PDA

View Full Version : Stroker Cranks And Big Bores

honda400-4-ever
03-01-2009, 10:47 AM
I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT GETTING A BORE KIT FOR MY 400. WHICH KIT IS BETTER 426 11:1 OR 440 11:1? I WANT RELIABLITY AND PERFORMANCE. WHO MAKE A GOOD STROKER CRANK THAT WILL FIT A WEISCO OR JE PISTON? SHOULD I GET STAGE 3 CAMS AND A EDLEBROCK CARB ALSO? IM NOT LOOKING TO RACE IT BUT I JUST WANT IT FAST TO BEAT 450R WITHOUT BUYING A 450R. I DONT WANT TO REPLACE THE GEAR RATIO BECAUSE I WANT IT TO STILL IDLE DOWN IN TRAILS AND STILL TAKE OFF. CAN YOU HELP ME. KEEP THIS GOING

jcs003
03-01-2009, 11:18 AM
four stroke tech

RATPACK Z400
03-01-2009, 11:34 AM
with the 440 you could possibly run close in hps but if the 450r is piped you lose! you with those mods are about 33-36 hps depends on cams and port job but thats about it.exs without major mods wont beat a 450r with good rider,My opion get another quad if you want that power!cause its gonna take alot of money to beat a 450r with a ex.you could almost buy used 450r for the money it takes to get ex mods.

buster024
03-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Remember most reponses are all opinion based so here's mine:

First off, forget trying to beat 450's. They are a different bike, a different ride, and short of dropping thousands into your bike, you will never beat them in every situation. You can drop cams, pistons etc, and make your bike faster, BUT I think it's smarter to make your bike work for you. Don't just drop a bunch of mods on there to TRY and keep up with 450's. If you are a good rider, you should have no problem what so ever keeping up with the 450's on trails.
I MUCH prefer my 400 on the trails to a 450. The lower gear and crawling ability makes riding alot smoother, and I feel less likely to pull wheelies when I'm powering over rocks. I also spend much less time feathering the clutch on my 400 versus a 450. I've spent lot's of time on both, and when I trail ride, I take my 400 NO QUESTION. The dunes may be a different story. I'd take the 450 every time.
Spend your money on suspension, intake (exhaust), a good carb (not the Edelbrock), and good bars, tires and wheels, nerfs etc. The 400 stock motor will put out plenty more umphh for you with those mods, and you will be glad you didn't screw around with the motor (at least for the time being). Ask around, or use the search feature. Nearly everyone on here that has modified their bike, says the suspension is without question, the best mod to get.
As far as your carb question, most people will tell you the Edelbrock is a pain in the a** to deal with, and the 450R slide carb is a much better option. I have one, and it was one of the best upgrades I did. Get an adapter from ZRPILOT (he's on here every once in awhile, or I have a spare too if you can't get one through him). Good luck, and keep us posted.

honda400-4-ever
03-01-2009, 01:12 PM
thanks for the help buster024 u just saved me about $2000!!!:Di think i will check on some suspinsion whats the best out there for the mney i dont want to spend a fortune on it....is it possible to change the stock suspenion to a softer level? it seems rough at high speeds on open fields with some bumps and my friend rode it and he said it was rough too

Ruby Soho
03-01-2009, 01:32 PM
a built 440 has comparable power to a stock, or close to stock 450.

but the 450 will come out on top for the most part, unless your better at riding than your opponent

buster024
03-01-2009, 01:49 PM
The stock suspension can be slightly modified, but in most cases you can't really tell a difference. The stock front shocks really suck. They are probably the worst factory part on the 400.

As far as aftermarket suspension, the 450r shocks are an excellent upgrade, and can be purchased cheap off Ebay or this site. In my experience though, I think if you are patient (that's the hard part) you can get a better aftermarket shock that is specifically designed for your bike. I waited and found a pair of Elka long travel quad rate Elite series for a steal of a deal on Ebay (the seller is also an exriders member).

There are several brands of excellent suspension products out there, but make sure to try and think a few steps ahead. First, decide what kind of bike you want to build, then go from there. You may need to think about extended arms as well. You might find a deal on a package with arms and shocks.

The fastest bike out there, isn't the best bike for you necessarily.

I'm tellin' you, suspension will make you not want to touch your engine for a long time. You can see my modification list below, and see that I haven't touched my engine compartment, and I love my bike. There is so much other stuff you can change, that won't affect the overall reliability of your 400 (which is the most important factor to why most of us love Hondas in the first place).
On top of all of this, most non-engine compartment upgrades can be done in your garage, and you will learn more about your bike and your skills than if you just drop your bike off at the dealer, and pay for some hot cams and pistons.
Build your bike around the motor upgrades you may plan on doing in the future. The stock suspension can't handle your existing power, so any more will make it unbearable to ride in bumpy terrain.

buster024
03-01-2009, 01:55 PM
These are sweet, and a pretty good deal (assuming they are in good shape).

check out this item on Ebay... 330310184883

jcs003
03-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by buster024
The stock suspension can be slightly modified, but in most cases you can't really tell a difference. The stock front shocks really suck. They are probably the worst factory part on the 400.

