PDA

View Full Version : Illinois -bill3914- Youth Under Attack

team37
03-03-2009, 10:56 AM
ILLINOIS House bill 3914 ....DEMOCRAT- Mary Flowers has introdused a bill that prohibates the use of atv's and offroad motocycles by anyone under the age of 16...OFFROAD RACERS AND RIDERS this will spread to other states.

mini racer #39
03-03-2009, 11:22 AM
amen brother... this sounds like what michigan did a couple years ago.

Hanksdad
03-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Hey you know what?, I'm pissed too. I don't want anyone telling my boy he can't do what he loves. Riding is a family activity. I'm a Democrat from Springfield IL. Upon reading your post I was livid. No, not about your republican retterick or all your mispellings, but about the fact that someone from my own state was attempting to stop youth atv riding. Instantly I googled her name and brought up her bio with her committees and her bills. I was going to give her a mindfull both over the phone, her number is listed on the website, and in person if I could get an opportunity. But, there is a problem, I could not locate anything on this bill 3914. I did find an IL bill 3914 from Representative Kenner from Jan 22 2000. It was for an ammendment to the school code. Not only could I find nothing with this code, I couldn't find anything else from her on atv or other youth vehicle restriction bills in IL. I will fight for riders rights by doing anything I can, but I need to know where you got the facts from so I can verify and not make a fool of myself. Illinois is one of the few states you can still legally ride a motorcycle without a helmet, not to mention my local district 17 track(South Fork Dirt Riders) is funded by the state. I know she has an office here in Springfield, if you can get me the right verification of information I will take action anyway I can. Maybe call her and ask her if her goal is take away children's rights. Ask her if she would rather see children running the streets or attending family activities like riding. Above all, I would like to know if it is true, why she thinks it would be good. The last bill to enforce helmets on riders of atv's and motorcycles under 18 got tabled. I think that says something about the strength of IL riders' and their associations such as IMDA, ABATE, and the AMA. My question is did Michigan pass a similar law? How did that work? Is there no mini riding in MI?

mini racer #39
03-03-2009, 03:50 PM
I know in Michigan my son could only race his 70 and 90 CVT's at a National Event. Until this year. Amy Ritchie (Red Bud) can fill you in on all the details, for the laws in Michigan and any changes that have been made. As for Ill. just answering team 37.
Thanks Jerry Havert

team37
03-03-2009, 04:38 PM
AMA district 17 main page has links to all of it . And it is buried in that school bill .Nice way to hide it just more good ol chi-town politics.:D

glntamu90
03-03-2009, 08:09 PM
...it was easy to find...

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the School Code to provide that school districts must provide instruction in relation to the laws regarding the operation of all-terrain vehicles and off-highway motorcycles in grades kindergarten through 12 and may include the instruction in social studies, American government, driver education, or other appropriate courses of study. Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code to prohibit any use of all-terrain vehicles or off-highway vehicles on roads. Provides that the Secretary of State may suspend a person's driver's license for 6 months for a violation of provisions relating to the illegal use of all-terrain vehicles and off-highway motorcycles on streets and riding an all-terrain vehicle or off-highway motorcycle as a passenger. Provides that it is illegal to operate an all-terrain vehicle or off-highway motorcycle if the operator is under the age of 16, does not have a valid driver's license, or is not wearing a properly fitted helmet secured to the person's head. Provides that a person must demonstrate knowledge of all-terrain vehicle and off-highway motorcycle laws on the written examination for a driver's license, and provides that information relating to all-terrain vehicle and off-highway motorcycle laws must be contained in publications of the "Rules of the Road" by the Secretary of State and "Laws for Youth" by the Legislative Research Unit.

Can be tracked here:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=3914&GAID=10&GA=96&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=46740&SessionID=76

Logan #34's Dad
03-03-2009, 08:35 PM
I sure hope the Ill. organizations jump all over this. Because we all know that once the ball starts bouncing it will eventually bounce to your state. WHY CAN'T THESE POLITICIANS LEAVE THINGS ALONE AND FIX OUR CURRENT ISSUES?!

airmobile101
03-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Tom Self sticks up for Missouri and all riders!:D

http://www.tomself.com/

team37
03-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Hanksdad, one man's rhetoric is another man's reality. The Ds are at war with the atv community, Have been since the mid 80's. If you get ama's news letters in the government relations section the letter D or R after the lawmakers name represents party affiliation. The lack of R's in this type of anti-atv legislation may have led you to believe seeing all the D's stood for dumb@ss. Well we both are probably correct. ......See ya at Southfork!

Ryko racing
03-04-2009, 07:03 AM
correct in michigan the ama dist 14 stopped all kids atv racing in 2005 due to fears of lawsuits and govt backlash. only last spring did our state change the law. Amy Ritchie and her group along with the promoters and parents made this happen but it killed the racing in Michigan and our numbers still dwindle what used to be.

I think this is an outrage that our so called ELECTED officials can bury things like this in a school bill..... Folks we have not even seen the beginning of it with our current crop of misfits from this last election.

