PDA

View Full Version : Good old "What do I buy"

maska
03-03-2009, 07:59 PM
It's the good old "what should I buy"?

Just some quick background: I am a recovering 2 stroke guy who just got sick of the maintenance, kick start, & clutch work in the woods. So I bought a Raptor 660 stock. I actually really liked it.

I was going to start doing mods and got brainwashed by all the talk of the Raptor 700 and YFZ's. So off went the 660.

I do mostly aggressive trail riding but don’t want to bog when we get to slower areas. I am an athletic 240lbs, not a lazy fatty who needs a utility machine.

My concerns on The YFZ are having to keep the rpm's constantly high and just getting annoyed in the woods. I am also interested in some realistic feedback on the maintenance schedule. I just hear so many contrasting opinions from constant valve adjustments and oil changes to "Just don’t be an idiot and change the oil every month and adjust valves and change air filter every season.

Raptor, my only real big gripe is a cliché one but the suspension just sucks on my 660 and it is a bit high. My understanding is that my opinion is shared with many and this was severely rectified with the 700. As far as power goes, I was ok with the stock 660 but I know there is a lot more out there with a exhaust etc.... One more thing, Is this EFI really self adjusting or just great marketing for the gas & go rider.

Sorry for the ramble but I see a lot of "What should I buy threads" with out ample information for you guys to give an accurate answer to suite the riders size and riding style.

yfzrider310
03-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I think you will end up hating the yfz for what you ride and how big you are. The 700 is the quad for you because it is big, comfortable, has reverse, and still handles good on top of it. Now if you were to race motocross I would say the yfz all the way but for any other forms of riding the 700 is the way to go. It has fuel injection unless you want the 09 yfzr and its got loads of power. The raptors can be raced motocross. They are good jumpers, trust me ive hit some pretty big jumps with my friends raptor. Its up to you. The yfz is uncomfortable for me and I am 6'0 and 155lbs. I don't its up to you but I think the raptor 700 is the better choice. That is my complete unbias opinion because I love my yfz a lot.:macho

WesDS450X
03-03-2009, 10:32 PM
700r's might be the right choice for you, or you could just build up your 660! but the yfz's dont have to be in constent high rpms there not 2strokes they make power everywhere threw out the rpms!

greenblood01
03-03-2009, 11:09 PM
I would go with the Raptor 700. The fuel injection rather impressive. If you put a pipe on it however, you do have to get an EFI controller to adjust for the extra air flow. The best thing is you don't have to worry about the dual carb setup blowing the carbs out of the boots, or the super high reverse gear. Plus the 700R has a 4 valve head to help with low end grunt.

ccrider24
03-04-2009, 09:03 PM
If I were you, i would seriously entertain a KTM 525xc, they have a great deal on them right now, you get a recers pack that includes nerfs , bumper, extra set of plastic, ohlins steering damper, maintainance items such as oil and filters, cleaners, about a$ 1500+ value, for $0 get a leftover 08' for about $7500 and still get all the goodies, I just purchased a YFZ450R and sold off my KTM 525xc, because I didn't like the powerband of the KTM,and thought I was done with Quads (wrong) it's kind of like a Raptor powerband , loves to be short shifted, not revved out, has reverse(nice), valves are Cake to adjust, and don't need to be done as often, it's a bulletproof motor, has great suspension, great ergos and adjustability for a larger person, I just prefer to rev out my bikes, bang them off the chip, and keep the wheels spinning, just suits my riding style better I guess, the KTM is an absolute Hoss down low in the powerband, there were mideast Cross country races that Raced that are a little tighter than GNCC's that I ran 95% of the course in 2 gears!!!

Oh yeah, and it will absolutely 100% SMOKE a raptor 700, and that is in bone stock trim, I ran the steele creek GNCC race last year on one, and it made me look like a hero!! won sportsman A/B by over 4 minutes, and finished 10th overall on a very muddy track that favored utes.

Where you from, Upstate NY????
I went to school with someone named Maska, Eric.

700bRad
03-04-2009, 10:10 PM
I would go with the big bore dinosaur if I was you. It would probably fit a man of your size better then a YFZ. The Raptor 700r has awesome torque that can lug you through the trails with ease. I could take off in low rpm's in 4th gear and the 700 would pull me right through. The only thing I didnt like was the way it felt in the air. And it was alittle heavy for my taste.

maska
03-05-2009, 12:24 AM
I'll take a peak at the KTM's as well. Just when I think I have it narrowed down to 2. I.m in fishkill, MASKA is just a nick name

maska
03-05-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm thinking 700 all day. And thanks especially to the honest YFZ guys who take the time to read my post and reccoment what you think will work for me and not you. Very cool!!

400grl
03-05-2009, 09:11 AM
I also feel the 700 would be great for you - I just tested an 09 SE 700, and with the new fully adjustable shocks and everything else, that's an amazing quad!!! It will be everything you liked about your old 660, without everything you disliked! :)