PDA

View Full Version : time for us to take down Smokey the Bear

Pipeless416
03-03-2009, 10:59 PM
hey everybody. as i'm sure you're all aware, defending our sport is becoming quite the chore for a lot of organizations. i am sick of hearing how starting an ATV can cause a wild fire from smokey the bear. theres a comment section on the USDA's website.. i think everybody who reads this should take the liberty of sending a polite, respectful message showing your feelings on the subject. i am tired of the propaganda they spread.

heres mine..

As a responsible ATV operator, I am a bit concerned with the "Smokey the Bear" television and radio advertisements specifically targeting ATVs and other ORVs as a main cause of wildfires. With a working USFS approved spark arrestor in place, the threat of wild fires caused by a small engine is so insignificant that it should not be displayed to the public anymore. This is a completely false piece of information and it portrays ignorance on the USFS's part. As a concerned citizen and tax payer, I am sure you will understand that I am offended that my money is being used to spread misconceptions about my sport. Thank you.

http://www.fs.fed.us/contactus/

Chit
03-03-2009, 11:32 PM
I'll take out his legs..

buck440
03-04-2009, 09:06 AM
why that ************ **** SUCKER ******* *** HOLE SON OF A ***** BEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05LSR250R
03-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Theres a National Tallgrass Prairie close to my house. Out in front of the ranger building theres a Smokey The Bear wooden statue. It holds a sign thatposts how high the fire hazard is on a peticular day. Someone shot it in the back of the head with a couple broadheads! LMAO!! They are still in there! Everytime I drive by on the way to work I laugh at it! The DNR has seen it! They must not give a damn or their stuck in too far!! LMAO!!

Pipeless416
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by buck440
why that ************ **** SUCKER ******* *** HOLE SON OF A ***** BEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please, stay out of this thread if you're not willing to help. im sick of reading nonsense posted by you everywhere.

quad2xtreme
03-04-2009, 01:52 PM
where did you see the advertisement of this? I thought it was pulled months and months ago.

Pipeless416
03-04-2009, 01:59 PM
i just saw it on.. the history channel? i think that was it. i also hear it everyday on the radio.

justen08
03-04-2009, 02:07 PM
thats what they pay us to put out forest fires i work for louisiana forestry and thats what we are there for same as the US forest service thats or job and thats job security for us:)

brian76708
03-04-2009, 03:01 PM
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/473813.html

03-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Heres what I sent.

Hello.
As a fellow responsible ATV rider, I am very concerned about your ads on TV and the radio. They portray ATV's as the leading cause of forest fires. I wish to inform you this is very untrue and makes us responsible riders look bad. ALL ATV's from the manufacture come with USFS approved spark arrestors. Along with that, many aftermarket exhaust systems come with a USFS approved spark arrestor also. I find your ads very disrespectful to the sport and wish to have them removed.
Thanks.

Pipeless416
03-04-2009, 04:13 PM
thank you eric. i know our voices are insignificant compared to organizations such as the BRC, but every bit helps.

03-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
thank you eric. i know our voices are insignificant compared to organizations such as the BRC, but every bit helps.

Yeah. We may not be much, but if enough people did the same thing it may make an impact.

It makes me sick to my stomach how so many people want our sport dead. It's a short life, and ATV'ing is one of a very few things that brings me pleasure in life.

Pipeless416
03-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
Yeah. We may not be much, but if enough people did the same thing it may make an impact.

It makes me sick to my stomach how so many people want our sport dead. It's a short life, and ATV'ing is one of a very few things that brings me pleasure in life.

you need a girlfriend :devil:

03-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
you need a girlfriend :devil:

hey hey hey, notice I said "ONE" of a few things :devil:

Doober
03-04-2009, 05:04 PM
I sent an email to them pretty close to both of yours...

quad2xtreme
03-04-2009, 05:34 PM
I sent one ...but had to question their integrity for leaving this ads in place when they know the hard facts and that the ads are misleading...

Warnerade
03-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
hey hey hey, notice I said "ONE" of a few things :devil: is one of them the other hand?

03-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
is one of them the other hand?

No one was supposed to know...:(

exrider12
03-05-2009, 01:31 PM
lmao. Warnerade you always have some funny wise *** comment in every thread:D

quad2xtreme
03-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Pipeless416,

I got a response back on my email...

thank you for your message.

We have requested all media outlets NOT to run the ATV ad. If you can tell me the names and locations of the stations that are playing the ad, I will contact them to cease playing the ad.

Helene Cleveland
USFS Fire Prevention Program Manager
202-205-1488
fax: 202-205-1272
hcleveland@fs.fed.us

Here was my message...not as diplomatic as I usually am:

subject: Time to kill the Smokey the Bear AD!!!
comment: Hello.

As a very responsible ATV rider who visits many National and State forests, I am appalled about your ads on TV and the radio. I can only believe they were purposely designed to portray ATV's in a negative light. Even as this has been brought to the attention of the leadership, these ads continue. This really says a lot about the character of those at the top of your organization. Honestly, you might be a step above a TV evangelist telling those lies. As a taxpayer, I find your ads very disrespectful to the sport and wish to have them removed.

Thanks.

Jon

Pipeless416
03-05-2009, 03:25 PM
awesome! now thats the kind of result i was praying for!

the radio station is WWGO 92.1 classic hits, owned by cromwell radio group.

heres a link. http://www.cromwellradio.com/illinois.html

i know this is still being played on tv too.. i can't remember if its the history channel, discovery channel, or animal planet.. i'll just watch a week of tv straight.. i'll find it then :blah:

03-05-2009, 03:40 PM
I too got a response.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the comments. About six months ago, we alerted all media outlets to cease playing the ATV ad. If you can give me the name and location of the stations that are playing it, I will contact them.

Helene Cleveland
USFS Fire Prevention Program Manager
hcleveland@fs.fed.us

Pipeless416
03-05-2009, 07:33 PM
my brother said this tv station played the advertisement today.

http://www.wciu.com/

wciu out of chicago

would either one of you that have gotten a response mind replying in a few days? that way we can see if anybody else can add to this list. thanks again.

-mike

quad2xtreme
03-05-2009, 08:18 PM
I sent the 1st one to her already.

Pipeless416
05-06-2009, 09:07 AM
don't mean to bring this dead thread back to life, but that radio station is still playing the ad! :mad:

416exfreak
05-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Just seen the AD on the history channel.

Sent this e-mail to them.

Hi,

As an avid ATV and off-road enthusiast, I would like to express my concern for the misleading propaganda being put forth by the USFS.

Saying that most forest fires are caused by starting an ATV or motorcycle, or other vehicle with a small engine is very misleading. Any ATV or dirtbike equipped with a USFS apporved spary arrester (which 99% of exhaust systems come with) poses almost no risk for starting a fire.

I do realize that not every off-roader or ATV/dirtbike rider uses an exhaust system equiped with a spark arrester, but I still do not beleive that the small percentage of those people are causing the amount of damage that your ads are trying to portray to the general population.

Most people do not need much "ammunition" against ATV's as they are already considered highly dangerous, and many irresponsible parents let thier children ride a machine that is to large for thier child.

All I ask is that you would please reconsider your ad, and revise it to spread the FACTS.

I am 100% sure that lightning strikes, hunters, campers, and ciggarette smokers cause more forest fires than ATV riders and off-road enthusiats.

Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Justin Carroll

I think it was a pretty polite, well structured message.

Pipeless416
05-06-2009, 10:33 AM
perfect Justin. thank you.