PDA

View Full Version : question about ski's

BigRed44
03-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Wondering if anyone has any experience with these or know how well they work. Guy is asking $125 OBO. Should i jump on it or is it not worth it??

billyboy93
03-04-2009, 03:39 PM
they r ment 4 tracks in the rear

beags86
03-04-2009, 03:40 PM
no i wouldn't.. i made some for my 400 this winter, i am welder by trade so it wasn't to hard... first i put a ad out on craigslists telling someone i wanted a set of old skis or old sled, and after a bunch a of replies i had myself a brand new 79 Arctic cat panther 5000!! for free. i cut off the skis and welded up some brackets to mount the hub to the ski. i measured off the ground the the hub for ride height and made my brackets to maintain the stock ride height. all you do is unbolt the wheel and bolt on the ski. simple. then i got a set of paddle tires for 25$, and had them mounted on a set a rims, 44$ so for 69 dollars and some time i was ready for snow.(got metal for welding brackets for free from work)

well let me you what a waste of damn time and 69 dollars. the thing is worthless is snow. if all you have is a few inches2-3 maybe 4 it's fun but any drift at all and you will high center and your pushing. the paddle tires are the ticket, they rip, but in any more the 4 inches your throwing more snow then anything. third gear is about tops. it can't go over anything deep (i.e. drifts. piled snow)
there is just not enough surface contact with the skis and tires to get above the snow. the skis float great but the rear tires will dig to china and back if you get stuck. and lastly, while riding i never thought about what a paddle tire spinning at wot does to the grass under the snow in the front yard.

the only real fun i had with it was going on the icey driveway and cranking the skis one way which would make it do a 360 and put me back on the same line i was going in..pretty fun...but it also cost me. i wanted to see if i could pull a skiie (lol-wheelie) so i tried it and the damn ski came all the way around and hit my caliper and breaking off the little white plastic thing right behind the caliper. so now i got to buy another one of those..

now lastly one thing... i got my snowmoblie out and ran that a bit.. and if you only drive where a bunch of sleds have compacted the snow, it's alright, but since this kind of thing is prohibited on the trails in my area it's a mute point.

but if you still think this is your cup of tea, i 'll sell you mine....lol

grassman
03-04-2009, 04:00 PM
these arent mine but it seems to be a better set up

beags86
03-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by grassman
these arent mine but it seems to be a better set up

pretty much what mine look like...i can't find a pic of mine right now

honda400ex2003
03-05-2009, 08:28 PM
i may have to make a set this summer just to try them out on the lake i live on. i like the one with the 400ex. The shocks would really help to minimize the chatter in the skis. steve