PDA

View Full Version : Building a small XC track

Porkchop
12-26-2002, 12:21 PM
The trails around here are just getting boring and either getting rutted out or mostly just lead to loggin roads which isnt fun after awhile.. so a buddy and I are gonna start building a XC track across the road up in the woods, what I wanna know is what makes a perfect track... what do I need, and what not :p It's just something to play on so its nothing pro-level or anything.

Pappy
12-26-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Porkchop
rutted out .

xc=ruts ...rocks....water....logs...stumps....trees....hil ls....ditches....the tougher the better.

Porkchop
12-26-2002, 12:32 PM
well.... maybe i just should have said trails instead :p :rolleyes:

Pappy
12-26-2002, 12:34 PM
hahah i know where yer comin from...it all gets old after awhile....new trails are always the funnest to ride:p

Wingnut
12-26-2002, 12:46 PM
When making the trails don't use anything other than hand tools (no chainsaws, bobcats, etc.). This will make the trails tighter and take longer to ride which makes them seem longer. Don't cut down anything that you could not run over with your 4-wheeler. Since this is in the racing section, I assume that you and your buddy like to race each other. If so then you need to make a few passing lines just to keep things exciting. Don't make trails on the whole piece of property at one time. Use a small section at first and as you get tired of that add small sections at a time. After a while you will have enough trails that you will be able run several different combinations of trails to make a loop.

Porkchop
12-26-2002, 01:11 PM
now that sounds like a good plan Wingnut.. thank you :macho

Wingnut
12-26-2002, 08:42 PM
Your welcome!

One more thing, don't make the trails too straight. The trails I ride were mostly made to get from point "A" to point "B". That made the trails short and straight. You should make your trails use up as much of the land as possible. Also, scout out the land as much as possible before hand looking for any challenging obsticles than can be incorperated into the trails.

toby400ex
12-26-2002, 09:10 PM
if you want a real xc track make sure you have some long whooped out parts, those are the most tiring things i have ever done, and when theyre there during a 2 hour race it doesnt make em any better, and some sweet creek crossings, you cant forget some scary hills.

trx400ex
12-26-2002, 09:25 PM
yeah scout out the hills and creek crossings, dropoffs, natural jumps etc. ahead of time, then go out and tear it up:macho

toby400ex
12-26-2002, 09:44 PM
just think about anything that could tire you the most on a trail, then you will have the perfect xc track.

Porkchop
12-26-2002, 09:46 PM
welp me and my buddy walked out our track/trails.. its going to be pretty bad! :macho it doesnt have any jumps or whoops, but its gonna be tough and windey, which we both wanted.. we took Wingnuts idea and picked out a few spots to pass and there's a few hill climbs in it too.. we're gonna start tommrow around 11 and it shouldnt take that long either :D :square :blah

wish us luck :macho

2 QuicK
12-27-2002, 09:35 PM
All i did to make my trails and stuff in my woods was take a metal garden rake and an axe. I walked the trail where i wanted it to be, went around the big trees, cut the little ones down, and raked all the leaves and twigs outa the way to make a trail. Works great. Try it.

MojaveKing
12-27-2002, 11:03 PM
i mowed a path in my g-pas pasture this summer and went on it today with tha snow.......deep in some spots so i went around a lil. bit........ya all i did was made a path wit my Gator then mowed it with our Bush hog and there i did it

660bigdaddy
12-28-2002, 08:14 AM
we have a 3 mile practice track i guy lets us ride on every wed. during the summer. i drive 30 minutes just to get there. we have about 4-5 guys show up to push each other. i wish i had something across the street to practice on . you guys are lucky...
when you get bored w/ your track. run it backwards. totally different.

250rmike
12-28-2002, 10:56 AM
heck when we want new rails just go in btween the trees an turf it alittle so you can remeber where to go then just keep doing it until its a trail. we just use dads sportsman 500 and put it in 4wd to make trails if there a littl tree in the way just run it over. winter is also the best time to make trails so u can get the broken in by race season and also so u dont have to deal with shrubbery

Rip_Tear
12-28-2002, 07:35 PM
XC is the funnest thing ever! I love my trails, I would suggest making loops though, so you aren't back traking, most of my trails are just one way so you follow it in an out. Its much more fun to take a different way each time, even though the trail isnt the same going the other way. I hate cutting little trees, cause then you have a pointy object to manuver around and we all hate popped tires! Good Luck:D