PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT

trick250r
03-05-2009, 04:25 PM
ok guys... Im looking for a new car and this caught my eye. i know im going to get a mustang but tell me what you think about this one. the only thing that scares me is that it says REAL COBRA but the reaer bumper says mustang instead of cobra. help me out guys, is it a fraud or not?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=258488959&dealer_id=63809763&ct=p

if that doesnt work, here are the details:

autotrader.com
car id: AT--F683A7F

KXRida
03-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Seems legit. It's pretty hard to find SVT tags, so if he did make it a "wanna be" car, he went through half of an extent to do it. IMO look for a newer cobra if you have the cash. Supercharged is the way to go. We have a 98 cobra. It's a good car, but charged would be a lot better.

The only thing that doesn't really match up is the interior. I believe the gauges as well as the steering wheel (and usually the seats as well) should have SVT on them. Ask him if it's a SOHC or DOHC motor.

CorvetteZ06
03-05-2009, 04:31 PM
in 1999, the rear bumper said Mustang, not Cobra. you can always call SVT with the Vin, if your worried. the car looks legit though.

jesseweaver
03-05-2009, 04:36 PM
if i got another car, i'd stay with a mustang, but def get an 03 i think it is or up SVT cobra. unfortunatly being 16 the moneys not really there lol. i think i'd stay away from a regular GT. the mach 1s are nice if you want a more luxury stang, i know 2 people that have them. and i love the shaker hoods but i'm pretty sure you can get everything you get on a mach 1 on a cobra (leather, 6 cd, etc...) something like 390 HP stock on those and i love how they look. that seems like a real good deal on that car though. throw some pipes on them and you have the most BA sounding car on the streets to.

BERT306
03-05-2009, 07:47 PM
a real 99 cobra would have Independant Rear Suspension, started in 99 on the Cobra models only, GTs had a solid rear axle

BERT306
03-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Yeah, just looked at the pics, its def got the 32 valve DOHC cobra motor. 320 hp, which 99s had recalls to fix the loss of power they had from the factory saying they had nowhere near 320. The recall changed exhaust and a few other things to bump power up.

I've had 9 stangs btw, 3 of them being Cobras

trick250r
03-05-2009, 08:33 PM
i knew about the IRS but i cant see it in the pics... i dont wanna drive the 4 hours away and find out its not what they say it is. im gonna call him tomorrow and talk to him about it. if everything he says seems legit, ill be taking a ride on sat :D

416exfreak
03-06-2009, 07:41 AM
It looks legit.

A kid at my school drives a '99 Cobra.

His rear bumper says COBRA, but those guages say SVT, and it has the right wheels. It also has the snake on the upper intake.

Thats a hard to find piece.

Those cars are just a naturally aspirated 4.6 modular engine. Not fast at all... the '03-'04 Cobra's are the bad MOFO's.

Id go check it out. It really looks legit to me.

03-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Shouldn't there be an RPO code? That just seems elementry.

CorvetteZ06
03-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
It looks legit.

A kid at my school drives a '99 Cobra.

His rear bumper says COBRA, but those guages say SVT, and it has the right wheels. It also has the snake on the upper intake.

Thats a hard to find piece.

Those cars are just a naturally aspirated 4.6 modular engine. Not fast at all... the '03-'04 Cobra's are the bad MOFO's.

Id go check it out. It really looks legit to me.

your friend probably put a rear humper from the 01 cobra, which says "cobra" on his 99. ive had a 96, 98, 2003, and now i have a 96 SVT Cobra, and that car looks legit. I would just call SVT with the vin, if your worried before taking the 4 hour trip. the motor def. looks like the 32 valve DOHC motor, and the rims and brake calipers are def. 99 Cobra. The yellow in the tail lights is also a cobra only piece, as well as the cobra on the steering wheel. It looks real to me, unkless this guy went to great lengths to change his V6 or GT into a cobra clone.

