PDA

View Full Version : swingarm bearings stuck!

shok47
03-04-2009, 08:18 PM
So my swingarm bolt was dead seized in the collar. I after hours and hours of hammer, pb blast, I brought it to a shop and they charged me $75.

Now Im trying to remove all the leftover bearings and such. It is a PITA! I had to heat and dremel the outer part out which was a horrible task. Has anyone run into this problem as well??? I need some advice on this because i thats the only thing stalling me!

buster024
03-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Everyone that has taken their rear end off, has had that problem. No magic that I'm aware of. Use the search feature....there has recently been threads about this.

shok47
03-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Just read the searched threads. got some ideas now.

one was to get a socket and hammer it out? What way do the bearings come out on the stock swingarm?? towards the outside of the arm right?

droppedmazda
03-04-2009, 09:56 PM
yes they come out the outside of the swinger

shok47
03-04-2009, 09:57 PM
So im guessing there is a lip on the inside to stop it from moving inwards? How do you use the socket and hammer technique if its there?

honda400ex2003
03-05-2009, 07:53 AM
it helps to pound it in there again after it is out. I used a chisel to pound out the old ones and a socket to pound in the new ones. I just used the chisel to get the edge of the old bearings and kept working around the bearing until it came out. it doesn't really matter if you screw them up since they are junk anyway. teh new ones are the ones you have to be careful with. Make sure the socket its on the outside frame of the bearing so it does not bend anything inside it. It would take quite a bit to bend it pout I ws hittin them pretty hard to get them in all the way. It took me about 45 minutes once I got the axle and stuff out. There is a c clip inside of the right side also that has to come out. good luck it is not too bad if you take your time. steve

RATPACK Z400
03-05-2009, 01:20 PM
put swing-arm in freezer then bang out will save you lots of time come out easy use old socket that fits prefect then bang away!

ohsobad_chevy
03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Use the right size socket and an extension to drive them out. Works like a champ.

Young_Gun1
03-05-2009, 01:50 PM
And before you put the new ones in freeze those but not the swingarm
actually if you can warm up the swingarm it'd go in easier

ohsobad_chevy
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Young_Gun1
And before you put the new ones in freeze those but not the swingarm
actually if you can warm up the swingarm it'd go in easier

All you have to do is put the bearings/bushings, etc in the freezer for a couple hours and they will slide in like butter.

hondaking52
03-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by shok47
Just read the searched threads. got some ideas now.

one was to get a socket and hammer it out? What way do the bearings come out on the stock swingarm?? towards the outside of the arm right? they can go out either way, i just got a socket tht fit the outside wall and pounded them out, even the really rusted one wasnt tht bad....

BERT306
03-05-2009, 06:19 PM
I had to use a dremel and cutting wheel and spiral cut the dang things out

honda400ex2003
03-05-2009, 06:56 PM
That would suck!! I'm glad mine came out pretty easy. steve

shok47
03-05-2009, 10:52 PM
So they got in either way? There is nothing inside of there that stops the bearing??

Well I had to dremel the hole thing. It took a very long time. Used those sanding drums and grinders to take them out. Went right down the the surface. Good thing there was a color difference or else I wouldnt have known how far to grind down.

We for the new bearings, the majority of it slid in fine, probably because of my sanding, then I had to tap them in so they are actually tight in there. Just wondering if that could cause some premature wear?

Im sure too maintenance these parts so I dont run into these insane jobs. Our mechanic has this grease honda uses on the s2000 splines and I will use that next time.