PDA

View Full Version : What to buy ????

maska
03-03-2009, 08:00 PM
It's the good old "what should I buy"?

Just some quick background: I am a recovering 2 stroke guy who just got sick of the maintenance, kick start, & clutch work in the woods. So I bought a Raptor 660 stock. I actually really liked it.

I was going to start doing mods and got brainwashed by all the talk of the Raptor 700 and YFZ's. So off went the 660.

I do mostly aggressive trail riding but don’t want to bog when we get to slower areas. I am an athletic 240lbs, not a lazy fatty who needs a utility machine.

My concerns on The YFZ are having to keep the rpm's constantly high and just getting annoyed in the woods. I am also interested in some realistic feedback on the maintenance schedule. I just hear so many contrasting opinions from constant valve adjustments and oil changes to "Just don’t be an idiot and change the oil every month and adjust valves and change air filter every season.

Raptor, my only real big gripe is a cliché one but the suspension just sucks on my 660 and it is a bit high. My understanding is that my opinion is shared with many and this was severely rectified with the 700. As far as power goes, I was ok with the stock 660 but I know there is a lot more out there with a exhaust etc.... One more thing, Is this EFI really self adjusting or just great marketing for the gas & go rider.

Sorry for the ramble but I see a lot of "What should I buy threads" with out ample information for you guys to give an accurate answer to suite the riders size and riding style.

04yfz450nj
03-04-2009, 09:31 PM
hey man I had my yfz since new changed the oil an adjusted the valves twice I bought it in 04 an never had a single problem with the engine at all an I also ran it out of oil once an it still havent had a problem the oil filter bolt fell out a the bike had alot of hours on it I miss it I sold it last may in the trails I think it was an awesome quad I would get one or the 450r

scuzz
03-04-2009, 10:11 PM
The 700r's are one of the best quads Yamaha ever made. The 660's...notsomuch. With the 700r you will need a programmer after bolt ons. The stock computer adjusts for the air temp and elevation at best. Programmer would be the 1st thing I would get since the 700r stock comes lean.

If you mx more than trail or dune consider one of the 450's either yamaha or honda. (my opinion) If you trail and dune more than anything you might want to get a 700 because of the power and torque. Once you go 700, you won't want to go back.