PDA

View Full Version : My first ride report

MtnEX
03-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Well, I got to introduce myself and my KFX450R to an afternoon of TIGHT TECHNICAL woods riding.

This place is not rocky or real rough or real steep. But it is super tight, twisty and technical. A good place to start out with my new quad, provided I could keep it out of the trees and brush. Certainly tighter than a harescramble or GNCC course.

I have also rode here with my other two quads recently. So I would be able to size the KFX450R up really quickly in this environment.

Now I tell it like it is period, so I hope folks here can take criticism along with the praise...

The seat everyone complains about... I didn't even notice it, but my buns do remember it a little now.

The vibration everyone talks about... I was concerned because I'm a bit sensitive to that... but I didn't notice much of that either. In fairness I haven't done a lot of high reving though.

I do have something that makes a vibrating buzzing noise lower in the front that I can't seem to locate.

The ergos are just unreal great for me... like a step above a custom aftermarket chassis. And the steering effort... it is soooo light. It really cuts down on the fatigue of twisty trails.

It doesn't turn tight for crap. The stem or stops need a grind job to tighten it up a lot. This was a pretty big handicap in the places where it wasn't cool to throttle the rear around. In some of those sections I spent more time in reverse than I did in second gear. EVERYTHING ABOUT THE REVERSE IS SOOO NICE.

This brings me to the next thing... somehow it's too fast at minimal speeds. It has the same chain gearing setup as my 400EX, but somehow it's still too fast. So I would say it needs a 13t front for me, but what I believe it really needs is another gear under what it has. I have often wondered anyways why these 450's don't have a 6 speed tranny for this reason.

The clutch slipping wasn't bad though, thanks to a nice pull and nice short hardware on the bars.

The gearbox is really excellent in operation. Shifting is amazing both ways. Neutral is an instant find, and the reverse engagement is sooo nice. The only time it didn't work instantly, I found I'd wedged a big stick between the frame and shifter... lol...

The fenders somehow don't offer as much splash protection from water and mud. But all of the plastic lines are great in the woods except for the points on the front fenders. I wedged some things between the takeoffs and nosepiece.

The engine is great after a certain RPM off the bottom. The throttle response is instant from the EFI. The revs and acceleration build quick. But I still have a lot of work to do on throttle maneuvers for the tight technical obstacles. It may be that I'm fishing in the wrong RPM, or I need to get more creative on the clutch work.

The stock tires are fair actually. But I did ride with concern of a puncture not knowing how well they are constructed.

The handling is superb even with everything as it was when I took delivery from the dealer. The tires have some roll and want to bite and rail sometimes when you want to slide. The suspension settings are a bit stiffer than I expected also. But even as is, it still feels to me like it out-handles any stock sport quad I've ridden and I've been on all but the KTM.

The combination of the stiff suspension, super easy thumb throttle, instant throttle response and lackluster turning radius got me pounced all out of shape and almost in trouble through a section of clay wash-rut-whoops.

The bike kicked back quicker than my thumb could compensate, the throttle rapped easily and the engine barked proudly... pouncing me all out of shape suddenly, which blew my attack, killed my rhythm... causing me to lauch and over-shoot.

Luckily I didn't launch out of the whole section into the trees on either side of my exit opening into the woods. Instead I landed dead parallel into the last face. It was soaked right up, but took all my momentum. I stalled and slid backwards into the pit bottom.

I regained my composure and after another stall I managed to dig up out.

Overall I am happy, but have a few things to iron out.

masterp0606
03-06-2009, 12:10 AM
It will take some time to get used to but when you do you will love it all.

MtnEX
03-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by masterp0606
It will take some time to get used to but when you do you will love it all.

Yeah, I can get a professional grind on the steering and make it turn sharper... sharp enough I hope.

I can dig around and figure out how to adjust the shocks to suit me, and that will finish off the handling.

The low speed operation is my biggest foe right now I think. I have to get it slowed down, or build the rock bottom off-idle grunt, or get a rekluse clutch, or start lowering gearing... or all...

I may get a 13t and 12t to try out just for the heck of it. I figure the price is 5 mph top speed loss per tooth. No big deal sometimes here. But what I would hate to have happen is for this to shorten up my shifting too much.

BLU82
03-06-2009, 06:56 AM
I would give the shocks some time to break-in before you adjust them too much. Mine were really stiff too, but after riding it for a while they softened up some.

masterp0606
03-06-2009, 07:48 AM
I don't think they make a 12 tooth sporket for the kfx. A 13 tooth will deff make a big difference and give you a lot of torque. Your really the first person I have herd of that actually wants to go lower on the gearing .

bo142s
03-06-2009, 10:11 AM
I tried a 13 due to the tires I put on and for the tight trails it was great until I got a pc3 full exhaust and intake then it just spun the crap out of the tires then went back to 14

03-06-2009, 11:11 AM
hmmm glad you like it...so far...but that sounds like me after my first ride on the 450r...i hope your your overall experience is better than mine was...

mod440ex
03-07-2009, 02:40 AM
that sounds like you put it through a pretty good first test. dont really put much concern on the tires they havent given me any problems, knock on wood. i have ridden on a lot of rocks and ledges and still have not cut one.

has for the suspension i would give it some time and after it gets loosened up take it to the woop section with a small screwdiver and have fun.

i know when i first got mine before i put a pipe on it i heard what sounde it be like engine chatter, just throw on a pipe and fuel optimizer and you wont have to worry about it again:D

CTmxyfz
03-07-2009, 05:03 AM
you must be a rec rider and havent ridden any other 450s really. The kawi turns light years before a yammi even thinks of turning or any other make for that matter. The kawi is the fastest, tightest turning bike. The front end feels the lightest doing all that as well. Though some people say it has a twitchy feeling trying to go straight down rough stuff at high speeds. It hasnt really bothered me racing it. The throttle is also smooth as butter.

