PDA

View Full Version : Is this getting carried away, cleaning z400

288sunny
03-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I was just thinking earlier today while cleaning my bike, maybe i go overboard, but not sure, so i thought i would ask? I always spray my brakes/calipers and chain with brake cleaner. then i pressure wash the whole bike. after that i I dry the bike off real good with compressed air, I use the air everywhere, on the chain, ball joints, all over motor and electrical, like i said everywhere. I then wipe all the plastic down with plexsis, its a plastic wax, works awesome. I leave the sprak plug boot off for a day or so before i crank the bike again.. Im sure i missing a few things, but thats the gist of it.. also before i ride i always spray the chain down with chain wax.. so what do you all think, to carried away, am i missing anything? would it be a good idea to spray the chain after it gets washed with WD-40?

pondrat dvx
03-02-2009, 02:53 PM
pressure washers are a bad idea

knoxville9
03-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Pond rat dvx. is some what correct if you use a pressure washer on your bike you can damage gaskets, washers and other things ( Rarely ) if used around wheel bearings they can cause shortened life for the bearings (Atleast thats what I'm told) personally I think what your doing is perfextly fine and a good maintnence plan I might also add to your list clean air filter =)

288sunny
03-02-2009, 06:29 PM
I clean air filter after every ride unless it just doesnt look dirty and nasty or i didnt ride much at all, otherwise it gets cleaned!
Is WD-40 a bad idea?

airmobile101
03-02-2009, 07:29 PM
The WD-40 might be a bad idea for an o-ring chain. The WD-40 will start to break down the o-rings. As for the pressure washer, just dont put it that close and you will be fine.

kawiracerj
03-03-2009, 01:04 PM
do not use wd-40 on chain.it will eat the o-rings! the things you do for your bike will help alot in the long run.these are all good ideas if you plan to keep it nice. about using the pressure washer: do not spray directly on seals and bearings.most pw have enough strength to actually move dust seals and or blow grease out of bearings(just stand like 4 feet away! thats my opinion.just get some soap and water and get up close and personal to do the washing,it also gives you a chance to closely inspect your machine!!!!

Young_Gun1
03-03-2009, 01:52 PM
you should definitely do the chain wax right after washing to protect the chain from rusting

Flynbryan19
03-03-2009, 01:57 PM
As for wd-40 on the chain, I put it on a rag first, then wipe down the chain links to help against rust. That way its limited exposure to the o-rings.

Everything else seems fine. I use a pressure washer and its fine. The trick as others have said is to make sure your not pointing it directly on bearings, bushings, or gaskets. I hose all the heavy stuff off of the quad with the pressure washer, then come back and get closer with the garden hose. Hasn't failed me yet.

03-03-2009, 02:24 PM
i do all of that, except air it off...oh, i take all the fenders off as well as the wheels to get the hubs clean...and most often the brake calipers...everything gets hand washed after the pressure washers gets all the heavy stuff off...skids come off...air box comes off and gets hand cleaned as well as the air filter...

silicone release is put on the fenders for dust repulsion as well as a coat or armor all for shine...the tires are scrubbed with a brush and then sprayed with something to make them shine...

all in all i spend about 5 hours on cleaning alone...not including tear down and reassembly

stoopidbot
03-03-2009, 03:03 PM
About the compressed air and pressure washer, all the seals are set for atmospheric pressure. Blowing 1200 psi on it is not atmospheric pressure. You stand a chance of messing something up like previously stated.

And as for chain wax, that stuff is horrible. Use oil. light a candle and let the wax get warm and soft...not stick it in the sand/dirt. The same thing happens to your chain.

kawiracerj
03-03-2009, 09:15 PM
i agree on the chain wax,it sucks!!.some lube will do fine! i hope the next time i buy a bike it comes from this guy!!!!!!!!!

288sunny
03-04-2009, 06:37 PM
so what do you all use instead of chain wax, i thought everyone used that... I would think oil is worse??

stoopidbot
03-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by 288sunny
so what do you all use instead of chain wax, i thought everyone used that... I would think oil is worse?? PJ1 Black Label.