factory hot start plunger than filling the hole with silicon and its a lot cleaner, plus you don't screw the carb up with silicon. I ground the upper vent tube almost all the way down and tapped the hole and used a rounded button head screw with a dab of silicon on the threads to seal. It also helps to pull the intake manifold off and put the carb end in boiling water for a minute. It should stretch right over the carb with a little effort.

wyattearp29
03-10-2009, 09:04 AM
I got the original hot start cable. So you are saying just put the plug back in an cut the cable off or should I try to use it. I was also going to ask how the new oil cooler was working.

yellow416ex
03-10-2009, 09:27 AM
where else in utah do you guys like to ride? We've made the trip to sand hollow a few times and go to little sahara a little too often ha ha. Have you guys ever been to coral pink dunes?

ds268
03-10-2009, 12:36 PM
You could cut the cable if you want to but to make things more sanitary, I would just use a small bolt or screw that fits snugly into the boot and use the little wire pincher to seal it.

Oh ya, I ride everywhere but I'd say 80% takes place at Sand Hollow because it's only 30 mins away. Coral Pink is worth the drive as well but it is still too cold to camp out. We'll probably go in about a month. We will be attending the *fest at Lil Sahara this easter as well although we camp out of drunk yelling range. Don't get me wrong, just cause I live in Utah means I'm sober or associated with the mob... I'm just finishing my school career.

wyattearp29
03-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Yea thats what i kinda was thinking once I looked at the hot start cable. We ride alot of the canyons around here. I went down and rode the devils race track last year. We rode like 70 miles it was fun. We really like going to white sands out by little sahara.

yellow416ex
03-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Yeah I like sand hollow a lot, it kind of a long drive from the Orem/Provo area. but it was a nice escape from the snow in january
I thought about going to little sahara for easter this year but its such a madhouse down there. just too crowded for me.

Hey wyattearp, where is the devils race track? I've never heard of that.

wyattearp29
03-10-2009, 03:59 PM
It is down on the sanrafeal swell south of Price . Look it up on youtube. There is a section just for motorcycles and one for atv/jeep.