PDA

View Full Version : broken fibula recovery time ect?

Sprks450r04
03-02-2009, 02:14 PM
i broke my fibula right in the middle of the bone on january 24th. i had it x rayed and put in a splint the day of the accident and then it was casted on the next monday the 26th i was on crutches until this past friday feb. 27th. they gave me a air cast walking boot thing to use for 3 more weeks. the x ray from last friday showed there is still a good crack but there is new bone forming

ok so thats the story, here are my questions.

what is the difference of walking with the boot/air cast or just reguarly? its not like im jumping around like a fool and smashing my leg off of stuff

How long was anyone elses recovery time? because i really want to get back on my quad and start practicing again to get ready for A class

Do i have to go to a phyical theripist? because it feels like my muscles are ceased up

Sprks450r04
03-03-2009, 04:16 PM
noone??

godzilla
03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
It sounds like a bunch of questions that may be best answered by your doctor, not by a group of 13 year olds on an ATV forum.

Good luck with the recovery.

playerz
03-03-2009, 05:09 PM
i broke my tib/fib jan 12 of this year. fib got screws and rodded. In three weeks i was doing physio, by the 4th week i was walking on it. As of right now i can walk on it, still hurts a bit, but my main problem is flexibility in my ankle because i tore a ligament. If i were you i would be starting to move it around and putting pressure on it because the longer you wait the more your muscles will stiffen up. I would imagine everyone's case is different and you should probably see a physiotherapist he will know what to do. You'll probably have to get X-rays to see how far along your bones have healed so he can tell how much pressure you can put on it.

JParisi48
03-03-2009, 05:22 PM
r u gunna be at mototown sunday? i would call your doctor or somethin dude, u dont wanna screw it up more and then get even less practice time... do you got one of them little skinny chicken legs now? haha

Sprks450r04
03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
i was looking for someone that has had a similar injury and the answer i got was all i needed. joe i will not be riding at mototown on sunday because i dont want to re break it and be out for the first 2 races

BlackTrx440ex
03-04-2009, 10:48 AM
do you got one of them little skinny chicken legs now? haha

he always he chicken legs haha i do too so iam not making fun of you

MX450
03-04-2009, 11:14 AM
deff go to a physical theropist (sp?) they will have to you move your foot around and stuff and help you get your full range of motion back.

I broke my tibia and fibula last may, while my fibula healed up, i sitll have a big chunk out of my tibia that has not grown back. I just had surgery again to take the screws out so hopefully the added load to the fracture will help it to heal up.

I would just do what your doctor says, you made out a lot better than i did but you do not want to rush things!

Youll be back on it before you know it, just be glad you dont have this do deal with!

yamahaman623
03-04-2009, 12:22 PM
i didnt brake a bone but i blew out my knee this past december wrestling. its still not a 100% but for you it will go fast becasue its not a joint. and yes you will need therapy because your muscle goes through atraphy or it looses mass so your weak. but good luck on the recovery

Sprks450r04
03-06-2009, 03:54 PM
mine isnt that bad

MX450
03-06-2009, 06:33 PM
duuude thats not bad at all! be glad you didnt break both. the fibula is surrounded my muscle so it gets more nourishment and blood flow so it will heal quicker, again, just do what your doctor says and ask him any questions you have, and deff go to theorpy!

deathman53
03-06-2009, 07:23 PM
I broke my left leg 3 times and right once, 2 rods and metal bracing in the left and metal rod in the right. The first time(only left leg), in 5 weeks I was walking on it. I know this is really painfully, my mom used to do physical therapy, move the ankle back and forth with the end of the crutches, if alone. Or have friend/parent move it back and forth and side to side. It will really hurt, if you put a heat blanket on it for 20-30 minutes before, it will be more limber, but still hurt. Also, I don't know if they gave you pain killer, DON'T TAKE THEM, unless the pain is really really bad. They are very addictive and when you come off of them you will feel sick and go into withdrawal. I was in withdrawal for almost 2 weeks from them. It will help alot with progress to do alot of therapy at home.

The second time, I broke both legs, right arm, ribs, and cracked skull. I was hit by a car. A rod was put in the right leg, metal bracing in the left(part of old rod was left in) and bracing in the right arm. I fell off the bed and rebroke left leg and right arm, a rod was put into the left left and have bolts holding my arm together. I was able to put weight on the right leg in ~1 1/2 months and hospital did therapy(pretty bad also). I should add that ~2 months of heavy pain drugs and being cut dry(my own choice) was horrible, something like 2-3 weeks of horrible withdrawal. Fast forward to a nursing home(really really good therapy).

Now this is 3 months after. I got back home, my mom did therapy with me, mostly moving my ankle back and forth/side to side. I did leg lifts and using my leg to push against someones hand. Went on the crutches, 5 days later, used the crutches used the crutches to re-learn how to walk. Re-learning to walk was really really painful, almost 2 weeks of pain that alot of people couldn't take.

In the meantime I had to re-learn to write(did it myself), 4 months after, I was back on my dirtbikes/atv's. I was able to do everything that therapy could do at home, I personally believe therapy is a waste of time/money. They didn't do anything that I couldn't do with a set of ankle weights and someone to help me out.

I will give a really good tip, it helped me out alot. Join a gym with exercise bikes and a pool. Swimming builds up your muscles, tones your muscles and has almost no stress on your arms/legs, makes a great and kinda fun therapy. Then use the exercise bike and put in on the least resistance, basically just free spin. It tones your muscles, stretches your ankles and limbers up everything. Your recovery will fast track big time doing this. You'll be back to riding and back working in no time. I was back to riding in 4 months and working in 6 months in what would take alot of others 2-3 more months to do.

motofreak2772
03-06-2009, 09:02 PM
I had a similar experience, but i broke both bones and it was more towards my ankle, I didnt ride for a lil over six months. theropy was just for stretching my joints from being in a cast for so long and not moving(moving your leg for the first time hurts more than breaking it lol). the boot is just a transition from cast to no cast and so that your not moving it around too much. But if your already in the boot than it wont be much longer before you can ride.

Sprks450r04
03-07-2009, 08:52 AM
that really makes me feel better about this. this is the first bone ive ever borken so i had no idea what it was like

CTmxyfz
03-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Coleman can ride around in a pink skirt:blah:

first broken bone? LUCKY. ill trade my messed up back problems right now for that leg.

Sprks450r04
03-09-2009, 06:54 PM
i think i would look good in a pink skirt:D

CTmxyfz
03-10-2009, 09:28 AM
:eek: hurd might find you attractive then?:devil:

heal up man