MtnEX
03-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
hmmm glad you like it...so far...but that sounds like me after my first ride on the 450r...i hope your your overall experience is better than mine was...

I like it way better than the 450R and YFZ450. It's not quite as woods worthy as the KTM 450 engine seems (72mm stroke) but it is certainly the best of the Japanese offerings for the woods.... and I swear I think it has a stock "better than aftermarket custom" chassis.

MtnEX
03-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by CTmxyfz
you must be a rec rider and havent ridden any other 450s really. The kawi turns light years before a yammi even thinks of turning or any other make for that matter. The kawi is the fastest, tightest turning bike. The front end feels the lightest doing all that as well. Though some people say it has a twitchy feeling trying to go straight down rough stuff at high speeds. It hasnt really bothered me racing it. The throttle is also smooth as butter.

I'm a trail rider now, but I was putting in race laps on 250R's when your mom and dad were putting in practice laps on making you. :D

I've ridden other 450's and like this one best all-around. I think the KTM 450 might be a little better in off-idle torque and slow speed work (due to 72mm stroke). But I am basing that off a limited test ride on a KTM powered Outlaw 450 with 18" razr mx tires.

The KFX450R is the best feeling bike I have ever been on, and yes it does turn sooo well.....

But it does not turn SHARP at the steering stem. Not as sharp as my OVER-modified 400EX... somebody ground the stops down too far and it will turn so sharp the wheels will hit the a-arms.

So to me it does not turn very tight, so I will have a pro grind the stops for me, not quite to the max but close.

mod440ex
03-07-2009, 04:42 PM
i have a gibson steering stem and i think they allow for a little tighter turning radius, but i also maybe blowing smoke too:confused:

MtnEX
03-10-2009, 01:30 AM
The more I ride this thing, the more I like it.

In fact, the more thumb I give it, the better I like it.

I just wish I could find the source of these buzzing vibration sounds I hear occasionally.... one in front and one in back.

k4f5x0r
03-10-2009, 03:51 AM
one in the back is most likely the toolkit.. as for front im not too sure. i would say a metal skidplate but your stock soo im stumped. could just be a loose bolt somewhere :confused:

MtnEX
03-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks... you have consistantly been a ton of help to me.

On a side note, are there any pictures of your quad anywhere with that tire/wheel combo of yours on?

CTmxyfz
03-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by mod440ex
i have a gibson steering stem and i think they allow for a little tighter turning radius, but i also maybe blowing smoke too:confused:

Your right i think. I have a roll stem on my Creamer bike and she turns FAST. I got rid of the roll/fox and got walsh/fox and with that stem the rims will actually contact the a arms. she turns like a mofo

k4f5x0r
03-10-2009, 12:47 PM
no problem, ive learned everything from being on here so its only fair i pass it on :D . and yea i have a few pictures on my photobucket. ill post them up right now

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee278/irollgen4s/ryanandfall005.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee278/irollgen4s/ryanandfall007.jpg

sorry for the huge pictures. and i do have to say it does look pretty bad *** with those tires and wheels :devil: . but im going to 18's after i wear out my stock wheel/razr combo. 20's just simply SUCK on a mx track :mad:

BLU82
03-10-2009, 03:45 PM
I think the vibrateing noise you hear in the front are the springs on the shocks. My old kfx450 did that if I remember correctly.

KFX450Rrider490
03-10-2009, 03:45 PM
i would check your plastic bolts because mine came loose and fell out but before that i would hear a humm (oh and loctite them) also chech your skid plates that was my newest problem(and only)

MtnEX
03-10-2009, 08:10 PM
The one in the back was my tail light.

I don't quite understand the design...
I get the rubber... anti-vibe...

But isn't there a better way that will make it snug?

I'm thinking of adding a washer and locknut.

KAWIRYDER
03-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Thats what I did on my tail light also and haven't had any problems. Check the bolts that hold the heel guard to the footpeg, I lost one of them.

MtnEX
03-11-2009, 12:04 AM
k4f5x0r,

How do those feel compared to stock, or do you know?

How's the wear?

Either the KFX is really-really great or the stock tires are not all that terrible. They do want to bite sometimes when you want the rear to slide and drift. But I have had worse.

I like the GNCC front looks, and the rear looks like a good self-cleaner, but also looks a little round like the stockers.

My HD's on the EX are very square and slide real easy, more than you expect sometimes even. But I am not overly impressed with the wear. It seems like the Razr is a harder, longer wearing knob.

k4f5x0r
03-11-2009, 09:15 AM
well the wear time is decent. depending on what you ride on. on mucky loose wet soil the tires are PERFECT. they handle exactly how you want them to. on dryer stuff they are fairly decent too.

i havent had mine for a long time but my dad had a set on his 300ex that gets used a bit around here and they still have 80-85 percent tread. just make sure you dont go on the road alot.

and in the picture they were slightly over inflated :blah: