PDA

View Full Version : oil leaking

cant400exbeatit
03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
hey guys, i just bought a used 2008 450r from a dealership this weekend. took it out and rode it around for a while and when i brought it back in the garage, i noticed a couple drops of oil under the quad. I got to lookin around and noticed a light coat of oil all over the front side of the motor. I got a light and started looking more closely at it and notice oil leaking from other places. it looks like to me like almost every gasket has oil leaking from it at some point. The gaskets that seem to be leaking are located: clutch cover, between the cases, between cylinder head and crankcase, even some on the thermostat. has anyone else had this problem? any information will help. thanks alot guys.

p.s. i don't believe the warranty covers gaskets

MOVIN32
03-01-2009, 04:17 PM
CK THE O-RING IN VALVE COVER WERE SPARK PLUG GOES IN V-CVER .IS THEIR OIL COMING OUT OF THE RIGHT SIDE OF CYL HEAD , THERE IS A HOLE TO DRAIN OIL OUT OF HEAD IF THIS O-RING IS CUT

cant400exbeatit
03-01-2009, 04:47 PM
i'm not sure i understand what you mean or which o-ring you are talking about? doesen't that drain hole u are talking about drain water or anything else that goes down in around the spark plug? it's tough to determine where the oil is coming from b/c it seems like it's everywhere. thanks for the reply

MOVIN32
03-01-2009, 04:55 PM
CK O-RNG IN VALVE COVER NOT THE BOLT ONES THE PLUG O-RING , ALSO DOES THE AIR FILTER HAVE OIL IN THE BOX ,IOL LEVEL SHOULD NOT BE ALL THE WAY FULL OR IT WILL BLOW IT OUT EVERY WERE

cant400exbeatit
03-01-2009, 07:01 PM
i was just out in the garage looking at it. i fired it up and let it run for a while but i couldn't see any oil leaking or spraying from anywhere, so i have no idea where it's coming from????? that hole on the right side of the cylinder head is dry so it's not leaking from around the spark plug. the air box dosen't seem to have any oil in it either. but i did notice that there is oil on the valve cover and splattered on the plastic above the valve cover. any help is appreciated guys. thanks.

warr72
03-01-2009, 07:30 PM
There is an oil over flow tube by your carb. Check to see if it maybe coming from there.