PDA

View Full Version : metal in the oil filter

anthonyjohnbazz
03-05-2009, 08:50 PM
new motor has maybe 3 hours on it ..... motor started making a grinding noise from behind the cylinder but has lost no power and it has metal in the oil filter .... has ne one run into this prolbem or what it could it possible be .....

LTRracer4
03-05-2009, 10:27 PM
how much metal? and how abnormal does the grinding sound sound? if its trace amounts then its normal from break in, but if its loaded then there is obviously an issue there.

gimp419
03-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Your first question should be if it's aluminum or not. Aluminum means you've got issues with your top end, if not then you've got tranny/crankcase issues.

scuzz
03-06-2009, 09:12 AM
You could use a magnet to tell the difference. (obviously)

:)

jherbie28
03-06-2009, 05:15 PM
new motor or new bike? warrenty?

anthonyjohnbazz
03-06-2009, 11:30 PM
well its metal.........i have rebulilt many tops end since i started racing but never a tranny but i guess its time to learn this is the 2nd one in 2 weeks my practice bike went a couple of weeks ago now my race bike ..... what issues should i look for gimp 419 i no with the other one it was third gear but this one hasent quit all together yet , it makes the noise louder when its rollling but also does it at idle....

gimp419
03-07-2009, 09:16 AM
What year is it? The 08 are notorious for 3rd gear failures. You are probably looking at having to replace 3rd and 4th drive and driven more than likely. Do it right and call ATP and get his billet gear sets, eliminates the problem the LTRs have. Why Suzuki put the gears to close together we'll never know.

anthonyjohnbazz
03-07-2009, 05:09 PM
its a 08 lol .....well thanks for ur help

jherbie28
03-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by anthonyjohnbazz
well its metal.........i have rebulilt many tops end since i started racing but never a tranny but i guess its time to learn this is the 2nd one in 2 weeks my practice bike went a couple of weeks ago now my race bike ..... what issues should i look for gimp 419 i no with the other one it was third gear but this one hasent quit all together yet , it makes the noise louder when its rollling but also does it at idle....

no offense but are you taking care of these machines? thats crazy two in a matter of weeks:ermm: are your motors stock or do they have crazy big bore kits, etc.......?