PDA

View Full Version : 400ex oil problem?

bubbrubb25
03-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Alright so I figured I would check the oil today before I went riding and pulled the dipstick out and it barely showed up on the stick even though I put alot in it a not to long ago, but I read on another site in the 400ex's the oil settles and you have to start them to get the oil to pump and then check the oil.

Ok now the PROBLEM

I dont know to much about quads the way it is,

So I went and bought 10w-40 oil for it put it in and it wouldnt idle? So I rode it and it was riding like crap and when I went into 2nd and when I would slow down it would shut off? The quad doesnt want to stay running and only starts with the choke even when warm and when I take the choke off it shuts off.

Could it be moisture in my gas? Water in my exhaust? Something with the oil? All 3 are possiblities.

Someone please help me out.

bubbrubb25
03-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Now that I think about it, it could only be the oil because before I put the oil in it was running and idleing fine. Any help? My cousin used yamaha atv 10w-40 for oil and I had that in mine and never had the problem and now I got this oil and its bogging out, btw the oil was from the dollar store but would that matter?

Choppers
03-02-2009, 11:15 PM
i wouldn't think so for that little of time. i think its to much oil or a carb problem.

bubbrubb25
03-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Choppers
i wouldn't think so for that little of time. i think its to much oil or a carb problem. But I forgot to add I called my local atv dealer and he said also it might be to much oil so i drained it and put a little in and same thing, but I had it running fine right before I put the oil in?

bubbrubb25
03-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Today I put some stabelizer and treatment in the gas and got it idleing and let it run for awhile and it seems to be running alot better.

Choppers
03-05-2009, 11:19 PM
maybe its a carb problem then or old gas