PDA

View Full Version : Rev limiter on 500 Outlaw

2old2race
03-03-2009, 10:43 AM
It seems the 500 is extremely limited in both it's gearing and rev limiter.
Changing the gearing ratios is probably more involved than I need to get. But what is recommended in getting a new electronic brain?

Thanks.
Eric

Outlaw6;=-
03-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Check on ebay, there are a few dif types or cdi boxes but most people say the dyna fs is the 1 to buy.Stay away from procom.

2old2race
03-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks!
Yes, I have seen different types but have been leary on what brand was good to go with.
What sort of range would be good to go with? i.e. how high can these engines safely rev?

It just seems with the close gearing and low rev limit I am shifting gears so damn quickly as opposed to everyone else.

OutlawBill
03-03-2009, 01:23 PM
stay away from Prcom some time they work some time they destroy your engine. Vortex and Dayna are very good but cost alot.

Flynbryan19
03-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Changing gearing is easy and inexpensive. I have never found a use for higher rev limiter CDI's. I had the same motor in my predator and had no problems after I dropped a tooth on my countershaft sprocket. I could then pull a taller gear which kept me from taching out the motor all the time.

2old2race
03-03-2009, 02:20 PM
I changed from a 14(OE) to 13 tooth sprocket and it was horrible.
Hell, I was in fifth gear in less than 10 seconds, it seemed. lol I'm back to a 14. I hate to go too high and lose bottom end power.

My Outlaw does seem to tach out a lot more quickly than my 400ex did though. ????

Plus, doesn't anyone else notice it seems like 1-4 gears all feel the same. There is no big jump in ratio. Often times I feel like I missed a shift because there is no real difference as in my EX.

Thanks!

Outlaw6;=-
03-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Speaking of the front sprocket..what is the ratio for 1 tooth on the front sprocket compared to 1 tooth from the rear sprocket?

Flynbryan19
03-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by 2old2race
I changed from a 14(OE) to 13 tooth sprocket and it was horrible.
Hell, I was in fifth gear in less than 10 seconds, it seemed. lol I'm back to a 14. I hate to go too high and lose bottom end power.

My Outlaw does seem to tach out a lot more quickly than my 400ex did though. ????

Plus, doesn't anyone else notice it seems like 1-4 gears all feel the same. There is no big jump in ratio. Often times I feel like I missed a shift because there is no real difference as in my EX.

Thanks!

Well then, get that thing off those fire roads/logging trails your riding and ride some REAL trails. :D In the 17yrs I've been riding I can probably count on one hand how many times I've been in 5th gear wide open.

Its give and take. Even with a higher rev limiter your only gaining a total of 1k rpms and while your doing that your not making anymore power, your just extending the time frame it takes to bump the limiter. Then to top it off your gradually causing damage to your valve train reving it past the point the motor was designed to run.

2old2race
03-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Then to top it off your gradually causing damage to your valve train reving it past the point the motor was designed to run.
Thanks. That is actually the answer I was looking for- 'Is there much to be gained?'
Yes, don't get me wrong, for tight trail riding, it is great. When riding through heavily wooded trails, the 500 is awesome! My friend has to shift constantly on his EX to keep up. I am in 3rd gear a lot of the time letting the low end push me through a lot of the tough stuff.

Where I notice it, is open field riding. It just seems that even with an aftermarket muffler it is really hard to tell if a shift went through or not. The ratios seem extremely close.

Guess I'll leave it as is. :D

demon rider
03-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Can't say ive ever had that problem. If you rev it high enough to shift to start with then you should have no trouble identifying the shift. Also keep in mind your not driving a 5 ton so its not going to drop super drastically.

2old2race
03-05-2009, 06:31 AM
What quads have you guys ridden before?
The ratios were a lot more spread out on my previous EX. My cousins 450R also has a wider band.

I am definitely winding out the gears. So much, I have to be careful not to hit the limiter. lol

demon rider
03-05-2009, 09:06 AM
I have rode hondas, yamahas and suziki and of course my own outlaw. (06). On my bike there is a noticeable shifts between 1st to 4th but when i pop her into 5th gear it is more subtle. You really got to have her high in 4th to notice the change in sound but when she gets going in 5th you will have no trouble knowing she is in 5th.

2old2race
03-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Wow. Odd.
No insult intended, just curious.

Odd how different my Outlaw is from others.
Gear ratios seem extremely close on mine and overall speed is just so-so.

My friends 2001 400Ex keeps up fine with my 500.

But anyway, for woods riding- this thing is sweet.

holeshotoutlaw5
06-27-2009, 10:45 PM
anybody out there riden in trevorton pa. coal hills. if so tell me about your ride there! i hear people leave their in lifeflight helicopters! 6 last year. never made it back home! my prayers are with them and they'er families! check ( you-tube) trevorton coal hill movie! these guy's are awsome! doo-it ,doo-it

2old2race
06-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Yes, a bunch of us ride there.
Its not THAT big of a deal.

Hell, someone can hit a tree in my backyard and require lifeline to take them to the hospital. lol

powertechn2
06-28-2009, 09:52 AM
is the clutch possibly slipping?

i have had clutches slip only under power, when i wasted the first one in my ex, it would drive find unless you powershifted @ like 8-9k rpm where its making the power, it sounded like a 125 lol whee wheee wheeeee wheeeee wheeeeeeeeeeeee hahaha it was hilarious, but sucked cause i was on a ride when it got really bad.

katch26
06-30-2009, 09:50 AM
this is old but Im not sure if you ever got the answer you were looking for. The outlaw runs the close ratio tranny similiar to the troy lee edition (05+). If youre trying to stretch the legs so to speak youre going to need to go larger on the countersprocket or smaller on the rear. The larger front will make more of a difference but could be too much. It roughly 1to3 ratio. One tooth in the front being equivalent of 3 in the back so you could split the difference with -1 or 2 in the back if the 15 ends up being too tall.