PDA

View Full Version : Stroker Engines?

Sparks425Ex
12-26-2002, 12:06 PM
What is Stroking yor engien actually do?

What is involved with Stroking an engine?

What do you need to stroke somthing?

How Much does it cost?

Is it more reliable than just plain out boring?

sly400ex
12-26-2002, 12:12 PM
I can help a little here. Stroking your engine is basically making the stoke longer by putting a longer connecting rod in there. It gives you more torque and power. It is kind of a big job, since you have to split the cases. I'm sure others in here will gove you much better info. And let's hear Jaaber's explanation too!!

oynot400
12-26-2002, 12:42 PM
I hate to tell you but stroking an engine is a little more than putting in a longer rod. To stroke an engine, you have to have you crank machined. The rod journal needs to be moved out so many millimeters. Then it needs to be balanced. To stroke a crank runs about $600.
Stroking changes the rod to crank angle. Think of a bicycle, when you change the petals to a longer stroke you can get more power/speed out of the same bike.
To have your motor stroked the cases need to be spilt and the crank removed. Depending on how handy and the tool you have. It may be a good idea to send it to someone to have it done.
A properly done stroker will be just as reliable as anything else. Although you need to do some maintaince to keep it that way. I was told to change the oil every 2 races and re-ring it once a year.
There are several engine builders that will do you a good job. Such as Sparks, TC, FST, FDO and Powroll. I would suggest talking with several if not all of them.
This is not a cheap mod, you are probably looking at $1500-$3000 to get a motor done.
Do a search, there is some good info on this subject. If you need phone numbers let us know.
Good Luck.....:)

Sparks425Ex
12-26-2002, 12:51 PM
Well If anyone does it Sparks will be doing it. He has always done my engines and will continue to.

Dave400ex
12-26-2002, 01:50 PM
If you want Sparks to do it you better call and put your name on the list.

Sparks425Ex
12-26-2002, 01:55 PM
I don't worry about lists and Stuff. I will get it done eventually.