PDA

View Full Version : Pro Design Kill Switch on the Polaris Outlaw 525

Outlaw212
03-02-2009, 05:11 AM
I just wanted to post this because I could not find this information anywhere else.

I just installed a Pro Design kill switch on my 2008 Outlaw 525 IRS and wanted to post how I did it to help others out.

The Polaris is wired so that in normal operation none of the switches are grounded. As soon as the electrics become grounded, the bike shuts off. Thus the theory behind the kill switch.

I was not comfortable hacking into my stator wires as per the instructions and so I started looking for another option.

I recently installed a new throttle and in the process disabled the TPS (throttle position sensor). TPS is stupid.

Anyway, that left two raw wires exposed on my handlebars, one black, one brown.

Turns out that if you connect these two wires the engine will shut off! (that is what the TPS does)

So I wired the kill switch to those two wires. Black is the positive, brown is the ground. The long wire on the kill switch goes to the black, the short wire goes to the brown. Shrink wrap for protection. Simple. Done. Works.

After talking with a Polaris mechanic, this is where the factory installed kill switch in spliced in as well. If you look at your stock throttle, there are two wires going in (TPS) but there is space for four. The additional two spaces are for a kill switch so maybe I am on to something here...

Hope this helps.

Outlaw6;=-
03-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Which twist throttle to u install?

Colby@C&DRacing
03-02-2009, 08:51 AM
One wire to ground and the other wire to the positive spade connector on the coil works really well also.

Outlaw212
03-02-2009, 09:22 AM
I agree.

That is the factory instructions but I am just offering a simple alternative.

My install was very simple and very clean but my main purpose was to just have it on record for other Outlaw owners to use.

I found a lot of other install instructions for other quads but none for the Outlaw. They all told me cut the red wire or the blue wire or the lime green wire with the hot pink polka dot tracer but that was of course no help with the Outlaw wiring harness.

So now there are Outlaw instructions on record.

fasterblaster02
03-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
One wire to ground and the other wire to the positive spade connector on the coil works really well also.

I am about to install a Pro Armor kill switch on mine and wondered what you meant by the positive spade-is that the only wire going into the coil?

eerhard09
03-02-2009, 11:51 AM
I have a problem with these switches (Normally Open), the ones that ground out the electrical system to cause the motor to shut off. I use the opposite type of kill switch, a Normally Closed switch, that wires in series with the red kill switch on the black blob. It acts the same way as the red switch, breaking the connection when switched to the off position, in the kill switch, when the pin is pulled out.

The kill switches are kind of opposite from what you would think. When I think of a Normally Open switch, I would think of the normally open position as the position the switch is in with the clip out. The Normal position on kill switches is the circuit's state with the safety clip in place. THat is why I use a Normally Closed kill switch in series with the red kill button wires. There is no chance of burning up any of the electrical components by grounding out the electrical system.

Ok, stepping down from my soap box now....lol

sleddog66
03-02-2009, 12:35 PM
There is a pigtail from the factory under the front cowl just for a tether. I purchased the polaris tether and pluged right in, no splicing or cutting. I do not remember if it was normally open or closed???:D

fasterblaster02
03-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by sleddog66
There is a pigtail from the factory under the front cowl just for a tether. I purchased the polaris tether and pluged right in, no splicing or cutting. I do not remember if it was normally open or closed???:D

what year was this on? and where exactly did you find it?

SSJEFF
03-03-2009, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by fasterblaster02
what year was this on? and where exactly did you find it?

Not sure if the 09 is the same, I imagine it is, but all Polaris predatorsand Outlaws have the wires under the hood for the teather switch.

Now to really school you guys, if you do more research on other sites cause I am not sure if it is on here.... You will find out that the teather switch wire under the hood on the KTM motored quad are very sensitive. Getting the switch wet will actually cause problems. I do not recommend using the wires under the hood or the TPS wires(same as the teather just branched off under the hood). I would use Colbys way, the stator way, or the Erics way using a normally closed teather switch in series with the red kill switch.

Now, the 500 is not so sensitive until you throw a Dyna FS ignition on it. then youwill have issues with water and the engine not running.

......dismounting soap box......

sleddog66
03-03-2009, 04:38 AM
The pigtail is on a 07 525 IRS, but I have heard others coment the 08's have this also. If you pull the front cowl/headlight housing, the pigtail is just above and infront of the fuel tank. Directly below the handle bars on the left side(from the drivers posistion)It is a 2 wire plug in. I can't remember if it is 2 brown wires, or a black and a brown? If you buy a polaris #2874379 tether, it will plug right in.

Outlaw212
03-03-2009, 07:09 AM
All I can say is...

Shrink wrap. Shrink wrap. SHRINK WRAP!

As long as you use weather resistant couplers and then shrink wrap each wire separately then you will be fine in the wet conditions.

This is what I love about electrics; there are probably 13 ways to install this kill switch and everybody thinks their way is the best. The truth is, as long it works, is safe and gets you on the racetrack past safety inspection, it doesn't matter how you wired it up. Just do whatever works for you. The factory pigtail is certainly an interesting option. Splicing into the TPS works. Slicing into the kill switch with a normally closed switch is effective. Using the stator wire is what Pro Design recommends.

Do whatever you feel comfortable safely installing.

Once again, my goal was just to have this discussion on record to help other Outlaw owners.

Seems to be working...

fasterblaster02
03-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Yes I always do my electrical connections with heatshrink connectors. I work for a trucking company and I have learned how important it is to have weatherproof connections, because these trucks are subject a lot of water and road salt, so I know how to do a good weathertight connection. This has definitely been an imformative thread so far though. thanks for the help guys!!

fasterblaster02
03-03-2009, 08:54 PM
I think I found the plug, is it a small black plug with a brown and a black wire going to it?

SSJEFF
03-04-2009, 04:00 AM
I used to not care how and just that it worked....then my quad stalled going up a hill because of the teather......you decide.....

fasterblaster02
03-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by SSJEFF
I used to not care how and just that it worked....then my quad stalled going up a hill because of the teather......you decide.....

Im curious, what exactly happened that killed the motor?

sheriff525
03-06-2009, 11:20 AM
How do you disable the TPS?

Outlaw212
03-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Cut the wires!

That's a sure fire way to disable most any electrical system.

(not recommended when working with bombs!)

SSJEFF
03-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster02
Im curious, what exactly happened that killed the motor?

I went though a water hole right before a hill, got water in the Pro design and it stalled on the hill . Luckily it was not a bad one. I cut the wires ad it fired right up. I keep quick disconnect plugs on the teather now.

There is a set screw on the bottom of the Pro Design Teather switch. Take it out and you can pull all the guts out and clean them, then lube with dielectric grease and put back together.

sheriff525
03-26-2009, 01:30 AM
What kind of connections are the pigtails? SPADE? FLAT OR ROUND? MALE OR FEMALE?

Will di-electric grease help with the sensitivity to water?