PDA

View Full Version : Is my battery dieing?

shok47
03-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Alright so I had my quad all apart for about 3 months and I just got it together. Got everything connected and I went to start it and had to give it several tries. THen suddenly all the electricity was out completely. I let it sit and the green light comes back on.. GO start it again and then it dies b/c its too cold. The lights are off again.

SO basically I get enough power to start it but once its started the lights will start to dim, and when I shut it off, all the lights are off again. Then I have to wait again until the lights are back on.

Whats the deal here??

scuzz
03-06-2009, 01:29 PM
I had that happen to me after driving 6 hours to a riding spot.

It never would charge and died a lot. After $65 from the local atv shop it ran fine.

shok47
03-06-2009, 01:44 PM
THis happened ONCE before this happened. But that first time the lights never dimmed, there was just no electricity.

I also noticed that the neutral light will only go on if the headlights are on. weird? I double checked the wires near the battery and all the colors match.

Im trying a 2 amp trickle charge right now. see how it does tomorrow or tonight

scuzz
03-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Don't leave it on too long, you'll fry your battery.

Good luck.

shok47
03-06-2009, 02:01 PM
alright.

Did they tell you what the problem was with yours??

bigbad400
03-06-2009, 02:04 PM
i would get a new one if i was you, ive had a dead battery on a trail befor and not enough traction to start it by pulling or pushing, not fun just break down and get a new one, only other thing is maybe check your ground wire were it hooks to the frame, mine came off a couple times and then it would touch and it would work or it would blow a fuse, or nothing at all would happen. but better be safe than stranded.

shok47
03-06-2009, 07:39 PM
I would get a new battery but I want to diagnose it first.

Could this be an alternator problem?

EDIT

Well I just went out to check it out and I can say its not the battery because after it died, I watched it for about 3 minutes and suddenly the lights come back on full brightness.

I was talking to our mechanic and he said there may be a overheating sensor that will disable the electronics until it cools down.

CJM
03-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Or the battery has a bad cell or connection, in which case it will work then it wont work over and over and over.

Charge it and check the voltage, should be pretty high. Then let it sit a day and see if it discharges..

My battery is exactly what you have right now. I charged it just fine a few times but I think its shot since it will die after a day of no use.

You go to turn it on, key on bright green bulb. Go to hit the starter switch and barely a click. Let off for a sec, lights green again.

I charged mine, I rode mine for hours, etc etc. I sell car batteries among other things, your battery and mine are shot dude. Fork out the cash for the bigger battery iirc its a busa or something?

shok47
03-06-2009, 10:24 PM
alright. Ill try a different battery It has a Yuasa right now. my brother has a cbr 600 and when I was looking on ebay for 400ex batteries it said the battery they are selling will work with these makes/models. Give it a try?

CJM
03-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Couldnt hurt..

Make sure you check the terminals to make sure they are tight first to eliminate the fact that might be causing it-but i doubt it.

shok47
03-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Yup, checked the terminals already several times. checked all the running wires as well, they are going to the same colors. THe ground for the battery is tight on the frame, and the ground near the ignition coil as well.

shok47
03-07-2009, 05:22 PM
I have a digital multimeter and want to check if it is leaking voltage. Do I set it to V to AC? Im having our mechanic come over but if anyone can tell me what to turn the dial to it would help. Im just trying to learn on my own for now.

shok47
03-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Well we did some tests and found that there is continuity going to the alternator, and all the wires going to the regulator are showing readings. We also tested with a different regulator and the problem still remains.

We concluded that the battery is fine, it held a charge over day. The problem is that when we let is idle and then rev it, the voltage will drop a little.

There is a chance it is something in the alternator / stator or bad/loose wire that is doing this. Im just hoping its not something in the alternator/stator because that would suck. I mean everything worked before I took everything off. now that everything is back on its doing this!!!