As far as aftermarket suspension, the 450r shocks are an excellent upgrade, and can be purchased cheap off Ebay or this site. In my experience though, I think if you are patient (that's the hard part) you can get a better aftermarket shock that is specifically designed for your bike. I waited and found a pair of Elka long travel quad rate Elite series for a steal of a deal on Ebay (the seller is also an exriders member).

There are several brands of excellent suspension products out there, but make sure to try and think a few steps ahead. First, decide what kind of bike you want to build, then go from there. You may need to think about extended arms as well. You might find a deal on a package with arms and shocks.

The fastest bike out there, isn't the best bike for you necessarily.

I'm tellin' you, suspension will make you not want to touch your engine for a long time. You can see my modification list below, and see that I haven't touched my engine compartment, and I love my bike. There is so much other stuff you can change, that won't affect the overall reliability of your 400 (which is the most important factor to why most of us love Hondas in the first place).
On top of all of this, most non-engine compartment upgrades can be done in your garage, and you will learn more about your bike and your skills than if you just drop your bike off at the dealer, and pay for some hot cams and pistons.
Build your bike around the motor upgrades you may plan on doing in the future. The stock suspension can't handle your existing power, so any more will make it unbearable to ride in bumpy terrain.

very good point. doesn't matter how much power you have if it can't be used.

dunatic
03-01-2009, 02:36 PM
after several engines built for some 400's Ive had in my possession. The Poweroll +4mm stroker crank and the 416cc low compression kit is by far my favorite setup. Combine that with mildly ported head, 39mm fcr or 450r carb, HC stage 2 and a good exhaust and youll be happy, happy, happy for many years to come.

You gain 6+ ft lbs of torque alone from the crank and 10+ hp with the total combo.

It's a night and day difference and reliable all day long. I have a friend whos had his now for 3+ years...never touched it once and runs perfect 15-20 weekends a year in the dunes running mostly wide open

buster024
03-01-2009, 02:52 PM
I agree with that setup. I've heard many good things about the 416 stroker. It's my engine build of choice as well. It's actually a pretty close reality for me. All I really have left to accomplish first is a rear shock and axle, and I've about done everything that I planned prior to the engine compartment.

dunatic
03-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by buster024
I agree with that setup. I've heard many good things about the 416 stroker. It's my engine build of choice as well. It's actually a pretty close reality for me. All I really have left to accomplish first is a rear shock and axle, and I've about done everything that I planned prior to the engine compartment.

Buster

Post up a pic of your 05 4-hensky with the mods. id like to see it. Where do you ride in the sand ?

honda400-4-ever
03-01-2009, 06:59 PM
thanks again for the help buster024!! :D also thanks for the ad on ebay $400 is defenatly a steal of a deal! i hope this helps all the people that has my same problem

buster024
03-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Post up a pic of your 05 4-hensky with the mods. id like to see it. Where do you ride in the sand ?

.....and sorry for jacking this thread.....

I don't ride a ton in the sand. When I do it's one of the normal places around here that I'm sure you go to as well. Sandlake honks, and I rarely have a good time there. Florence and Coos Bay are extremely nice, but it's quite a drive, and I much prefer trail riding anyway. The dunes are for 2-strokes and 450's anyway, and my bike is set-up for trails and track. It sounds like you might have some engine mods, so the dunes may be better for your bike.

I followed the advice I gave honda400-4ever, and decided what type of riding I like the best, and built my bad-boy to fit that style. I can always ride the dunes, but I would rather ride up at Mcubbins Gulch, or over by Lake Billy Chinook, or Chinahat.

Look me up if you want to compare secrets....I'm over in Milwaukie.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h129/buster024/DSC00800.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h129/buster024/DSC00801.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h129/buster024/DSC00756.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h129/buster024/DSC00760.jpg

dunatic
03-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Again........Im sorry for jacking your thread too.

Nice looking henny.

I live in tualatin. Heres a pic of mine

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193082/twinsoutside021.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193082/twinsoutside010.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193082/twinsoutside006.JPG

ThreeDollaBills
03-02-2009, 06:55 AM
I have an FCR Carb on my 440. Poweroll +4 crank.

I've heard a lot of good in the FCR carb. But haven't found out for myself yet.

Idc if I can beat a 450r or not, you can't beat the feel and the trail ride quality of the 400ex. (main reason I haven't get a 450r yet)

honda400-4-ever
03-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by dunatic
Again........Im sorry for jacking your thread too.

Nice looking henny.

I live in tualatin. Heres a pic of mine

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193082/twinsoutside021.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193082/twinsoutside010.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193082/twinsoutside006.JPG

is that a nitrous bottle on the right of the rear??

