PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my 89, please help!

1989trx250r
03-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Hello, I am very new to this, but this site is great! So full of information.

I bought an 89 TRX250R about 2 weeks ago and it has given me multiple problems. It started right up, but after a while, and only sometimes, the quad will just shut down, like it has no spark. I will kick it over a few times and it may start right up, or not. One time I put it away and kicked it the next day and it started second kick. The motor has not run long enough to get too hot. This is the first problem, I suspect its electrical. I checked the wiring and it all looks good (no obvious shorts), I have a manual on the way. Also, there is a roost boost wired into my harness.

Second problem: The few times that I did get the thing running, it would run really choppy through first and second gear, then seem to clear out and run great in third. After clearing out, it ran great in first and second for a while, but if putting around (not even for a long time), would load up again and need to be cleared out in third???

It seems as though its running rich, how do I know what to look for as far as carb settings, jets, reeds? The guy I bought it from says it was modded. Also said that the head was shaved for more compression.

The compression seems good as it is hard to kick with the plug in the head.

Sorry for the long-windedness, but I am new to this and in need of some expert advise!!!

Thanks in advance, Jason

86 Quad R
03-04-2009, 06:53 AM
try another coil in regard to it shutting off but only after you've taken the carb off and cleaned it good. pay particular attention to the float needle and seat. also make sure the the float level is adjusted correctly. make a note as to what size the pilot jet is aswell. based on what you describe, chances are that the fuel isnt being shut off by the float or the float level is off but may possibly be a phat pilot. for a better understanding of carbs and tuning referr to the attached link.

hope some of this helps ya. :cool:

Carbs (http://www.duncanracing.com/techfaq/Tech_keihin-carburetion-jetting.phtml)

1989trx250r
03-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks that is very helpful! The article on the carb adjustment is great!

Jason

Honda 250r 001
03-04-2009, 08:51 AM
i had a cr 125 that did this once. it would run great and then it would just loose spark. then it would start up and have a SUPER spark. it was the coil. it had a fluckin car coil on it. lol so i put a brand new honda one on it and it runs like a raped ape.

250Renvy
03-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Unfortunately being a 20year old machine it could have had many owners - many of whom may or may not have taken care of it. This could leave you with a sketchy machine.

250R's are awesome machines but most likely if you want to keep it and stick to it, you'll have to go through all of the following to make sure they are working properly as well as possibly replacements.

Wire harness
Coil
CDI
Reeds
Spark plug
Carb
Leak down test
Compression test

1989trx250r
03-04-2009, 07:17 PM
has anyone tried the super coil from janssen motorsports? They are selling on ebay for $95.00 and was wondering if its worth it if I need a coil anyway.....

Honda 250r 001
03-04-2009, 07:18 PM
get a nology for 50. they are defeneatly the best.

1989trx250r
03-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks, where do I get one from?

wes350x
03-04-2009, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1989trx250r
Second problem: The few times that I did get the thing running, it would run really choppy through first and second gear, then seem to clear out and run great in third. After clearing out, it ran great in first and second for a while, but if putting around (not even for a long time), would load up again and need to be cleared out in third???

I know exactly what you mean. Mine has been doing the same, I changed needle size tha ESR recommended me, thought it helped at first but no go. I have my bike tore down now for a rebuild with a new ESR top and sure hope I can figure this one out. I tried adjusting the needle lean and richer and not really any change.

1989trx250r
03-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Thanks everyone for all of the great info! Looks like I will be doing alot of testing this weekend.....Any other suggestions?

C41Xracer
03-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by 1989trx250r
has anyone tried the super coil from janssen motorsports? They are selling on ebay for $95.00 and was wondering if its worth it if I need a coil anyway.....

i used one on my old R and liked it

woodsracer144
03-05-2009, 06:31 PM
i would also check out that CDI box on that.. i've had 2 that went... i hit it lightly and then it would work fine and then it would cut out and then it would work fine...so i got a different one and its been running strong since...

1989trx250r
03-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions, I really appreciate it. My wire harness was a mess, so I purchased a used one in great condition (thanks corvettez06!) and it seems to have way more plugs on it than the one in my quad. I have the clymer guide for the quad, but the electrical schematic leaves much to be desired (unless there is another that I missed somewhere). Does anyone have a better electrical schematic? Also, the wire harness is not for an 89 because it has a different connection for the stator (2 bullets instead of a plug). It is not a big deal for me to change the connectors on my 89 stator, because the plug is trash anyway (looks like one of the connections was arcing). Is that the only difference in the wire harnesses? Thanks again for all of your help!!!

Jason

1989trx250r
03-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Oh yeah almost forgot, I decided to completely disassemble the quad and rebuild from the ground up. I found a broken motor mount on the frame, so I am taking everything off and having this fixed, along with another crack I found in a factory weld. The only problem I am having taking this apart is getting out the rear swing arm bolt. Is there a trick to getting this out? Letting it soak in penetrating oil overnight to try to free up. It spins but wont come out. I tried a rubber dead blow, but I think I need to get a 1/4 inch drift pin and really bang it out. is that right? Also, Is there anything else that I should check/rebuild while my quad is apart? I am already planning on changing almost every bearing on the frame, and rebuilding the carb. This is my first, so I dont want to miss out on anything. Also,getting the frame stripped and either repainted or powdercoated. WAY more of a project than I intended, but seems fun so far.

Jason

woodsracer144
03-08-2009, 08:39 PM
as far as the pivot bolt not comming out... its most likely stuck in there... and/ or bent... your gonna have to cut it out and then let your swinger sit in a TON of WD-40... or your not hittin on it hard enough....

1989trx250r
03-08-2009, 08:59 PM
geez I hope not. Doesnt seem bent when spinning it. Gonna try hitting it with a 1/4 inch drift pin and a mini-sledge tomorrow. Saturated with WD right now.

Jason

woodsracer144
03-08-2009, 09:01 PM
good luck with it one way or another... they suck!

05LSR250R
03-09-2009, 05:48 AM
YUP! Those bolts can be a real P.I.T.A!!!

Keep soaking it!

Gonna need a big hammer and a big punch!!

1/4 inch aint gonna cut the mustard!

Beat on my stocker for 3 days before she budged!

Once it comes out....buy a bolt from Marc Baldwin!!

1989trx250r
03-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by 05LSR250R
YUP! Those bolts can be a real P.I.T.A!!!

Keep soaking it!

Gonna need a big hammer and a big punch!!

1/4 inch aint gonna cut the mustard!

Beat on my stocker for 3 days before she budged!

Once it comes out....buy a bolt from Marc Baldwin!!

Looks like Im gonna have to cut the stupid bolt out. I tried hitting it with a mini sledge and a one inch diameter brass punch, no luck at all, I think the frame will crack before the bolt comes out!!! Can you send me a link to order the bolt from baldwin? Here is a pic of my progress, or non progress!!! Thanks all, keep the info coming!

1989trx250r
03-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Torn apart....

05LSR250R
03-10-2009, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1989trx250r
Looks like Im gonna have to cut the stupid bolt out. I tried hitting it with a mini sledge and a one inch diameter brass punch, no luck at all, I think the frame will crack before the bolt comes out!!! Can you send me a link to order the bolt from baldwin? Here is a pic of my progress, or non progress!!! Thanks all, keep the info coming! [/QUOTE
]
www.baldwinmotorsports.com

1989trx250r
03-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks, saved in my favorites!