PDA

View Full Version : quick question??

cant400exbeatit
03-03-2009, 06:43 PM
i just bought a used 2008 450r. took it for a ride, and when i brought it back into the garage i noticed oil was leaking from the cylinder head cover and the cylinder head. tore it apart thinking maybe one of the bolts that hold the cylinder head cover on was loose and discovered that the bolt towards the back of the quad was stripped. what would be the best way to fix this?? i really don't want to tap it. does this bolt thread into the camshaft holder, and if so, do u have to tear out the valves and everything to replace it?? thanks.

Beaudacious
03-03-2009, 07:10 PM
nope just go to your autoparts store and buy a TimeSert Kit made by Wurth you can get any size you want easy to use but i would recommend taking the cam holder off to do this job

cant400exbeatit
03-03-2009, 07:36 PM
is this method similar to tapping it?? do u have to mess with the valve springs or rocker arms to get the cam holder off? the reason i am asking b/c if there is alot of work involved, i'm goin to take it to the dealership b/c it is under warranty. but i'd rather do the work myself if it is a pretty easy fix.

also...would this stripped bolt cause oil to leak between the cylinder head cover and cylinder head?? thanks.

Beaudacious
03-03-2009, 07:44 PM
the only thing you have to take off is the cam sprocket then the bolts that hold the cam holder on i would get a gasket kit to change all the seals in the vavle cover

HondaRaceReady
03-03-2009, 08:53 PM
All the valve cover bolts get torqued to 7 ft lbs in case you dont have a service manual. Dont crank down on the bolts like the other guy did if you dont have a torque wrench.

Balaz_73*00
03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Yes, a loose or stripped out head bolt can cause a leak between the head and the cover...happend to me. Ending up getting a whole new head, but tap it or do what that other guy said and as long as its tight you should be good to go

cant400exbeatit
03-04-2009, 07:52 PM
could u explain to me how the TimeSert Kit works, i'm not sure i have ever used one. also, if i would tap it, can i go deeper or do i have to go wider?? thanks.

Beaudacious
03-04-2009, 08:20 PM
i think and this is just my opinion that if you where t just tap the hole deeper you would run into problems
A time sert is a kit that drills the hole out, cuts a countersunk groove in the top of the hole, then you tap it out with new threads right from the top, then install an insert that has outside threads and inside threads. yu also will want to locktite it in with the red stuff. they are really slick ive used them for stripped exhaust manifold bolt hole any bolt hole on an engine they work great