400exrider69
03-02-2009, 11:32 AM
i've looked alot at fourstroketech and there 500cc kit looks really good and i've not heard any probelms. I've got a 440 kit in mine and it's on the stock rod and i've never had a problem. I plan on this fall putting some money in my 400ex and running gncc with it. fourstroketech has all the parts i need to put a 500 kit in it's like $800 and then i can have a local shop build my motor.
Has anyone got pictures from like 5 years ago of the fourstroketech liquid cooled 400ex i can't find the article or get any pics
if i planned on running with 450r's i'd get 450r shocks and the fst 500 kit

2muchquad
03-02-2009, 12:20 PM
a 400ex with a fcr carb is like a whole new bike.i havent tried the 450 carb but i imagine its way better than stock as well.Mine may not beat a 450 outright in sheer accelleration but its not too far behind.Definately faster in the woods,also lug way better than one.suspension upgrade should be first but i know more power is always funner:)

dunatic
03-02-2009, 12:38 PM
My bike only has the 416cc kit, plus a 20 shot of NOS.

My buddy ryan has the 440 stroker setup, no NOS.

I can take him on the hill with the NOS on, and I weigh 250lbs, he is only 180.

2muchquad
03-02-2009, 12:42 PM
i think he was looking to maintain reliability,so that would mean no nos.

honda400-4-ever
03-02-2009, 02:34 PM
awesome...enough said!!!!! :D how much is a bottle of that stuff and where did get it

dunatic
03-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by honda400-4-ever
is that a nitrous bottle on the right of the rear??

left rear where the tool box should sit

dunatic
03-02-2009, 04:13 PM
awesome...enough said!!!!! :D how much is a bottle of that stuff and where did get it

I pieced the system together from parts. ive built a dozen systems on bikes over the years.

It costs around $500-600 for all the right stuff...then you need to have someone plumb and wire it up so that it works right.

There are some tricks and basic things you need to know when you install NOS

buster024
03-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Nice bike Dunatic.....I like it alot.

I wish I had purchased the Sparks pipe, but that seems like so long ago, I was just getting into riding, and didn't know any better.
What kind of swinger is that, and how long is it? I've got 2" on mine, and man what a difference it makes on trail climbs. I feel so much more confident on hill climbs and just sheer trail grabbing with it.

Ever thought about puttin' a stroker on that 416? I really here that is a great way to go (especially with the Sparks).

honda400-4-ever
03-03-2009, 08:29 AM
how does 450r carb do on the 400ex, how the installation?

ThreeDollaBills
03-03-2009, 08:36 AM
how does 450r carb do on the 400ex, how the installation?
I'm thinking you have to push your airbox back a little, I might be wrong though.

buster024
03-03-2009, 04:28 PM
honda400-4-ever -- read the two sticky posts about the 450 carb at the top of this forum. It's an excellent upgrade. If you use one of the adapters that member ZRPILOT made, you don't have to do anything to your airbox. Send him a pm...he may have some left. If not, I have an extra one too.

Highly recommended upgrade for your bike.

honda400-4-ever
03-03-2009, 05:37 PM
ok i will

03-03-2009, 06:35 PM
I say just make it more comfortable and handle better. You can go further and faster on those mods than motor mods. The right handle bars, tires, suspension, maybe a stabilizer.

honda400-4-ever
03-04-2009, 05:05 AM
what does a stablizer do? i have an idea how it works but i dont know for sure

RATPACK Z400
03-04-2009, 11:59 AM
stabilizer is great for ,long rides, less arm pump,impacks are alot less jolting to arms money well spent !

scuzz
03-04-2009, 12:10 PM
what does a stablizer do? i have an idea how it works but i dont know for sure

It's like a shock absorber for your steering. Example:

When your right front tire hits an obstacle it immediately has an equal reaction on your bar to make them turn that way. Multiply that by every little bump you go over and your arms start getting tired.

The steering stabilizer slows the rate at which your bars react to the given obstacle.

ThreeDollaBills
03-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
It's like a shock absorber for your steering. Example:

When your right front tire hits an obstacle it immediately has an equal reaction on your bar to make them turn that way. Multiply that by every little bump you go over and your arms start getting tired.

The steering stabilizer slows the rate at which your bars react to the given obstacle.
That puts me in the clear. I had the slightest clue what they did.

scuzz
03-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by ThreeDollaBills
That puts me in the clear. I had the slightest clue what they did.

Some bars also help re mediate this effect. Flexx bars are the 1st to come to mind.

honda400-4-ever
03-04-2009, 02:44 PM
what bend is the best on the flexx bars im 150Ibs and 5"11'
what brand is the best on the stablizers

buster024
03-04-2009, 08:33 PM
what brand is the best on the stablizers?

Elka makes a VERY nice one, although it is pretty spendy.

There are two different types. There is a stick style stabilizer that looks like a small shock absorber. This type is typically less expensive, and for the money, is probably the better deal.

Elka's model almost looks like a bar clamp. Elka makes two different models, and they can both be adjusted to adjust your ride.

honda400-4-ever
03-05-2009, 03:00 PM
i dont think im going to get that,im going to get the 450r carb put i cant find any step by step tips to modify it to fit the 400. do u know anywhere i can find them