ALL RIDERS AND PARENTS SHOULD CONTACT EVERY CONGRESSMAN UNTIL THIS IS TAKEN OFF OF THE BOOKS.

Thank goodness that the atva and ama have our backs. All riders should join because there is strength in numbers....

marsrace2
03-04-2009, 09:28 AM
slightly off subject but this line of one of the posts got me.

The last bill to enforce helmets on riders of atv's and motorcycles under 18 got tabled. I think that says something about the strength of IL riders' and their associations such as IMDA, ABATE, and the AMA. My question is did Michigan pass a similar law? How did that work? Is there no mini riding in MI?

My question is why wouldnt any responsible Motorcycle/ATV association promote Helmet use, especially for those under 18?

tireman43
03-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Ryko racing
I think this is an outrage that our so called ELECTED officials can bury things like this in a school bill..... Folks we have not even seen the beginning of it with our current crop of misfits from this last election.

ALL RIDERS AND PARENTS SHOULD CONTACT EVERY CONGRESSMAN UNTIL THIS IS TAKEN OFF OF THE BOOKS.

Thank goodness that the atva and ama have our backs. All riders should join because there is strength in numbers....

Correct!!!

I have been saying since the lead B.S that we have MUCH bigger problems going on right now then taking this sport away from our kids.

mac75
03-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by team37
Hanksdad, one man's rhetoric is another man's reality. The Ds are at war with the atv community, Have been since the mid 80's. If you get ama's news letters in the government relations section the letter D or R after the lawmakers name represents party affiliation. The lack of R's in this type of anti-atv legislation may have led you to believe seeing all the D's stood for dumb@ss. Well we both are probably correct. ......See ya at Southfork!

You check your facts about the"D's".... IF you took the trip to springfield that day you would have understood that it was not about that... This was voted down 17-3.... Many D's voted this down and if you could have seen the two people that voted for this bill You would have realized they voted yes, but as that it needed to be looked into further, by one lawmaker who was on his cell phone the whole time and by another you prob never has seen a quad before...lol

mac75
03-16-2009, 07:24 PM

You check your facts about the"D's".... IF you took the trip to springfield that day you would have understood that it was not about that... This was voted down 17-3.... Many D's voted this down and if you could have seen the two people that voted for this You would have realized they voted yes but as only it needed to be looked into by one lawmaker who was on his cell phone the whole time and by another you prob never seen a quad before...lol

mac75
03-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Come on there MAC75 now that you sold your 4-wheeler and are racing a 2-wheeler you think you got all the answers. Read the statement i was talking about the legislators that craft the anti-atv bills and introduse them to congress ,Not who votes on them. And if Mary Flowers DEMOCRAT from chicago the person that hid the anti-atv law in that school bill ,Is not really a DEMOCRAT like she claims she is ,I will sell Joeys 4-wheelers buy him a 2-wheeler and come race in the mud with you guys.:D

You must have really good weed in wisc... cause you dont know what I have done...I am not racing this year but anyone who knows me knows that my son is .... I will not back up Mary Flowers but the anti dem stuff gets old... I f the y all where so anti atv this would have passed... I just went off of what you posted.... Dont think you know a thing about me... You must be reading other post on other forums with my "FRIENDS" who are having fun...Because I have never said anything on this forum about bikes.. If your reading under midwest atvers hs section... Those are my friends and competitors...WE like to have fun... See we race .... Do YOU,,,,

That is all!!!

mac75
03-18-2009, 03:05 PM
We pride ourself on having fun... I never thought you where a "deleted by mac 75"

I thought about that for alittle while... Mr Burba I came on here too make a simple statement that there is many Many Democrats not dumbass that support atv's and motorcycle... Thats my only point, we need to work with these people ...Not attack them because of there affiliation..
You made a comment about me knowing it all... I didnt come here to attack you.. You went after me and I let you... Wether your kid beat mine or you spend twice what I do or could afford ... Doesnt matter... I am active in my district,,, expecially in the atv"s and youth.. Ask a district 17 hs or motorcross director.... I dont know it all...Never said that either... But I commentented on what I heard and saw in Springfield...

The comment about you racing got you fired up, im glad. because just like what I am racing has nothing to do with a youth atv and motorcycle ban what you have done doesnt either..

You can attack my intelligence, but when you do so what does it say about yours... Everyone is tougher online I know... it just doesnt belong here

forgiven
03-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Team37 if you were down there like Mac75 and myself you would know there were a lot of dems against this. I talked to one of the 3 that did vote yes and he assured me if it was close that he would have voted differently. Some can vote yes for the bill and know it is not going to pass but if they had some calls they can make those people happy too (aka politician)

At some point you have to realize we are ALL in this together. What is tried in one state will be tried in all. We need to politely build bridges with these representatives and educate them in an intelligent way so as to gain more allies.

The more people from the Offroad community that says F the Dems or the Repubs is not helping the cause. For the quad guys that say F the bike guys and vice versa...you are not helping the cause. I am just not sure the offroad community is smart enough to survive long term for just these reasons. Our individuality which makes us such a unique group will most likely be our undoing.

