PDA

View Full Version : KFX450 feels "twitchy" in the dunes

d33pt
03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Took it out to Glamis over the weekends. First time out at the dunes. I had paddles and razors on the front. This is only my second time out on the bike. First time was on hardpack and it felt fine to me.

On the sand though, the steering feels what i would describe as twitchy. When i'm going at a moderate pace, i have to make micro corrections all the time to stay on track. Got a little hairy once in a while during sharp dune transitions. I'm not sure if it's because of the razors wanting to track in the grooves in the sand. Only my 2nd time out with the razors too, but I don't remember my z400 tracking like that.

The only thing I can think of is camber or toe adjustments. Does anyone know how I can check if it's within spec and how to adjust it?

Sprks450r04
03-04-2009, 03:06 PM
kawi 450's are death traps without stabilizers. i rode my bike 1 time on an mx track with no stabilizer and i was amazed at the difference. any sort of stabilizer will eliminate that "twitchy" feeling

MtnEX
03-04-2009, 09:38 PM
It's probably just the toe.

Get on and set the bars dead ahead.
Then measure the center/center distance of the tread in front.
Do the same on the back side of the tires.

Of course you'll want to take this measurement level with the hub.

See what the difference is, then check it on each side with a straight edge.

You'll probably notice something considerable by then, if not, have a buddy repeat while you sit on the quad.

It's either toe, or you're riding too far back in the saddle for the conditions.