PDA

View Full Version : Tips for xc racing.

GOODMAN411
03-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Well im moving out of the 90 class and this year be racing a raptor 250 which means longer races and tougher tracks. What are some ways you prepare your quad for a xc race? Any help would be nice(as well as pictures)

XCAdam89
03-02-2009, 12:01 AM
At the bare minimum, You want 6ply Tires, Skids (At least the Swingarm, but most everyone runs the chassis as well), Handguards, and a kill switch..

That's pretty much the basics to get you started, but after a while (And a few broken parts) You'll want to look into beadlock wheels, a steering dampner, nerf's if you prefer them and then start beefing up your suspension.

Motor work should be the very last thing your concerned about. After all, you can only go as fast as your suspension allows you.

GOODMAN411
03-02-2009, 04:42 PM
very true... I now have hipers all the way around with itp gncc's, And hls shocks as far as the motor goes only a pipe... I see a lot of people put on some wire mesh or something upfront? I have also seen some guys tape from there bumper up to there front fenders, and expeience with this,hows it work? :confused:

bradley300
03-03-2009, 09:41 PM
thats just for muddy races to keep mud out of the radiator, not an issue on the raptor 250. only thing you really need to know is dont try to hard and end up wearing yourself out early. drink lots of water the few days before a race

forgiven
03-06-2009, 06:42 AM
I agree with the nerfs, a slip on, beadlocks, bark busters, skids, and better tires.

Suspension will help a lot if you have the cash. With a 250 the slipon and the header will actually make a decent difference in the low end so there will be value there.

luckywarrior
04-02-2009, 09:17 PM
the first 2 things i would do would be nerfs and skids the nerfs keep the other guys tires out of there which could save you from flipping i have seen it many times!!! you cant win if you cant finish!haha