PDA

View Full Version : winter maintenance issues

eprovenzano
03-02-2009, 10:30 AM
My son's quad a 99 400EX needs some winter maintenance. Since he's at college, I'm stuck doing the maintenance. We purchased the quad used, and I knew it needed some TLC when we got it.

So this past weekend I thought I'd change the oil, and remove the very flimsy and cheap nerf bars. 1st drain the oil from the tank. Put my socket on the drain plug, her give it quick tug, and O crap.... the bolt was so tight, the 1 inch tube with the drain bolt screws into broke away from the tank... yea I was not a happy camper. Ok drain the rest of the oil from the engine. Pull the old filter... wait it was in backwards... Ok then.... pull the oil tank; clean it up so it can be repaired. My buddy stops by and tells me about this material he has to repair the tank. I cannot remember the name of it. It comes in a roll, you cut the material and then work it together as there is two components one inside the other, mix it well, as it will set in 5 min, hardens in 1 hour. So I repair the tank and set it aside.

The nerf bars "should" be easy... On the rear, they are bolted on with the foot pegs. Simply remove the foot pegs. 1st side, somebody has replaced on of the bolts, with a smaller one that goes through the frame. The other comes out without too much of a fight. The 2nd side, again someone replaced the OEM bolt with a smaller one that wet through the frame. The other is not a metric bolt, its not even screwed in all the way. Well it tight, and of course I snapped the head of the bolt off. Good news, I got the nerf bars off, bad news I need to remove a broken bolt… First soak the bolt with PB Blaster. It still wouldn’t move. Then I used a propane torch to heat the frame around the bolt. With a large pair of locking pliers (and a little luck) I was able to extract the bolt. With only one original bolt, I was off to the hardware store to get replacements. Now that I think about it, it wasn’t the nerf bars that were bad; it had to be the bolts holding on the foot pegs that were the issue. My problem is if you don’t have the proper bolts, please, please go the hardware store, or automotive parts store, and get the correct ones. I wasted at least three hours getting the damn nerf bars off because they didn’t use the proper hardware.

I get new bolts, and the foot pegs are mounted properly. I reinstalled the tank, filled up the fluids, and all is well in my world again. The tank repair seems to be holding up well, only time will tell.

Ok, I feel better now, I just needed to vent.

jcs003
03-02-2009, 11:01 AM
you should rplace the tank with a good used one or a new.

brian76708
03-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
you should rplace the tank with a good used one or a new.

yea i agree, its not worth possibly blowing up your motor if it breaks without u seeing it.

NacsMXer
03-02-2009, 03:00 PM
The material your friend is talking about is probably JB weld, which works on some repairs, but I wouldn't repair the broken drain bolt with it.

The same thing happened to my oil tank years ago....snapped the bottom out of it. The good news is you don't need a new oil tank, it can be repaired.

Take it to a place that can arc weld aluminum. In my case, my oil tank broke while I was on a trip, but I was able to take the tank to a local boat shop. Most boat shops deal with welding aluminum. After I got the tank back, it had some serious beefy welds around where it broke and was much stronger than it was to begin with. It has been fine and hasn't leaked a drop ever since.

hondaking52
03-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by eprovenzano
1st drain the oil from the tank. Put my socket on the drain plug, her give it quick tug, and O crap.... the bolt was so tight, the 1 inch tube with the drain bolt screws into broke away from the tank.... haha, i did the exact same thing when i got got mine!!!, you SOB!!!! haha, i did the same thing, cleaned it up and took it to a very good welder, he was able to weld the bung back into the tank! thank god!!, i hope ur patch holds!

03-02-2009, 04:01 PM
same thing happened to my tank... I just bought one off ebay. I got another one for like 10 bucks for back-up in case it happens again..

scuzz
03-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Here you go!

With the oil lines *and* cooler $69.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-400EX-OIL-TANK-COOLER-LINES-400-EX-TRX400_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q 3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c29 3Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZi tem140304463048QQitemZ140304463048QQptZMotorsQ5fAT VQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://i7.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/36/1e/6316_1.JPG

scuzz
03-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Even better:

$35 shipped!

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=386388

dunatic
03-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Ive got a factory OEM one (tank only...no lines ro coller) for $25 shipped.

I bought an oversized tank when I did my build up