You may have been an exceptional racer and your son may be as well but that has little bearing when we all end up losing the land and ability to ride because we aren't saavy enough to see the real enemies and who are allies need to be.

Perhaps you are one of those Wisconsin boys that believe they can never take my guns or enforce me from ridin the land. You may be right for a time but eventually they win unless we get smart work together across the country and make our voices heard. The process will work and despite all the screw ups on our end it was still very effective.

I encourage all who have read this far. Become part of the solution. Establish logical and reasonable communications with your legislators. Try to seek understanding of their point of view. Only then you will be able to communicate with them instead of just speaking your peace then hanging up only for them to laugh at us and continue on their merry way. Just because they don't agree with you initially don't lay the F-bombs upon them. We need to show them we are not a bunch of hillbillies (although we honestly may be hillbillies) and we are capable of organizing. In my opinion most politicians are not real fighters, and will drop the fights so they don't look bad therefore losing re-elections if it looks tough. They are politicians not activists (who is the people we should be fearing) but that is a post for another day.

Now go forth and orginize...our kids depend on us.

mac75
03-18-2009, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by forgiven
Team37 if you were down there like Mac75 and myself you would know there were a lot of dems against this. I talked to one of the 3 that did vote yes and he assured me if it was close that he would have voted differently. Some can vote yes for the bill and know it is not going to pass but if they had some calls they can make those people happy too (aka politician)

At some point you have to realize we are ALL in this together. What is tried in one state will be tried in all. We need to politely build bridges with these representatives and educate them in an intelligent way so as to gain more allies.

The more people from the Offroad community that says F the Dems or the Repubs is not helping the cause. For the quad guys that say F the bike guys and vice versa...you are not helping the cause. I am just not sure the offroad community is smart enough to survive long term for just these reasons. Our individuality which makes us such a unique group will most likely be our undoing.

You may have been an exceptional racer and your son may be as well but that has little bearing when we all end up losing the land and ability to ride because we aren't saavy enough to see the real enemies and who are allies need to be.

Perhaps you are one of those Wisconsin boys that believe they can never take my guns or enforce me from ridin the land. You may be right for a time but eventually they win unless we get smart work together across the country and make our voices heard. The process will work and despite all the screw ups on our end it was still very effective.

I encourage all who have read this far. Become part of the solution. Establish logical and reasonable communications with your legislators. Try to seek understanding of their point of view. Only then you will be able to communicate with them instead of just speaking your peace then hanging up only for them to laugh at us and continue on their merry way. Just because they don't agree with you initially don't lay the F-bombs upon them. We need to show them we are not a bunch of hillbillies (although we honestly may be hillbillies) and we are capable of organizing. In my opinion most politicians are not real fighters, and will drop the fights so they don't look bad therefore losing re-elections if it looks tough. They are politicians not activists (who is the people we should be fearing) but that is a post for another day.

Now go forth and orginize...our kids depend on us. [/QUOTE

I think that Forgiven put it better

Hanksdad
03-19-2009, 03:31 PM
In response to marsrace's comment, everyone promotes the use of helmets. But, promoting and forcing, are two entirely different subjects. I would never let my boy ride without a helmet. I personally don't ride my quad or dirtbike without a helmet. But, I still believe it is your individual right to decide when you go down the road whether or not you want a helmet on. It might be a foolish choice not to wear one, but it is your right. If you aren't bothering, or endangering anyone but yourself, why make it a law? I think we have enough laws. I don't need the government to hold my hand. Less laws the better.

On another note, I have two Harley's a GSXR a quad and a dirtbike. My point is this; Be a rider not an *******. I've been around narrow minded people in all of these groups. Harley riders that can't stand the rockets. Dirtbike riders who think quads are "easier" or "slower", and vice versa. Stop hating, if it rips I'm in. I can't understand how if you don't ride them all how you can really judge? I would rather be stuck in an eleveator with someone who rode something as to someone who didn't.

Okay I'm done. Hopefully, if any more legislature comes up, we can put our political and pleasure differences aside and prevent further attempts or attacks on our rights.

St. Louis SX this weekend. Hope to see the Monster Kawi #2 do something this week!!

team37
03-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Dang you guys are really sensitive, no sense of humor. Is there not a chukle-hut down that way you can all hook up at Saturday night go have a couple of coctails and unwind? Or is that the night you watch reruns of obama speeches? (Now calm down - that was a joke). Instead of making friends on the internet you should be informing the atv community of stuff like - Bobby Rush democrat out of Illinois is the head architect behind the consumer product safety act of 2008 (or what most people refer to as hr 4040 or the LEAD LAW OHV BAN) that has a strangle hold on youth off-roading. What Bobby Rush out of Illinois did was hide the atv stuff at the very tail end of a baby toy lead bill, section 42 under misc.provisions and conforming amendments right after cribs - walkers - pacfiers and such. ......

Hanksdad - I know what you mean - I like riding dirtbikes to.

forgiven
03-19-2009, 09:34 PM
From my understanding they are in the works to revise it right now. Many have gone on record as saying they didn't understand the total impact of what they did till afterwards. You keep laughing and posting. You probably believe that you are getting one up but most would view your posts differently.