PDA

View Full Version : P.I.T.A. Twist Throttle Cable ???

IcutMetl
03-06-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm getting frustrated here; hopefully you can help me. Trying to put a twist throttle kit on my 250R.

Ordered the Motion Pro kit from Rocky Mtn.; I believe it is the "turbo throttle." When I bought my R a few weeks ago, I was told that it had a larger carb on it, guy said it was a 38mm. Not sure if that's true, but would explain why the throttle cable/cap assembly from the kit was too small. I ordered the Motion Pro cable from Dennis Kirk that they said would work with up to a 38mm Keihn PJ carb, and it doesn't fit.

My carb has a threaded hole where the cable fits into. The D.Kirk cable has an elbow bend and is supposed to slide in somehow, and the cable from the twist kit won't work either, it is a sliding-snap-in fit...so to speak.

I'd like to get around modifying my throttle cap and/or cable if possible. Any of you have an idea what exactly I need??

Appreciate the help!!

IcutMetl
03-06-2009, 02:00 PM
This is the cap/cable assembly as it came off of my 'wheeler.

deathman53
03-06-2009, 06:25 PM
you need a twist cable for a 85, ONLY 85 atc250r. You have to unscrew the nipple for the cable now, it should come off and it should have threads to screw in the 85 atc250r twist cable. What you have on that carb is a stock 85 atc250r cable. The carb you have originally came with a peice that screwed into the top and allowed for a elbow bend type end to go into it, the cable that was shipped with your kit is a :01-0227, right???

IcutMetl
03-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Exactly...I have an 01-0227. It's the one D/K catalog said would work with the PJ, but it has an elbow, and no adapter(like the one you describe) for it to slide into.

I looked on RM's & DK's websites- RM's doesn't give the Motion Pro number, and the one depicted for a twist cable for '85 atc250r also has a straight ferrule at the carb end (01-0721).

So, I either need this sleeve/adapter you're talking about, or a complete throttle cable that will go into a motion pro turbo throttle and thread directly into the top of my PJ.

deathman53
03-06-2009, 07:33 PM
a stock 85 cable screws into the carb top and so would I imagine an aftermarket one. The stock 85 uses a different carb than the 86-89, it is a round slide carb and uses a different top, on 86-89 its kinda pressed in there and its a flat side.

deathman53
03-06-2009, 07:53 PM
you have a turbo right?? then you will need cable 01-0409, if you have a vortex 01-0721. Those a cable for the stock carb and twist bodies. You need a cable that is a direct to the stock carb. If you call them up and ask what you have, tell them you have a stock 85 atc250r carb. Afterall, what is screwed onto your carb right now is replacement oem 85 atc250r throttle cable.

IcutMetl
03-08-2009, 09:58 PM
I really appreciate the help. I looked up the 01-0409 cable on MP's website, and the twist end looks spot-on, but the carb end looks like it has a slip-in ferrule instead of a thread-in??

Closest I can figure, the PJ38 came stock on a cr500. I looked on a Honda microfische for a CR500 carb, and the layout looks exactly like mine, with the threaded adapter, etc. The way it looks; to get all I would need, I'd have to order the cap set, gasket set, & sealing cap...$66.59 plus shipping...ouch!

What a pain.