PDA

View Full Version : AMA 2009 Helmet Requirements?

WISH1965
03-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Does the AMA have any helmet requirements for youth ATV racing in 2009? In other words, is there any minimal helmet requirements like a Snell Foundation spec or any other Rating requirement as a such? I know many racing sanctioning bodies have helmet requirements, but I didn't know of anything or any requirements as they pertain to youth ATV racing in the AMA rules? The rationale to my Q is this: I have seen some businesses selling helmets at such discount pricing and in some cases the helmets are several years old that appear to maybe have outdated Snell or DOT specs? Any insight from anyone?

lauvrayracing
03-05-2009, 12:24 PM
I have not heard or seen anything, but I am sure it is there somewhere. Now, when it comes to safety for your rider, I would never go for a discount. The re-precussions (SP) for cutting this corner can and would be huge. Just my two cents but I bet there are a lot of others on here who would agree. Safety first always is what I stand by or at least as much as possible when it comes to racing. Stay safe and have fun.

WISH1965
03-05-2009, 07:49 PM
LRay,

not looking to cut corner on helmet safety. No price limitation there. What i meant was, high price helmets being discounted on price. It seems they may have been left overs, but have out of date Snell or Dot stickers/tags and perhaps that's why they we're cheap on price, not quality. Again, many racing sanctioning bodies want current std. Snell or Dot etc. and i was wondering if AMA was no execption? Thanks.

WW

redonkulousruntsracing
03-06-2009, 07:28 AM
yes there are requirements. You can go on AMA's website and download 2009's MX rules, I just did it yesterday and there is a helmet requirement. See for yourself.

WISH1965
03-07-2009, 11:07 AM
SAS,

Thanks for the heads up. This applies to youth as well?