PDA

View Full Version : air filter question

felipecj
03-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Rookie question here.....

I've had my '05 450r for only a few months now and i'm just starting to do a few things to it. It came with a DG exhaust, not the full one, and everything else was stock. I want to put a K&N on it, but i want to avoid swapping out the jets. Is this do-able?

Beaudacious
03-03-2009, 08:23 PM
stock filter outflows K&N by 115 CFM

felipecj
03-04-2009, 05:30 AM
So you're saying it's best to stick with the stock filter?

hendershot106
03-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by felipecj
So you're saying it's best to stick with the stock filter?

no. put a good filter on it and rejet. these things are corked up from factory.

BlackTrx440ex
03-04-2009, 11:57 AM
get a uni i think there the best....

scuzz
03-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Check out my air filter thread:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=377950

03-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Beaudacious

how is that possible?

d3ktrix
03-04-2009, 03:29 PM

lol where do you get these crazy stats?

I'm don't like K&N's and would never run one on my bike but those stats don't seem possible.
And I'd like to know how u came up with or found such a precise number.

A stock foam filter with dual layer metal cage that flows better then gauze/mesh filter that you can practically see through?

j-dawgs 450r
03-04-2009, 03:34 PM

troll ROFL :D :D

Stock foam filter is restrictive as hell. even any foam filter. where did u pull "stock filter outflows K&N by 115 CFM" this from? out your *** im guessing

NEWB :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :o oh same goes for giving advice about using a 130 Main jet with no lid and a full pipe. you obviously want his bike to run like ****t and LEAN as hell :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

03-04-2009, 03:46 PM
K&N as far as I know make the best flowing filters. Aftermarket foam arent too bad because they just use a few cage supports rather than a whole entire screen like stock.

felipecj
03-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies posted on here today, definitely a lot more advice than i've found searching around the last few days.

That link from scuzz is VERY helpful. That first reply from Beaudacious made no sense. I may be new to quads, but i've worked on trucks for a long time, so i do have some common sense.

Beaudacious
03-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Its called my in house Super Flow flow bench that i use when porting all my customers' race heads i dont appreciate being bad mouthed by people who only take wat a magazine ad says to be true and snicker at factual information. anybody on here can bring their 450cc race quads up here and i will run all over any of them out of the hole midrange and topend

JJs450r
03-04-2009, 07:10 PM
thats kinda bold to say your quad faster then everyone elses,

on a side note ill have to agree id much rather run a stock filter over any other, i think it flows just as good as the rest of them, plus you get extra protection, i ran a k and n for half a season and had to replace my intake valves because the kandn allowed to much trash in id stick with the stock your not gonna really notice anything, if you have to have an aftermarket brand id say uni

Beaudacious
03-04-2009, 07:13 PM
well if it is 450 cc then i very confident wth mine

d3ktrix
03-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Its called my in house Super Flow flow bench that i use when porting all my customers' race heads i dont appreciate being bad mouthed by people who only take wat a magazine ad says to be true and snicker at factual information. anybody on here can bring their 450cc race quads up here and i will run all over any of them out of the hole midrange and topend

Have to see where we are coming from though. Just coming on here making claims that go against the main stream with out posting any facts.

Sure K&N's are always praised in mags, but forum members and shops have also done their own dyno comparisons that go against what you say. It's always kinda been that most people agree a K&N style flows a tad better then a foam but has problems with fine dust getting through.

And of course is matters if your still running the cage with the stock filter, which size K&N you are using and all.

Just saying "This is better then this" isn't going to have any positive results.
Post some graphs with it.

You've made some other good posts through out the forum, just this one seemed off the wall lol.

j-dawgs 450r
03-07-2009, 12:05 AM

I don't read magazine as they are full of **** mainly FMF and Trinity Racing, who pay mags to advertise their inferior companies.

I go by personal experience and talking to some the big name engine builders like DASA, RAGE, Racers Edge etc...

Never have I heard of a stock filter out flowing a k&n gauze filter, let a lone a stock filter with the super restrictive cage. If you Beaudacious are gonna claim the stock outflows a k&n by 115 CFM please post proof. you are the only person I HAVE EVER read to claim that a stock foam outflows a superior and well known filter for its high flow (k&n)

:macho

veenser2000
03-07-2009, 10:17 AM

Hey beau do you race cmrc in ontario? I'm there in all the southern ontario races maybe we could meet up. Pretty sure you havent been beating roostar450 out of the gate he is consistently on top so dont think your even the fastest in ontario till you have raced the fastest!

03-07-2009, 11:13 AM
the guy must have compared the stock filter to a K&N breather hose filter lol I can do my own testing with a vacuum cleaner and notice the difference in flow. If you arent running an outerwear over your K&N you are basically asking for trouble.

d3ktrix
03-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
I can do my own testing with a vacuum cleaner and notice the difference in flow.

Leaf blower with the filter on the end, blowing at a pinwheel.

kawabunga
03-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
If you arent running an outerwear over your K&N you are basically asking for trouble.

Originally posted by JJs450r
i ran a k and n for half a season and had to replace my intake valves because the kandn allowed to much trash in

I find comments like these suprising. I've ran K&N on my 450 since I've owned it. I bought it over 2 years ago and the owner before me ran K&N. The quad is an '04 and was just rebuilt, for the first time, last summer. The valves were fine and the cylinder was in awesome shape. No signs of sand or dirt finding its way in at all. I don't know if I'm cleaning more often or what's going on, but I've got nothing bad to say about K&N. I've got a few other friends that run them also, and they're happy with them as well.