XCAdam89
03-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Looks legit, I test drove a 98' Cobra the other day. The only thing different was the gauges had a SVT Logo on them and the rear bumper said "Cobra"

The steering wheel has "Cobra" embossed on it though, just like the car you posted. I'd say go for it.

trick250r
03-06-2009, 05:55 PM
thanks guys... i think ima make the trip on sunday hopefully. lets hope i have a new toy sittin in the garage this week :blah: now on to bigger and better pastures... whats the difference between the 99 motors and the 03-04's

howlnhusky
03-06-2009, 06:25 PM
PM you

XCAdam89
03-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by trick250r
thanks guys... i think ima make the trip on sunday hopefully. lets hope i have a new toy sittin in the garage this week :blah: now on to bigger and better pastures... whats the difference between the 99 motors and the 03-04's

In one word, boost. 99-04 Mustangs are known as the "New Edge" body style generally, but the 03-04 Cobra's come standard with a supercharged engine.

03-04 Cobra:
http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/9435025/173_0306_5z+2003_Ford_Mustang_Cobra+Engine.jpg

Other Cobras:
http://www.e-informed.com/cobra/99cobra_engine1.jpg[

trick250r
03-06-2009, 11:40 PM
so with a supercharger, would it put out close to the same numbers?

trick450r
03-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by trick250r
so with a supercharger, would it put out close to the same numbers?

essentially.
Im not sure if you can put the factory cobra roots blower on your car or not?

if so that would be sick.

WhiteZrider
03-07-2009, 10:47 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/87n8jhVO784&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/87n8jhVO784&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mmmmmmm

Mean250r
03-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by XCAdam89
In one word, boost. 99-04 Mustangs are known as the "New Edge" body style generally, but the 03-04 Cobra's come standard with a supercharged engine.

03-04 Cobra:
http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/9435025/173_0306_5z+2003_Ford_Mustang_Cobra+Engine.jpg

Other Cobras:
http://www.e-informed.com/cobra/99cobra_engine1.jpg[

wrong. the 99-01 cobra are considered "new edge". The 03-04 are called "terminators"

There are a couple diffrences between the new edge and the terminators, the main diff is the supercharger.

I myself own a terminator. Cobras are great cars man and you will love yours. Trust me. Heres an older pic of mine. I kinda went for a new look, i will have new pics soon aha

XCAdam89
03-07-2009, 02:54 PM
My bad, that's what I meant. Sorry. I've been contemplating getting a cobra myself so I'm still in the research mode.

Kick arse cobra you have there though bud

D Bergstrom
03-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Looks like the real deal to me, he even showed the engine plate signed by the two guys who assembled the engine. (On Cobra's, two guys assemble the engine forom start to finish, unlike other motors that are assembled by multiple people on a assembly line.) Mileage is a little high, but nothing to worry about. Car looks good and it is a decent price.

All 99 and newer Cobra's use basically the same DOHC engine, Ford just beefed up the bottom end on the 03 and 04 due to the higher power output.

Here is my 03 Cobra, fun car! Unfortunately, it will probably be up for sale soon.:(

Doug

03-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
Looks like the real deal to me, he even showed the engine plate signed by the two guys who assembled the engine. (On Cobra's, two guys assemble the engine forom start to finish, unlike other motors that are assembled by multiple people on a assembly line.) Mileage is a little high, but nothing to worry about. Car looks good and it is a decent price.

All 99 and newer Cobra's use basically the same DOHC engine, Ford just beefed up the bottom end on the 03 and 04 due to the higher power output.

Here is my 03 Cobra, fun car! Unfortunately, it will probably be up for sale soon.:(

Doug

Get new springs and struts lowering that maybe 2" and that would be one bad arse ride! Nice cars that sit high just doesnt seem right. Plus it will handle much better even being an inch or 2 lower with stiffer springs.

03-07-2009, 10:20 PM
something more like this...

D Bergstrom
03-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
Get new springs and struts lowering that maybe 2" and that would be one bad arse ride! Nice cars that sit high just doesnt seem right. Plus it will handle much better even being an inch or 2 lower with stiffer springs.

I agree, it does sit to high, and new springs have always been on the list. Actually, alot of things have been on the list, probably the biggest reason I am selling it. I just do not have the time nor the funds to do anything to it, to many other projects that I have going on, my racing has always been the #1 priority.

Doug

03-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
I agree, it does sit to high, and new springs have always been on the list. Actually, alot of things have been on the list, probably the biggest reason I am selling it. I just do not have the time nor the funds to do anything to it, to many other projects that I have going on, my racing has always been the #1 priority.

Doug

make racing the car a priority lol. i actually think its more expensive for a quad than it is a car considering what you get out of both.