PDA

View Full Version : chain issue

rodeo#11
03-01-2009, 04:32 PM
so i recently just put a new chain on my quad its a kmc 520. I cut it to length and put it on correctly but when i went to tighten the chain it would only tighten a little bit. then the chain would start to get lose again. I 'm tightening the chain the proper way and i have the amount of links right because if i take anymore out the the chain wont go on... Any ideas? could there be something wrong with my hub???

Dathon Lawler
03-01-2009, 04:58 PM
yeah i had the same issue few years back just after i purchased the quad. i was walking around clueless for a while scratching my head then i saw it. the swing arm bolt was sheered off on the inside where i couldn't see it. a bolt sticking out on both ends like normal but was actually broke in the middle. ha. never ever heard of what i went through before or since. wonder if this your problem.

Dathon Lawler
03-01-2009, 05:03 PM
yeah i had the same issue few years back just after i purchased the quad. i was walking around clueless for a while scratching my head then i saw it. the swing arm bolt was sheered off on the inside where i couldn't see it. a bolt sticking out on both ends like normal but was actually broke in the middle. ha. never ever heard of what i went through before or since. wonder if this your problem.

btw. there is a forum on the best way to get the bolt out. lol. good luck if this is your problem. just don't goof hit your crank case with a sledge hammer.

rodeo#11
03-01-2009, 05:59 PM
well i just put in a new swinger and bolt plus new bearings all around.. so im still clueless :confused:

dunatic
03-01-2009, 06:38 PM
ok...this could be a problem so double check yours.

If you cut your chain exactly at the length where the axle is either at the high or low point of the esentrics it can spin ever so slightly forward as to loosen itself, even if you have the swinger as tight as you can get it.

One issue that can cause this is the rubber orings around the carrier. If they get a lil wet or slippery with oil (chain lube) that could be an issue. try taking one more link out....but keep the balance of the chain that you remove. If you find that it is too short, cut out say 4-5 more links and replace it with your left over. Keep your master links as far apart as possible.

or

The kmc chains are not the most toughest chains out there. It could be stretching ever so slightly.