PDA

View Full Version : Starter Problems

wolfpack91
03-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Our Typhoon 90's starter quit engaging. It has less than 5 hours on the bike and it quit. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did it take to fix it? If parts are needed am I going to be able to get parts?

Thanks for the help!

Ride1Rob
03-06-2009, 05:57 PM
What exactly is it not doing? Won't turn over, clicking, not doing anything, etc... Also, what has been done to the motor? I have some nice mods done to my sons Typhoon 125 and we still use the electric starter.

wolfpack91
03-07-2009, 08:49 AM
The starter turns over but it doesn't engage on it. Motor is stock also. It also won't start kicking it either.

leager-n-ky
03-07-2009, 08:58 AM
We had some problems like this, If it is squeeling, or squeeking, there are some bolts on the back of the flywheel that back out. We also had one that would not start, but you could hear the starter spinning, it was a sheared keyway. The not starting with the kick starter, I noticed on the stock motors if I tried to kick start them, I kicked too hard and the clutch slipped, but the kids could do it with no problem. Also on the back side of the flywheel, there are these roller's, that the starter gear rides inside of, they grip the starter gear, and cause the flywheel to turn and start the motor, make sure they arent hanging up, they are spring loaded.

wolfpack91
03-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks, I'll bet it's that keyway. Because the starter spins, but you can tell it's not trying to turn the motor over.

wolfpack91
03-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Well it ended up being a bent exhaust valve. I guess it was stuck and when I tried to start it and it bent.